Bodybuilding & Enlightenment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

theglock

26 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  6:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit theglock's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Even so, as you say, they are "quietly" into it. If I would even dare to bring it up they'd of course neglect it (like most girls during middle school with masturbation) then secretly do it. If that is the case with your progress then I hope I have enough mental disciple to never stop doing AYP! My meditation today was rather impressive and quite a leap, I think for the first time I experienced sole consciousness. I was in siddhasana which is my regular posture of choice (rather comfortable) and all I felt was the slight ectastic nature of the pose. I felt a deep inner warmth and saw a faint light inside as well, kind of like the light given off by a candle. Afterwards my ear felt kind of popped for a hour or two and I feel very relaxed. All in all, it is great!
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  6:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by theglock

Thanks for the reply Kirtanman. I was thinking that myself that I was using boxing as a delusion just to escape stress momentarily, but I have realized myself after re-analyzing that the stress still remains, you cannot escape it. I probably will continue to box as I like the exercise and the movements and what not, but after reading your posts I do believe my reasons for it have changed.

Hi theglock and Kirtanman,

I guess it depends if the boxing is against another person or if you are using a heavy bag or speed-bag instead etc. But I can definitely relate to how exercise/ exertion has always been a great way to dissipate excess energy (which includes excess anger) but it most certainly won't remove the reason you felt the anger in the first place which is really the critical part of the equation. You can certainly bring yourself back to a balanced level of emotion for the short term by channelling it into intense exercise, but unless you address the belief and thoughts which ignited the emotional upheaval in the first place, I agree with Kirtanman you aren't going to get anywhere lasting in terms of feeling good.
quote:
I just say it's hard I suppose, living in a world with such negativity, and all the hostility and what not. I was watching an interview done on swami nostradamus virato (a disciple of Osho) and he was saying that even as an enlightened teacher he has to continue to practice to keep himself where he is due to the outside world, or something like that. The way modern man is it is just too difficult almost to succeed on a spiritual path. I hope when I grow I can move to possibly a more spiritually aware community, or simply a nicer one. Thank you all for your replies, you have been of very much help to me.

The one thing that I have noticed in the last while on my spiritual path is that what I have always referred to as the “negativity in the world” or at least the part that comes towards each of us personally, is actually the greatest teacher for us all on our path to self-realization. The people who irritate us and push our buttons are our greatest teachers even though the lessons can be difficult and at times painful. The emotional pain they trigger in us points us unerringly to the issues, conditioning and false beliefs we need to clear out to achieve greater levels of self realization and eventually to experience our natural state of abiding peace and inner contentment.

Like Kirtanman says, keep that AYP practice going and add in lot’s of self-enquiry once inner silence comes up!

Best of luck!
Go to Top of Page

theglock

26 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  7:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit theglock's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply, Anthem11 & anthony. I think my inner silence is progressing quite nicely actually, if I close my eyes anywhere where there is some silence I can sometimes lose myself in my mind and enter a light meditation state. There is one thing Osho mentions of being aware of your body throughout the day which I did for a day or so and it felt like a type of awake-meditation so to speak.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  8:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glock said, “The way modern man is it is just too difficult almost to succeed on a spiritual path.”

“The consciousness is constantly expanding, even during our daily living. Raja Yoga accelerates this expansion. Obviously a person who withdraws from the noise of the world and devotes his whole life to Raja Yoga has a better chance of reaching the goal faster than one who practices the exercises in the midst of a feverishly pulsating city life. On the other hand, our progress is governed by the laws of the mind. Persons living in a city can also reach the goal if their desire for freedom and happiness is great enough. (Yogani calls that bhakti.) It would be useless to retire to the lonely caves of the Himalayas in order to practice there, if we were to take along our selfishness and our longing for the joys of the material world. This would be a much greater obstacle to progress than difficult external conditions. Those who are no longer bound to any outside things can reach the state of blessed illumination in the midst of a busy city, in a rented flat, amongst modern furnishings, to the noise of the neighbors, to the tune of the family radio—just as if they were alone in the depths of the forest. This point must be emphasized because many persons believe that city life is an obstacle. Those who believe this are hindered by their belief, not by city life itself.

We repeat, the obstacles to our progress are always within us, not without.”

Quote from book, Raja Yoga, by Selvarajan Yesudian and Elisabeth Haich.

