Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Thinking about breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maverick_21

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  1:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit maverick_21's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, I've been practising AYP for a few weeks now and have been enjoying it. I just have a slight issue.

While engaging in the mantra meditation I become overly focused on my breathing, I start wondering, when am I going to take the next breath, and then I think, I'm breathing now, when should I stop inhaling/exhaling, should I take a big/small breath. The only time I am truly comfortable in meditation is when I do not inhale or exhale but passively hold my breath, only then do I feel that I am really falling into deeper meditation. But then I start to think that if I don't take a breath soon then I'll start panting and it will only further distract my meditation in the upcoming minutes, so I decide to take a breath and the problem starts all over again. It is extremely distracting. Is this a normal pitfall, or should I consider other forms of meditation (I believe some Buddhists concentrate almost exclusively on the breath while meditating). Thank you.

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  2:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi maverick_21 welcome to the forum

In AYP we pay no attention to the breath during meditation. Sometimes the breath may slow down and even appear to become suspended for short periods of time, this is nothing to worry about and is quite normal. During deep meditation your body does not need the same amount of oxygen as it does in normal life.

When we become aware of something like this we ignore it and just gently return to the mantra.

There is a good thread on this subject here also you might find these FAQ helpful

Breath slowing or suspension

Hope this will be some help to you don't hesitate to ask any questions at all that's what we are all here for
Go to Top of Page

maverick_21

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  3:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit maverick_21's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Richard, your link about the breath slowing down was exactly what I was talking about, that I'm always feeling ahead or behind of the breathing rhythm. I guess the answer is, as expected, to be patient and eventually the breathing will smooth out. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  3:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again

Yep that's it patience read the lessons carefully, self pace and everything will come together.

Glad you chose AYP
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  10:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same problem. Specifically, I had trouble seperating conciousness of the mantra from breathing. It is one of those things that simply comes with time. After a while you will realize inadvertently that the problem has passed :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000