Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Who is the guru in you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moola_Bandha

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  11:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is the guru in you, your Higher Self?

Do you even believe in the concept of Higher Self?

Have you ever "talked" to your guru in you clearly? How do you know it's not your Ego talking to you?

Thanks!

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  12:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, Something's there all right... but I don't know *what* it is. Just that it's very Big. ;-)

How do I know it's not the ego? Well... the ego tends to keep me tied up in its neverending loops of hope and fear and anger, and will-to-power. All of the two-year-old's emotions, and restrictions.

This bigger part.... it offers escape from the ego's boundaries; freedom, and a doorway to something larger, *IF* I release my hold upon all that restricts me - from the fear, anger, attachments that define ego. All this on a moment-by-moment basis. Not easy. It's a rolling classroom ;-)

And although I realize each person's inner guru is going to present for them differently, for me at least right now, mine is a definite separate entity (while I'm aware it could actually be a "bigger" me). I don't have conversations with it, I wish I could. It just kind of issues me edicts on occasion. The last one, a few months ago, was "Walk in Me". And, really, that was enough, for now.

:-)

Edited by - wigswest on Apr 01 2013 01:13:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  3:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't see the "higher self" as an individual. I see it more like this. My ordinary personality that stumbles through mundane life, makes stupid mistakes sometimes, has weird quirks and neurosis etc and then there is the part of my that is connected to a greater whole, almost like a spiritual internet. When it comes down to do or die, when it is really important that higher self needs to be trusted even if you don't know why or how but there is a "knowing". It would feel exhausting to live there all the time or maybe it is just the pull of karmic habit patterns that keep our mundane self in the forefront most of the time but with steady practice that "higher self" can become more accessible moment to moment. I guess that is one perspective on the subject but certainly only a small part of the picture. It might be amusing to name my higher self, lets call him "Oscar" and have conversations. I never really thought about that. The reason that I pulled that random name is because when I was in my motorcycle crash last week the paramedics put a wristband on me in the ambulance and for some reason the name on it was Oscar.Maybe from now on I will call that part of me Oscar. I kind of like it. It suits me better than some long winded sanskrit name like Suchalottananda or something.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  4:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The question of what "the guru is in you" means, is addressed indirectly in Lesson 146 where Yogani writes:

"It is important to see... the traditional guru-disciple relationship in the light of these changing times. We are no longer wholly dependent on individual sages and teachers for our enlightenment. We are all becoming spiritually self-sufficient. We are all becoming capable of generating our own spiritual transformation. The best way to become enlightened is by doing daily yoga practices."
http://www.aypsite.org/146.html

Edited by - bewell on Apr 02 2013 4:38:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  4:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Moola_Bandha

Is the guru in you, your Higher Self?

Do you even believe in the concept of Higher Self?

Nice questions to contemplate on. For me, the answer is yes, it's called Buddhi:

quote:
Buddhi denotes an aspect of mind that is higher than the rational mind and that is attracted to Brahman. Unlike manas, which is a composite of mind and ego deriving from an aggrandized "I-sense" that takes pleasure in pursuing worldly aims and sense pleasures, buddhi is that faculty that makes wisdom possible.

How do you know what is talking to you? Manas argues, seduces and wants to indulge in stimulation of the senses. Buddhi just knows.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  5:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

It is also addressed here:

Lesson 57 - The Guru is in Me?

...and yes...

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  7:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can tell the inner guru is not your ego because the ego has delusions of grandeur and instant satisfaction. It thinks, if something really grand would happen right now, you could be really happy. But those things hardly ever happen, and the result is hardly ever what your ego imagines.
The inner guru for me guides very quietly, and in ways I don't think of on my own, and the results actually DO make me happy, but not in grand ego imagined ways, but in peaceful long lasting ways that are unshakable.
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  9:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
After 43 years of regular deep meditation, one of things I have figured out is that certain subtle sensory perceptual apparatus become more and more sharpened, clearer and easier to both tune into and understand. The chief among those subtle senses is what I call Intuition. That is what I would identify as the Guru within me. My intuition has been sharpened by now to the extent that when decisions are to be made, certainly the Intellect (Mind) and Emotions (Heart) are fully engaged. But also, to a similar extent, my Intuition is now also engaged, and that is an ability not attached to Heart, Mind or Body, but to Spirit. We all have it, but it takes much Inner Silence, training and practice to hear it more and more clearly.
Michael
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000