Everything we do is a vehicle for growth. Everything.

Some things produce more growth. There is a greater return on your investment.

Yoga is a skill. The more you practice the better you get. It is just like martial art. You are a better boxer now than when you started. If you continue, in a few years you will be better than you are now.

The habits you are cultivating now will be that much smoother, automatic and more appropriately expressed. You can think of many examples of this, I am sure.

If you stop, the skill will atrophy. You will be able to revive it if you pick it up again and improve faster than when you started cold because you will have laid the neurological ground work. But you won’t be where you would be if you had just steadily applied yourself and perfected your basics.

There is a neurological basis for what I just said. It is a very simple concept but has huge ramifications in its application or lack of it. It is called neuroplasticity. At physical level where it is the most tangible and most easily understood, it is the fact that for every thought we think, every word we speak and every deed we perform, there is a corresponding nerve circuit in the brain. And when we repetitively perform a habit, that circuit actually physically strengthens. When we don’t, it weakens.

It is exactly like a muscle. It actually grows or shrinks in size according to usage.

If you look around you, you can probably see plastic everywhere. But it is in many different shapes and forms according to its intended application. It is formless in this respect and is infinitely flexible. It is “plastic.” The brain is the same. It is plastic. You shape it and form it according to what you think, say and do. In fact this process is occurring every second of your life.

So every time you throw a punch that software in your brain becomes smoother and stronger. More importantly, every time you sit in your meditation seat, every time you perform the spinal breathing and every time you remember your mantra, the nerve circuit strengthens in your brain and the corresponding groove in you mind deepens.

It develops a momentum of its own and helps to propel you in the direction you want to go. So, the more you do it, the easier it gets (even when it doesn't seem that way sometimes). Just sitting in your meditation seat is setting off a chain reaction of neurological impulses associated with your practice that gets stronger and stronger every time you do it. Neurologically, this is why.

It is why smokers have such a hard time quiting. That circuit is so huge and wired into so many triggers, that when that tiny little “no” circuit tries to stop it, it is totally overwhelmed. But every time the no circuit wins, it grows and the smoke circuit weakens.

We can use this principle for better or worse. I think you see how you can apply this to AYP and your life.

Glock said, “I hope when I grow I can move to possibly a more spiritually aware community, or simply a nicer one.”

I wish you the same.

Best wishes, yb.
Go to Top of Page

theglock

26 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  9:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit theglock's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow yeah I really needed to hear that. I had read you posting the Raja Yoga thing before but never applied it to my current situation or just simply let the stress run out of my brain. I hadn't meditated the day before today which could explain some of my added negativity. As always, thank you for the insightful post, yogibear. You will help greatly on my path!!
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  10:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi theglock,

although I've never been involved with it, I'd tend to believe you that combat can be a good way to release anger. The important thing as I see it is to keep the combat within the form of a sport where no real damage is done.

But there is concern that boxing does real damage. I'd have no issues with boxing at all if no hitting to the head was disallowed -- and neither would the medical profession. Those hits to the head are a matter of concern and are controversial. Some say that at the amateur light-weight level, no damage is really done. I'm still wary. I have my doubts.

Have you thought of something like wrestling instead, or other combat sports that are not considered harmful? You'd probably be able to use it similarly to get out that youthful agression and anger and focus it into the discipline of combat. Without the concern that you are doing any real harm.

Go to Top of Page

theglock

26 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  10:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit theglock's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I box I don't spar, I simply put on some gloves and hit a bag, sorry if I did not mention that.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  10:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I box I don't spar, I simply put on some gloves and hit a bag, sorry if I did not mention that.

LOL! Knock that bag out, dude! And meditate too, just not at the same time.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jun 17 2007 10:40:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

theglock

26 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  11:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit theglock's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to be careful now though, the mangos are in season, lol!
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  01:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony, thanks very much for your reply.

Actually yogibear, the body does not display many attributes common among meat-eaters - particularly sharp teeth, elongated jaw, high levels of HGL, or a short GI tract. The fact that the human body does not seem to be designed for consumption of our fellow animals is the reason for many illnesses.

For me, determining what is the natural diet of a wild human is a good standard and starting point. That is just me.

