Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Only one samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  2:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
If I were to practice just one sutra which one would that be. I haven't started on samyama yet and currently don't have time/inclination to do all 9 sutras. Is it possible to do just one sutra and get settled in it. Of course once I see the result that will motivate me to add others. But it could be a while, perhaps a month or so, to see any benefit. So if I will be doing just one sutra all this while which one should it be. Yogani, can you please answer this? Is "akasha" the better one to start with?

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  2:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gentlep:

If you'd like to take the samyama sutras on one (or a few) at a time, like Clk1710 was doing here, I suggest starting at the beginning of the list, so you will be building the sequence habit in the same order. Much easier that way. It takes time for the sutras to settle in, which includes the order of repetition. This is assuming your objective is to build a daily routine of sutra practice for the long term, which is recommended for best results.

See my comments in the other topic linked above.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  7:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are the meaning of samyama sutras explained somewhere? I thought it will be in the book. Today I got the samyama book from amazon, but that doesn't have the meanings either.I have problem with the following ones:

Radiance
Unity
Wisdom

Radiance means glow? When you do samyama on radiance do you think yourself glowing?

What does Unity mean?

Does wisdom means intelligence, more knowledge?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  10:42:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gentlep,
I am not sure I can tell you what the words mean or rather would not want to give you my perception of them.. but inner silence knows what they mean.. and that is one reason I think Yogani does not give you a meaning for the words.. because once you attach a meaning to the word.. the mind gets involved.. and the power of the sutra is reduced. That is just my opinion. In Samyama when you pick the word and then let it go in silence.. your inner silence knows what to do with it..

Maybe these threads will give you a bit more of what you are looking for...
questions on samyama
Samyama - Effects of each sutra?

I know Yogani says to do Samyama in your own language because we need to understand the meaning of the words.. Lesson 150 - Samyama practice
quote:
With samyama, we are initiating meaning in silence. We do it in a
simple, easy, systematic way. First we create an impulse of meaning
in silence, and then we let it go in silence.

Let's begin with "Love." It is a good place to start with samyama. In
samyama it is suggested you use your most intimate language, the
language that goes deepest in your heart, whatever it may be.

He may be saying this because if I use the word "Love" I have a general idea of what it means.. if however I tell you to use the word "pyar" you would be like "huh?" unless you know Hindi and then you'd say.. Oh you mean "love".. However it is not necessary to dissect the word and get an exact meaning.

If you ask me..I have found that when I don't let my mind get involved.. and just pick the word and drop it.. don't attach a meaning to it.. It works much better for me.
Sorta kinda like Yogani says in Lesson 152 - Q&A – Thinking about meanings versus doing samyama practice ..
quote:
The discussions on meaning have
nothing to do with performance of the samyama practice itself. Some
people are going through some clarification, settling in with
meanings, finding their own ecology. We have many languages in the
group, so you can imagine what everyone is going through. As everyone
settles in, the meanings go to subconscious. That is not part of the
practice of samyama. It is just like, "What is akasha?... Okay, that is
what it is." Then just forget it and do samyama on the words, the
sutra. The meaning is in there. We don't ponder it during samyama. We
just pick up the sutra faintly, and the let go.
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  12:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am doing all the sutras now.

Sometimes I cannot let go of the word for 15 seconds. It just keeps repeating.

Sometimes my mind gets attached to the meaning for 15 seconds and sometimes the meaning just doesn't come.

Sometimes I get lost in some thoughts and more than 15 seconds pass.

Are all these normal or does it mean I don't have enough inner silence to do samyama yet?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000