Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  11:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Yogani,

I have a question. I know you use the I AM mantra and seem to pretty much define meditation as using this mantra. Am I wrong? I know there are other mantras that some use and you prefer this one. Are there other methods of reaching inner stillness or silence that don't require a mantra?

I seem to have a strong feeling of discomfort using any silent verbalizations while meditating. It seems to move away from stillness to use internal dialog. I would like very much if there was another way.

Thanks for any suggestions or counsel.
Jill

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  10:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill:

The "inner dialog" as you call it is a normal part of mantra meditation. All thoughts that arise during deep meditation correspond to the release of energy as purification occurs deep in our nervous system when we go to stillness with the mantra. The procedure is to easily come back to the mantra when we realize we are off it. It is a cycle that is repeated over and over for our time of meditation twice daily. We easily favor the mantra over any thought processes that may come up during deep meditation. Thoughts will happen. When we notice, we favor the mantra, which takes us to stillness over and over again. The procedure is very simple. In time, the procedure becomes an automatic habit, which takes us deeper and deeper in our meditation. The whole process and its results become very refined over the long term. It is a journey to abiding inner silence and personal freedom.

If thoughts or sensations in meditation become overwhelming, we have procedures for dealing with that as outlined in the AYP lessons and books. Also, it is very important to take adequate rest at the end of each meditation session to allow the inner releases that are occurring to stabilize before we get up. If we don't rest enough at the end of deep meditation, there can be some irritability in our activity outside meditation.

The experience in meditation can be anything according to the releases occurring. The experience in meditation is not a measure of the effectiveness of the practice. Our experience in daily living outside meditation is the true measure. If there is more peace, joy and creative energy in life, then we will know something good is happening due to our deep meditation practice.

If we find ourselves analyzing during deep meditation, we always just easily come back to the mantra at whatever level of clarity or fuzziness of mental activity we happen to be in. The vibration of the mantra can be entertained at all levels in the mind, from clear pronunciation to very faint and fuzzy. We simply favor the most comfortable level of the mantra. Less is more in this process.

Unlike much of our everyday thinking, the mantra and its associated procedure are designed to travel vertically in the mind rather than horizontally. So when we are meditating, the character of all our thinking will be part of this vertical procedure and process of refinement -- the cultivation of abiding inner silence in our nervous system. With this, the quality of life is uplifted and many positive things become possible. We find ourselves to be increasingly present as the "inner silent witness," and engaging in life more as "stillness in action," or what can also be called "outpouring divine love."

There are many systems that use mantra and many that don't. And no two systems of mantra meditation are the same. The goal in AYP has been to come up with a simple effective approach with mantra that anyone can use. There are three levels of mantra enhancement beyond the basic "I AM" mantra, also covered in the lessons. The over all AYP mantra strategy is summarized in this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/188.html

As for systems of meditation that do not use mantra, I am not really qualified to speak much about them. They seem to require longer sittings, and the results reported seem to be slower in coming. Which is not to say meditation without mantra does not work. Obviously it does work for those who are consistent in their practice over the years. It is just a different dynamic and kind of journey than deep meditation with mantra, which also depends on steady practice over the long term. Consistency over time is the key to success with any spiritual practice.

If we want to strike water, much better to keep digging in the same place.

All roads lead home, but not necessarily by exactly the same route. It is best to go to a qualified source when seeking information about any given system of practice.

Wishing you all the best on your chosen path. Enjoy!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000