Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 siddhasana when sitting on a chair?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  09:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Recently I have to meditate in my work place, where cross-legged position is not so convenient to do. I just wonder what you guys do when trying to do siddhasans when sitting on a chair.

Alvin

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  10:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Alvin

I often meditate in siddhasana while sitting in a chair, you dont need to sit with crossed legs to do it.

Here is Yogani's take on it.

For those who are unable to get into crossed legs for any reason,
there can still be siddhasana, with the effects created by different
means. You can use a prosthetic wherever you sit for pranayama and
meditation. Maybe a rubber ball, or a hard little pillow, something
that will approximate the pressure of your heel pressing up on your
perineum. This is perfectly adequate. You can do it that way. You can
avoid having to train your body in the physical bending and so on.
You will still be training your sexual energy, which is the point of
siddhasana. You will just be using a different method to achieve the same results.

Hope this helps

Edited by - Richard on May 22 2007 10:54:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  11:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alvin, I almost-always use a rolled-up sock for 'siddhasana' equivalent.

The use of a prop here is not necessarily because a person cannot do 'real' siddhasana or is uncomfortable with it. I am plenty flexible enough for 'real siddhasana' but do half-lotus with a sock instead, out of 'yogic preference' (LOL), meaning I consider the combination to be better than 'real siddhasana' in my case. I prefer the more stable seat of the half-lotus over siddhasana and the sock gives the perineum stimulation of siddhasana. So I am actually using the prop as a enhancer, not as a cop-out. It's perfectly good to do that in Yoga, although at times in the culture you will encounter a mentality that considers all props to be cop-outs, which I consider to be unfortunate.

There is one advantage of 'real siddhasana' even for me -- it can be done comfortably in 'public', in contrast with the use of the prop. In fact, the only time I do 'real' siddhasana is when meditating in public, which happens sometimes when I visit a Zen group. Many people would stigmatize a sock placed at someone's genitals. If you can't lock your door at work, you might want to use siddhasana rather than the prop thing if you want to avoid being stigmatized.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  1:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alvin and all
When doing siddhasna I use my car key, which is a bulky one where the key part folds into the main body. It is about one inch wide about a 1/4 inch deep and about two inches long.

Its very handy because I always have it in my pocket.
It is also very easy to slip under the bum, even in public, without people noticing. Have done it several times in airports, the only thing to be careful of is leaving it on the seat behind you when you go away , almost did that a couple of times.

Of course different people have different anatomies so will need different sized objects to have the required effect. I find just a gentle pressure with something solid works well for me.

Cheers
Louis
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  2:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So far especially when meditating in the car, I have used a glasses case, a cell phone, rolled up duster. rolled up sock, a rubber ball anything that's around at the time. It all works!!!

Dont ask what a rolled up sock was doing in the car

Edited by - Richard on May 22 2007 2:34:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  4:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't seen the prosthetic ball for perineum contact on the market yet. Has anyone here? Perhaps that will be a sign of sorts, if or when it happens.

LOL

I've just recently started to get into this pose. I tried it in the past but it was near impossible to get comfortable. After practicing various positions since then my flexibility has increased, and this pose seems to be a natural succession from the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  6:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are all sorts of balls they use for massage purposes. I have one that is probably a handball but I use it for foot massage. You stand on it with your shoes off and roll it around; supposed to be nerve endings on the bottom of your feet. Anyway shouldn't be hard to find a ball of your liking. Jacks maybe?
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  9:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Totally, I'm just saying, when businesses can openly market and advertise balls of various sizes for using during the perfected pose, that should be a sign of sorts. Bad joke, I guess, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  04:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I meditate in the office on a regular basis because this is the only way to have an evening meditation.

Why do you have a problem sitting cross legged on a chair? If you can choose chairs those without arm handles are just as good as a bed or even better because you can allign your spine better. I always do siddhasana except in the cases when my jeans are too tight in which case I leave one of my legs out.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  10:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of replies and ideas! (as compared to my post on the evolutionary basis of yoga....)

Actually, I have always been using a modernized version of siddhasana even when sitting cross-legged, mainly because I think pressing my heel on the perineum is too much and I worry about the possibility of having erectile problem in the future (it did happened to some yogis I knew, and siddhasana is a major suspect). So the sock is my companion in my morning practice. But I don't feel as easy doing this when sitting on a chair. The platform is not as stable, unless I lean on the chair (that will curve my spine somehow, in most chairs)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000