I am familiar with your argument regarding vegetarianism. If you are happy with a vegetarian diet, more power to you. You can check out the links if you want for another viewpoint.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/ful...cetype=HWCIT

http://www.beyondveg.com/index.shtml

As one gastroentololigst put it, "The only real disease is an unhealthy colon."

Bernard Jensen, N.D. is well respected expert in this field.

Being that when you eat meat you are eating something that is dead, and has been dead for quite some time and is decaying by the minute, your body needs to produce excess HGL to break it down, which results in an acidic state of the body...which the body counteracts by taking calcium from the bones and stomach lining and so on.

Magnesium, too. It is also argued by different “experts” that dairy, grain and sugars (having an acidic effect on the body) and a deficiency of fruits and vegetables are what actually cause this.

By eating a vegetrarian diet of healthy living foods, the only possible thing you may lag in is protein...which is a good thing is by lag you mean eat less than the SAD (standard american diet).

It is very, very sad.

As far as omega acids go, they can all be gained through flax, almonds, soynuts, and many other sources.

It boils down to an enzyme that is necessary to convert vegetable omega 3s into a usable form for humans and how effective that is. Choose your expert. Here is a good link.

http://www.mercola.com/2006/jan/14/...fish_oil.htm

And as far as B12 goes, which is the ONLY thing you cannot gain from a vegetarian diet alone as far as research knows as of now, scientists aren;t even sure that it doesn't originate in the body independently, not to mention an average store is sufficient for something like up to 30 years.

If there was ever a can of worms to open it is the one containing the bazillion dietary belief systems. You can really get lost in the quagmire. Best not to.

Probably why Yogani likes to keep it at “light and nutritious.”

Wish you well, Anthony, yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Jun 18 2007 7:08:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  12:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, as far as the argument in favor the the wild man diet, it is often assumed that primitive man ate A LOT more meat than he actually did. Perhaps a good deal less than 1/3rd of ancient man's diet likely came from meat, and if it did it was most likely lean meats like fish. If you have ever heard of the Paleolithic Diet, it is a diet that allows lean meats, but in very low quantities.

Interesting sites, i will check them out
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  1:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting link:

Yogananda's younger brother

http://www.yogaexpo.com/index2.htm
Go to Top of Page

theglock

26 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  5:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit theglock's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing, thank you for the link, yogibear! After reading the front page I was simply bombarded with those pictures of him - he is probably bigger than 60% of the people in my gym! I have been doing AYP meditation and spinal breathing for 3 weeks now. After a month I will attempt to progress to the next step. I hope I can find an actual yoga teacher to help teach me the postures. All in time, I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  10:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Note that I've started a new thread here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2732

...about the book I recommend above and a possibly problematic side effect of its recommended use of ujiya breath during exercise.
Go to Top of Page

anij_u

Estonia
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  06:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am new in yoga topic and I have a same question as the thread starter - Is it possible to connect AYP and Bodybuilding (what means regular heavy weightlifting 3-4 times a week). I want to improve my life at each aspect and be more happier!

Is it so, when we do too much hard work (like lifting heavy), our nervous system get too exhausted and we are unable to reach deep meditation zone (I read such thing in Maharishi Mahesh Yogi book "Science of Being and Art of Living")?

Is there any possibility to do bodybuilding and somehow relax more our nervous system and reach in deep meditation?

I have very skinny upper body but wide hips - so i want to make my whole body more balance and muscular and lifting weights is like a part of my lifestyle rigt now.

P.S. sorry for my poor english
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  1:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anij

Maybe the best way to see if bodybuilding and yoga go together is to try for yourself.

I used to regularly lift weights and meditate at the same time, and I didn't seem to find any problems. When I was physically exhausted from the gym, or work I found that it was much easier to relax into a mediation session and go very deep. Although from meditating regularly I am more interested in yoga than lifting weights. It seems to have changed my interests!

All the best!

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  3:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A strong physical body + silent pure bliss + joy-love-happiness-radiation = good combo :)

Tuning the body mind via the fitness tipps of Yogani after the morning yoga session had great results on many Levels here. More grounding and much faster recovery after too much kundalini or awareness on the one hand, increased health and vitality on the other hand. And as a third, there is much more sex energy happening in life, so new and more possibilities to expand pure bliss and love into this area of life aswell :)

Fitness + yoga = go for it =)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000