Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Multi-hour Padmasana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  06:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
[The following has been an inspiration for me and maybe it will be to others here. Taken and translated from this site: http://spiritual.ru/practice/padmasana.html]

Padmasana

Let us have a talk about the pose, called "Padmasana", which is translated as the "lotus pose". To some this pose can seem agonizing, and for others it may be easy. Everything depends on the obstructions/pollution in each individual. However, multi-hour padmasana is probably, hard for all, who did not set for themselves the goal staying in it for a prolonged time.

Thus, why should one sit in the lotus pose, after caving in the back, being straight-line as a post, as if supporting the Earth with the head? The fact is that this pose raises the energy from Muladara-chakra to the Sahasrara. And if at that moment, when the energy rises from Muladara in the direction of the Sahasrara, the body is bent, then the energy stops. Then it is necessary to expand the experience of those impervious places. In essence, to achieve Liberation, it is necessary to acquire experience of the Sahasrara chakra. So, if there is no experience of those chakras located on the way to it, this will not prevent the achievement of Liberation. The more crucial point is the rapid concentration of energy in this state of sahasrara chakra, and Padmasana (lotus pose) will help you to rapidly raise the energy. Therefore sit yourselves down into the pose of lotus, cave in the back in order to know how to rapidly raise energy.

Sitting in the lotus pose, you will be able to control Apana-vayu. Furthermore, this pose helps to control Nadi (energy channels), directed downward and leading to the hellish realms. It is painful to sit in this pose, because the flow of the blood is hindered. However, because of this Prana (Ch’i, energy) is being controlled. I.e. the Ch’i that goes down, can decrease, and the energy that goes up – can increase.

So that your meditation becomes properly deep, it is necessary to learn to control these two moments. For a practitioner, whose actions are directed towards Liberation, the best practice in order to perfect oneself, is the pose of lotus, moreover it is necessary to cave in the back, to raise energy to Sahasrara, maintain concentration and to continue meditation as long as possible. It is best, if you are able to continuously meditate for five or seven days in a row.

The purpose of meditation is the knowledge of our own True Self, our own essence. Meditation is similar to submersion into water. No matter how many short meditations are carried out, you will not reach the essence of the soul; however, you will be able to learn well its shallow places. Because of repeated fulfillment of deep meditations you will be able to submerge deeply, you will begin to understand your core essence. Then, if you carry out the longest meditation, you will reach the goal.

Sit yourselves down into a strict pose, make so that the energy would not descend, raise energy upward, you will straighten back as a string, sit so that the energy immediately rises to the Sahasrara. This can be named the most rational pose for sitting.

You probably have had the following experience. If you eat much, then sexual desire is strengthened. If you eat little, sexual desire weakens. Or, if you do not cease to expend sexual energy, you want to expend it. Here it is one and the same theory. I.e., if you eat much, gradually you begin to use lower Vayu: Samana -vayu, Apana-vayu. When you expend sexual energy, you begin to use lower Vayu in a similar manner. Therefore, if these vayu are not under your control, energy gradually begins to descend. Due to correct practice of this pose, you increase the speed of advancement towards Liberation.

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  10:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If I sat in lotus for multiple hours I'm pretty sure I would not be able to walk afterwards. I'd have to send a good couple hours in corpse :)
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  3:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Same here. After practicing it for two years I am only able to spend just over an hour on either side. But considering I wasn't even able to get into it at first I'm satisfied with the progress.

Padmasana is a kind of active "self-pacing" -- instead of cutting back on practices so as not to get burned by too much energy, one goes through the pain and agony manually, clearing the heaviest hellish karma. The advantage of this is that we can choose the time and duration of pain instead of leaving it up to internal energies to do over a longer period of time.

It is not my intention to advocate side-tracking from the AYP practices as prescribed by Yogani because I believe that they are most effective when followed to the letter. But personally, after giving it a genuine effort for a period of over eight months I have found that Siddhasana just doesn't suit my body complexion. And I feel much more prana movements when sitting in padma.

Padmasana is a worthy alternative for those type of people who have not been able to get comfortable with siddhasana but who still do AYP practices.
Go to Top of Page

amitraghat

India
37 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  02:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I have a different problem. I cannot sit in Padmasana with my feet crossed and resting on my thighs. I feel Sukhasana is not an equally good alternative. I can do Siddhasana but Moolbandha does not work well. I feel Moolbandh would work better in Padmasana but i cannot do it! What should i do? Im looking for some serious help here.
Thanks....
Go to Top of Page

Orahmax

India
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  12:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@amitraghat Rome was not built in a day. Its better to act wise and not to force yourself in doing padmasana. First you need to prepare your body for it. I also tried padmasana but felt a lot of stress in knee region which is not good and can cause serious damage.

I read a post in other thread here where guy recommended this: http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/stret...-stretch.asp. These are few basic stretching exercise which one can do make the leg muscles flexible and prepare it for padmasana.

For now dropping the idea of padmasana would be wise.

Edited by - Orahmax on Nov 08 2013 12:27:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

amitraghat

India
37 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  02:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Orahmax,
Agree with you hundred percent. I have however found my refuge in Siddhasana so no qualms about Padmasana anymore. The trick lay in getting in the perfect pose for Sidhhasana. I have resolved it and i find it fairly comfortable.
Thanks again and regards....
Go to Top of Page

Orahmax

India
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  06:15:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is great amit, can you please share how you do siddhasana with success. I find it difficult to touch my right heel with root of generative organ(pubic bone). Somehow i can fix left heel with perineum.

Edited by - Orahmax on Nov 08 2013 06:21:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

denniss250

India
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2013 :  04:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi this site is very usefull for information about yoga

[url=http://www.liveyoga.webs.com] yoga [/url]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000