AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 can't let go of breath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikael

27 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  01:26:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit mikael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

this is my first post. i'm glad i found this site where I can talk with like minded people as I'm new with all of this. have been studying eastern philosophy for over a year, but only recently begun practicing.

My mind is quiet, and i am able to let go of thoughts easily, but the main hinderence i'm having right now is my breath. I tried doing mantras, breath awareness, and basic energy work, but i just can't let go of my breath. I just keep trying to control it and it feels like i'm holding my breath, very tense. I'm sure that with time I will be able to overcome this, but i was hoping for some advice from those experienced so that I can overcome sooner.

thank you,
mikael

Edited by - mikael on Jun 12 2007 6:12:34 PM

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  08:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI mikael welcome to the forum

You don't say if you have read the main lessons here or if you are practicing AYP meditation let us know.

There have been other enquiries about breath recently have a look at this post http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=2663#23035 follow the links and that should answer your question.

Hope this helps

Edited by - Richard on Jun 12 2007 08:50:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

mikael

27 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  6:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard,
meditation is meditation, i have read the lessons and i have the Deep Meditation book by Yogani. the problem occurs when i try doing any type of meditation, i just can't seem to let go of my breath and the stillness between breaths is actually filled with tenseness because for some reason i feel the need to consciously control the breath.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  7:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
meditation is meditation, i have read the lessons and i have the Deep Meditation book by Yogani. the problem occurs when i try doing any type of meditation, i just can't seem to let go of my breath and the stillness between breaths is actually filled with tenseness because for some reason i feel the need to consciously control the breath.

Hmmm I really don't know what to add mikael. I do AYP as a stand alone practice and I have never had any problem with it. You have to let go of the breath for this type of meditation,

There are other types of meditation where you just follow the breath maybe they are better suited to you

Perhaps Yogani can come in here with some advise.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  10:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mikael said:
i just can't seem to let go of my breath and the stillness between breaths is actually filled with tenseness because for some reason i feel the need to consciously control the breath.

For this problem, here is an alternative way for you to start the meditation if you are interested. The approach to the start is a little different to the ones in the lessons above. It's not part of AYP teachings. The eventual meditation is not really different to the AYP teaching though, but the approach can help this problem.

With eyes closed, start saying the mantra out loud. Well, it doesn't need to be 'loud', in fact it can be almost inaudible. Just repeat the mantra at your own pace. Now, get lazy. Let it get quieter. Why bother saying it out loud? Let it get quieter and quieter until it almost fades away. Soon you are just about moving the mouth and lips, but you are saying it in your mind. Let the movement in the mouth and lips fade away to almost nothing.

You'll find that your mantra is lazily connected to an intention for the facial muscles. That intention will fade in time by itself. You may find the breath issue fading into the background when you approach the meditation this way.

So, I recommend you give it a try. Experiment. See what happens. See if it helps you. It has helped other people in the past with this particular issue.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jun 12 2007 10:33:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  11:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds like a fantastic technique, I'm going to give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  08:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mikael:

A preoccupation with the breath, or anything else, is a thought, or a pattern of thought. The body knows how to breathe without our supervision. Obsessive thoughts about breath we might have during meditation are a symptom of the process of release of inner obstructions. It is a good thing...

In deep meditation, when we realize we are off the mantra and into thoughts (no matter what kind), we just easily favor the mantra again. If the thoughts continue even as we pick the mantra back up, that is okay. There can be multiple things going on with the mantra present. Our job is not to analyze. We don't hang on to things (including the mantra) and we don't try and push things out (including attention on the breath). We just favor the mantra and let it go how it will. Every time we realize we have lost the mantra, this is a dip into inner silence, whether we have noticed or not. Purification is happening!

We just keep up the simple procedure for the time of our practice, and then make sure to take some rest (5-10 min) before getting up. The measure of our meditation is not in the sitting itself, which can be anything. It is in how we feel later on when we are active during the day.

Over time of twice-daily practice of deep meditation, thoughts that have preoccupied us will tend to become less binding. This is the dissolving of obstructions in our nervous system and the rise of abiding inner silence. It is a gradual shift that takes some time.

If we can't easily pick up the mantra due to an overwhelming sensation or feeling, then we can just be easy with it for a few minutes, letting the attention be drawn to the physical location of the discomfort. This will help dissolve it. Then, after a while (maybe only a few minutes), the sensation will fade and we will be able to easily pick the mantra back up again, continuing with our session. We count the time of easily being with a strong sensation as part of our meditation time.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000