Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Not clear on Mulabandha
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gray

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  11:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit gray's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

I'm not sure I really understand the instructions for Mulabandha in Lesson 55.

quote:
we lightly flex our anal sphincter muscle and hold it.

This I can understand I think, if by "lightly flex" we could also say "lightly tense".

quote:
At the same time, while we do this, we lightly flex and pull up above the flexed anal sphincter, through the pelvis, and into our lower belly.

This is the bit I don't understand. "pull up above"? "through the pelvis"? The only control I have over my anal sphincter is too tense or relax it. I'm not sure I know how to "pull" it anywhere.

I'm certain I'm missing the point somewhere and it's all very simple. Can anyone help?

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  12:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

maybe this can give you an idea:

try to flex and then while inhaling try to imagine
that energy goes upwards.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  12:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gray:

It is done by pulling the lower abdomen in a bit. It is the beginnings of uddiyana and nauli, which are covered later in the lessons. Mulabandha and uddiyana are connected. All of the mudras and bandhas are connected, and become gradually more subtle (less physical) over time -- even as they are becoming much more powerful in terms of stimulating the ecstatic flow, once ecstatic conductivity is on the rise.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  2:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani is speaking about pulling the energy from the external spincter (which controls the central nervous system) through the pc muscles up to the abdominal muscles and so on.

If you are having a difficult time differentiating between various pelvic floor muscle groups, you may want to strengthen your pc muscles too. One way is by stopping the flow of urine mid-stream to feel the differences between the various muscles of the pelvic floor, which surround the rectum. Usually people squeeze off the flow of urine and the anus will naturally tense and feel like it's being "pulled up", as if the anus is cutting of the urine flow, although, through practice, you will notice that is actually the pubococcygeus muscle that is responsible, and will you get to the point that you can pull up the anus and tense the pc muscle, separately and also simutaneously.

There are many websites that you can research that show you how to strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor. As Yogani says, and I agree that eventually the feeling will become more subtle, once the prana moves up.

In my opinion, and from experience, what is happening is that we are following the path of prana as it moves from the gross bodily systems to the finer, more developed/evolved systems. In other words, this energy is moving, and being percieved, from lower bodily system to higher bodily system from the path of creation and evolution.

For most, this energy moves from the coccyx to the brain. From the muscular skeletal system, digestive system, respiratory system, circulitory system and so on - Once the prana reaches the cardiovascular system (heart center) the manner of perception changes, from this point on, so there is no longer sense perception, via the nervous system - but the subtlety of this energy is experienced by the mind. In other words, these other experiences will not be attached to the body, or the senses, after this point when the throat, third-eye and crown are open. That is my experience with the higher chakra centers activating first, in comparison to the lower:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Jun 14 2007 3:12:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

salvation

19 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  12:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit salvation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been practicing the bandhas for last 15 months.Earlier I also faced this problem.My experience with mulabandha is that when I do it when stomach is some empty (about 4-5 hours after the meals),it is easy for me to do bandhas.
The anus is pulled slightly inside,move the belly inside and lower abdomen pulled upwards But if the stomach is not much empty,then it seems slightly difficult.
Don't give much stress in pulling up,it should be comfortable.With some time,you will see the difference.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  1:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
is this similar to the pelvic floor exercise of Pilates and then followed by navel to spine pull in?
thanks
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  3:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Lets try to get to the bottom of this everyone seems to be shying away from the sexual aspect of this and you cant because that's what it is sexual energy... or at least the same energy that fires up sexual arousal.

When you flex the anal sphincter you also flex that small area of muscle between the anus and the sex organs that is actually the base of the penis (yes it goes back that far) this is what we are going for!!!
Practice anytime flexing the anal sphincter until you get a pleasant sexual feeling right there in that area of muscle, soon you will find that it only takes the slightest twitch of that area to get this.

Once you have achieved this everything becomes easier just the slightest twitch there and hold it so you feel that sensation all the time, THEN we pull upward slightly again a very subtle and slight movement (you will find this almost automatic)

Now breathing in between the root and the brow imagine the breath is carrying that energy up that tiny nerve in the centre of the spine and you will soon start to feel that sensation as cool energy traveling upward and warm energy on the way down. This sounds much more complicated than it really is so I hope i have explained it well.

Hope this has been of some help.

Edited by - Richard on Jun 17 2007 3:32:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

gray

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  06:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit gray's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou all for your suggestions. I'll see how I get on.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000