AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 digging for gold??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clk1710

92 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  3:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i wonder if anyone can relate, keeping in mind that i'm relatively new to ayp...
i notice that when i'm doing my sadhana at home in the same spot i feel much more connected spiritually, but then times when i'm traveling, especially oversees and dealing with jetlag, time changes, changing locations of my sadhana frequently, etc. i notice alot more restlessness during my meditation and more difficulty connecting spiritually and feeling like i'm just "digging for that gold" but can't see it...wondering what i'm faithfully doing all this meditation for! i do know in my heart the truth and that this "not much happening part" is part of the process, but times like this i'd love to read your testimonials to these practices and how your lives have changed as a result... so go for it, please share everyone!

salvation

19 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  06:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit salvation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi clk,

It is normal that your concentration is not deep when you change your locations.Because new pictures and mental impressions keep coming to mind.when you practice at your home, you get more synchronized with the frequencies there.You can try one thing.

Just relax first and start to picturize your same place of home in your mind...Just try to imagine and feel the things which you see when at home and then start to go deep in your concentration further.Plz tell me your response also....
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  06:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll throw in a few thoughts here. I'm beginning to think that the most beneficial element in a solid meditation practice is some degree of stability in one's life. Which for some people like myself translates into b-o-r-i-n-g. Nevertheless, when the distractions are few, the practice seems to thrive. It's very difficult in these times to maintain the stable lifestyle necessary for this, as so many people travel for their work, have kids with erratic schedules, unexpected emergencies, etc. It's endless. So I think Salvation's suggestion is really good, and I'd also suggest that you try to develop stability in other ways so that there's some kind of consistency. Maybe you can sit at the same exact time every day. Or have something familiar that you bring with you, like a small object or scent, that will eventually become familiar enough that it's a fair substitute for your home turf.

A lot of the distraction that comes with a mobile lifestyle is the mind, which is busy plotting the direction of the day. For that type of restlessness I'd love to know a cure...

Last thought - the term "digging for gold" implies some mental effort on your part, which is antithetical to meditation. Could it be that you're trying too hard? If you can figure out a way to stop your mind from digging, there may be a significant difference in the quality of your meditations. I struggle with this incessantly, btw. :)
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For me it's opposite. I often have very deep meditation outside my home. ON average it may even be better, as long as I feel comfortable and safe about the place.
Go to Top of Page

salvation

19 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  12:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit salvation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Last year I was trying "Tratak" for some minutes in the morning time to calm the mind.But even this could not do much for me.May be other distractions were more powerful..But the pranayam with bandhas & repetition of 'Om' proved much beneficial to me..Now I also try to see from the closed eyes-the darkness or the things I like to see with open eyes,when I sit in meditation....It works better..Any suggestions are welcomed.
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  02:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
clk,
Are you doing spinal breathing? Spinal breathing with concentration on ajna should significantly reduce restlessness. Kechari mudra also is VERY helpful in reducing mind chatter. Press and hold the tongue against the soft pallet on the roof of the mouth during meditation.
With Peace,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

clk1710

92 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  10:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you salvation, meg, alvin chan and lucidinterval1... your responses were very helpful. i'm now back at home but next time i go away i will try your visualization technique, salvation... and meg, that's a great suggestion to bring an object with me. i haven't done that yet. i think also i was feeling so off balance with jet lag, constant activity and little sleep. when i'm at home i have a pretty routine schedule of meditating. i was just amazed at how different it feels for me to meditate elsewhere. i'm sure though the longer any of us do these practices the more everywhere feels like home, right?? i'd love to hear what else you folks can share about how the location of our practices affect us...
Go to Top of Page

salvation

19 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  12:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit salvation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The different surroundings have different vibrations.If they are negative,it is more difficult to meditate.I have recently changed my living room and carried most of the old things in the new room.When I meditate,I don't think of the objects near me,instead I try to concentrate the pleasant things.Most of the time,the other, day jobs come in the mind but still , the small things near me don't come in my thoughts..So,it is my experience that rather using an object,I should try to see the visuals desired by me..It works most of the cases and makes me feel better when I end my meditation...Of course,when I have too much worries,then sometimes it seems that I can't close my eyes & without negative thoughts.Then I don't sit in meditation but engage my mind in music or other entertainments.
Go to Top of Page

clk1710

92 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  8:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i would agree that different surroundings have different vibrations and i never really had noticed this before until i stepped away from my home practice spot for a time and then returned... thanks for your thoughts salvation.... i also have noticed that more than the physical location it is the quiet time with myself that i miss the most when i have those times of constant activity and people people people. i used to live a much faster paced life before i began meditating and little by little i've noticed that i need a daily dose of quiet alone time everyday aside from doing my meditation time. when i try to go back to living how i used to live i notice that it doesn't fit anymore. when i don't get the time to recharge my batteries it's really ME that i miss, regardless of where i actually am. so i think its seeking to find that delicate balance between connecting with our inner and outer worlds..... what i love about these practices is that they really encourage finding that balance while remembering "the guru is in me" (how very cliche!!)
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  11:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Salvation and Meg, everything around us and in us appears to be changing all the time. The rate or amplitude of that change is not relevant to meditation. Our silence is eternal and unchanging, so regardless of how we attempt to "stabilize", everything in our experience revolves around that silent fixed point, like the sky around the fixed North Star. If it weren't so - if we could stop the sky - it'd be a lot harder to find the north star! If anything, it's better to have the contrast be stark. http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1137
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000