Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Tongue Curling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WhiteCrane38

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  06:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit WhiteCrane38's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
A few times during recent meditations i have noticed that my tongue begins to slowly curl back, is this some form of automatic Kechari Mudra and if so is it a good sign?

Thanks all!

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  09:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, WhiteCrane. One of the many things I've learned from Yogani is there really aren't many "signs", especially in the movements and experiences that occur during practice. Babaji isn't sending us auspicious indications from his perch in the Himalayas, etc etc. Rather, what's happening is that obstructions in the nervous system (to use AYP's terminology) are being blasted away at by the mantra, and the resulting friction is creating spontaneous energetic and physical symptoms in the form of movements, mudras, etc. These "automatic yogas" aren't significant, except to say that the blasting's moving ahead and you're on the right track, so keep doing whatever you're doing!

The cool thing is that this indicates that your body has, latently within it, all the knowledge that's necessary. It knows how to do kechari mudra....how cool is that? Adepts have discovered over the ages that their body knows how to do lots of stuff they DIDN'T know about before, so it's not just the power of suggestion. Yoga is latent.

One important note, which Yogani told me via email (but I'm not sure he's ever said publicly...though I may have missed it): just because your body seems to be hankering for a given practice doesn't mean it's time to add that practice. The body hankers for EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW. Self-pacing, the very underlying basis of AYP, says that we only consciously, intelligently add practices according to the guidelines stated. So while there's no need to resist what your tongue is doing, neither should you urge it on, or add kechari mudra right now. Again, this is not God telling you to do kechari mudra...it's just your body reacting to your practice regimen by hankering, like a dog in the back seat of a car after a long trip sensing that you're approaching home. You control the pace of things, even though the dog (I'm really pushing the metaphor at this point, but stay with me) would, if he could, floor the vehicle at this point and probably run over neighbors and crash the car. This is why we have a brain...so we can control such impulses!

That said, if kechari mudra is what's next, practice-wise, and you haven't added anything new in a while, and feel like adding it on, and everything's smooth in your daily life...sure, go for it!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  09:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteCrane38

A few times during recent meditations i have noticed that my tongue begins to slowly curl back, is this some form of automatic Kechari Mudra and if so is it a good sign?

Thanks all!

Yep.. automatic Kechari Mudra...
Yep.. very good sign..

Carry on..

And if you have not already done so.. read up..
108 Kechari mudra – A giant leap for humankind
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  09:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti, I like your reply better :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000