New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  11:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

How does personality come into being? By identifying the present with the past and projecting it into the future.

-Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  12:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

What relationship can there be between what is and what merely appears to be? Is there any relationship between the ocean and its waves? The real enables the unreal to appear and causes it to disappear. The succession of transient moments creates the illusion of time, but the timeless reality of pure being is not in movement, for all movement requires a motionless background. It is itself the background. Once you have found it in yourself, you know that you had never lost that independent being, independent of all divisions and separations. But don't look for it in consciousness, you will not find it there. Don't look for it anywhere, for nothing contains it. On the contrary, it contains everything and manifests everything. It is like the daylight that makes everything visible while itself remaining invisible.

~Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  4:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In Japan we say hibiki. Hibiki means "something that goes back and forth like an echo." If I say something, I will get feed-back--back and forth. That is sound. Buddhists understand a sound as something created in our mind. I may think, "The bird is singing over there." But when I hear the bird, the bird is me already. Actually, I am not listening to the bird. The bird is here in my mind already, and I am singing with the bird. Peep-peep-peep. If you think while you are studying, "The blue jay is singing above my roof, but its voice is not so good," that thought is noise. When you are not disturbed by blue jays, blue jays will come right into your heart, and you will be a blue jay, and the blue jay will be reading something, and then the blue jay will not disturb your reading. When we think, "The blue jay over my roof should not be there," that thought is a more primitive understanding of being. Because of our lack of practice, we understand things in that way.

~Shunryu Suzuki

Edited by - Balance on Aug 31 2007 4:22:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  10:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

You can observe the observation, but not the observer. You know you are the ultimate observer by direct insight, not by a logical process based on observation. You are what you are, but you know what you are not. The self is known as being, the not-self is known as transient. But in reality all is in the mind. The observed, observation and observer are mental constructs. The self alone is.

-Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  3:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Which books of Nisargadatta are you taking these quotes from? Is there any of his books you would recommend? I clearly see I have to buy some...
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  6:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc

I get my books from the public library here since I have a careful budget and can rarely afford to buy. Unfortunately there is no Nisargadatta (perhaps I should put in a request) so I've been robbing quotes from places like this: http://www.mpeters.de/nisargadatta/index.cfm
Hit "refresh" each time for a new quote

Edited by - Balance on Sep 02 2007 7:57:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  01:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for that link!
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  7:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome!

Here's another quote from that great master:

[One reaches the Supreme state] by renouncing all lesser desires. As long as you are pleased with the lesser, you cannot have the highest. Whatever pleases you keeps you back. Until you realize the unsatisfactoriness of everything, its transiency and limitation, and collect your energies in one great longing, ever the first step is not made. On the other hand, the integrity of the desire for the Supreme is by itself a call from the Supreme. Nothing, physical or mental, can give you freedom. You are free once you understand that your bondage is of your own making and cease forging the chains that bind you.

~Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  11:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

^Buddha
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  12:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Everything is ready

The bulb is there

The power-plant

All the wiring

The switch

The finger

Now be the movement

Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  2:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

The discovery of truth is in the discernment of the false. You can know what is not. What is - you can only be. Knowledge is relative to the known. In a way, it is the counterpart of ignorance. Where ignorance is not, where is the need of knowledge? By themselves, neither ignorance nor knowledge have being. They are only states of mind, which again is but an appearance of movement in consciousness.

-Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  11:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

When the whole conceptual story of a life extended in thought beyond the present content of awareness is no longer seriously entertained, there is a natural relaxing into ease. Identification as the ‘I’, or psychological self-sense, is merely an appearance in awareness, an addition to the appearance of the body image.

-Nathan Gill
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  2:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

The witness only registers events. In the abeyance of the mind even the sense 'I am' dissolves. There is no 'I am' without the mind.

-Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  11:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

The person is merely the result of a misunderstanding. In reality, there is no such thing. Feelings, thoughts and actions race before the watcher in endless succession, leaving traces in the brain and creating an illusion of continuity. A reflection of the watcher in the mind creates the sense of "I" and the person acquires an apparently independent existence. In reality there is no person, only the watcher identifying himself with the "I" and the "mine".

-Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  11:51:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Love is not selective, desire is selective. In love there are no strangers.

-same jnani
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  1:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Many spiritual teachings say that we must go beyond the mind. These teachings see the entrapment that the mind produces but they fail to see that there is no one who is entrapped.

There is no one who can go beyond the mind. When there is no person and no mind it is seen that entrapment is also liberation.

--Richard Sylvester
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  6:25:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

There can be progress in the preparation (sadhana). Realization is sudden. The fruit ripens slowly, but falls suddenly and without return.

~Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  11:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

There is no good and no evil. In every concrete situation, there is only the necessary and the unnecessary. The needful is right, the needless is wrong. In my world, even what you call evil is the servant of the good and therefore necessary. It is like boils and fever that clear the body of impurities. Disease is painful, even dangerous, but if dealt with rightly, it heals. In some cases death is the best cure.

-same fella
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  01:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

The witness is that which says "I know". The person says "I do". Now, to say "I know" is not untrue, it is merely limited. But to say "I do" is altogether false, because there is nobody who does; all happens by itself, including the idea of being a doer. The universe is full of action, but there is no actor. There are numberless persons small and big and very big, who, through identification, imagine themselves as acting, but it does not change the fact that the world of action (mahadakash) is one single whole in which all depends on, and affects all. The stars affect us deeply and we affect the stars. Step back from action to consciousness, leave action to the body and the mind; it is their domain. Remain as pure witness, till even witnessing dissolves in the Supreme.

-Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  6:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

It is the very search for purpose that creates purposelessness, and it is the search for meaning that creates meaninglessness.

-Jeff Foster
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  2:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

This, just this that is appearing right now is all there ever is, all there ever could be, and all that ever was needed. This is what we are. But “this” is not some static thing. It is the very dance of Life, so awake, so vital, so dynamic, a “now” that keeps exploding into what’s next, ever changing yet always the same…

-John Astin
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  11:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

"Love is pulsing through every article of Creation…God has no special moments, and love needs to be radiated even when it is most uncomfortable. We must come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to Love."

~Michael Silverman
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  5:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

The only viable choice

Is to not choose

One thing over another

But to be open

To the choice that is given

Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  12:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

“How do you do Nothing?” asked Pooh, after he had wondered for a long time.

“Well, it’s when people call out at you just as you’re going off to do it:
‘What are you going to do, Christopher Robin’,
and you say,
‘Oh, nothing’,
and then you go and do it”.

“Oh, I see,” said Pooh.

“This is a nothing sort of thing that we’re doing now”.

“Oh, I see,” said Pooh again.

“It means just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.”

–A.A. Milne
The House at Pooh Corner
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  10:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

How do I fill my Father's shoes

When He walks barefoot?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000