Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama Sutras and Language
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  11:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All:

From a recent email exchange:
---------------------------

Q: My questions about samyama.

1. I can’t translate all the concepts (from Cosmic Samyama in the Samyama book) like "cosmos – galaxy – solar system" into my native tongue even though I have mastery over them in a foreign language. What can I do? Begin in one language and finish in the other one? Or simply adopt the foreign language for everything?

2. I do not get the importance of a sutra like akasha – lightness of air (and it is the one we have to repeat for the longest period of time) in the series of the nine that you propose, whereas other sutras like unseen obstructions or renouncement would be much more appropriate to reach the goal of yoga in a more efficient way.
Please comment.

I would like to add identity as a sutra, what do you think ?

Thank you for revealing Samyama in such a clear manner.

A: In samyama, we can go with the words/language that have the clearest meaning within us. Regarding some of the sutras from cosmic samyama from the Samyama book, "cosmos" is the universe containing billions of galaxies. "Galaxy" is our milky way galaxy containing billions of stars, our sun being one of those. "Solar system" is our sun and orbiting planets.

Whatever words or short phrases represent these meanings to you are okay, in the language you choose.

"Akasha - Lightness of Air" is a very powerful sutra, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to. However, I do suggest becoming stable in a basic twice-daily routine of sutras as instructed in the AYP Lessons and Samyama book before changing things around too much. And when making changes, do it in small steps, being prepared to self-pace as necessary. This is discussed in the appendix on Patanjali's Samyama Sutras in the Samyama book, and elsewhere.

"Akasha" means "inner space," so the sutra can also be used as "inner space - lightness of air," translated into one's first language, if desired. The effect of the sutra is to gradually cognize the reality of the body as empty space (it is that), which leads to interesting possibilities. The "inner space" version is how it is used in the Secrets of Wilder novel, which contains no Sanskrit. Whichever version we choose, we should stay with that, as it takes time for the sutra syllables to settle in and increase in their effects over months and years of practice.

I can't predict the effect of sutras you may choose to use outside those in the Samyama book, like "identity." It will be your own research. Do let us know what you discover!

Obviously, it is best to be well-established in a good basic routine of samyama practice before engaging in research, so there will be a solid foundation of practice and experience in place. A long term process of purification and opening finds its best results in stable daily practice, without changing things often.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Yogani

Note: Basic instructions for samyama practice can be found in the online lessons, and in the AYP Easy Lessons book. Additional instructions and more applications for samyama practice (including cosmic samyama) can be found in the Samyama book.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000