AYPsite.org Forum
 Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Meditation Hangover
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  10:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Wondering if anyone (else) has experienced a "hangover" the morning after a particularly deep evening meditation.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  3:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

Wondering if anyone (else) has experienced a "hangover" the morning after a particularly deep evening meditation.

Jim,
Did you have this experience when you meditated late evening? Did you have enough rest after meditation? Did you have a break/gap between this session and when you did go to sleep?

If I meditate late night and fall asleep during rest.. only to get up and go to bed.. i.e. no significant (at least an hr) gap between the practice and sleep time.. I do wake up (next morning) feeling groggy and heavy headed.. (if that is what you mean by a "hangover")..
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  10:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I'm sort of in the habit of going to sleep right after evening practice, and when that practice is deep, I usually wake up feeling like I've got a hangover...and have trouble getting out of bed (usually I jump right up).

I'll take your advice and build in rest time before sleep, though I figured sleep was the ultimate rest.
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  11:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find it best if I have a few hours of regular activity between evening meditation and going to bed in order to "ground" the effects of the meditation. I think that is what Yogani has suggested too.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  12:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes he has recommended against meditating before sleep. activity is best after meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  12:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, with my sched, for various reasons, activity after evening meditation is not an option. But I wasn't aware that there was an issue with following immediately with sleep. But I'll give it an hour or so if possible.
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  12:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

Hi Jim,

Would you please describe, more specifically, what this 'hangover' feeling is like, and also, what you experience during a 'deep evening meditation'?

I've found it helps others to diagnose a problem if one provides as much information as possible about the symptoms.

I usually meditate 3 times per day now, and it's always deep (as in I reach Samadhi). One of these sessions is usually within a half hour of going to bed, and I haven't noticed any side effects that have caused me distress. So, I'm very curious about what you're experiencing

Thanks,
Nirodha

Edited by - Nirodha on Apr 29 2007 01:06:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  09:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I don't have any better way to describe it than the adjectives I (and Shanti) have offered: groggy, heavy headed, hungover, trouble getting out of bed. By deep, I mean a meditation in which I've let go slightly more or longer than ever previously, evidenced by the ecstacy of karmic smoke from the purification, plus more-than-usual feeling of dislocation (or, more precisely, super-relocation) upon ending meditation.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Apr 29 2007 09:58:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  10:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if grounding activity before sleep would help?
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  11:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, not just grounding but dispersing techniques are necessary for this. Gotta engage the world.
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  11:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

Well, if it were me, and I had this problem, I'd just get up an exercise first thing to jump start my body.

Also, I've noticed that reaching Samadhi during any meditation session tends to energize me. As a matter of fact, I'll occasionally just meditate to give myself an energy boost, if I'm feeling tired during the day - it works every time.

It does sound like you're reaching Samadhi - you mentioned 'ecstacy' which is one of it's main components. And, I've noticed ecstacy tends to produce energy. So, perhaps as a result of this, you're not sleeping as deeply, because your body doesn't feel the need to do so.

If that's truly happening, I would guess that being energized prior to bed is extending your sleep cycle past what it would 'normally' be. (i.e. you're not sleeping as deeply as quickly as you would otherwise, and are waking up from a deep cycle, as opposed to the normal light cycle we usually inhabit right before waking.)

Waking up from deep cycle sleep will make one feel very groggy, and it takes quite a while to recover from it.

Also, you have ever been tested for Sleep Apnea? Most people that have it don't even know it.

Peace,
Nirodha

Edited by - Nirodha on Apr 30 2007 12:10:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  10:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Nirodha

Ecstacy is a symptom of opening...any sort of opening, including a centimeter of new progress in touching toes, or the opening/surrendering of anything that's holding back. In the Indian model, ecstacy is deemed the smoke of karma being disintegrated/purified.

I don't think it's an issue of sleep cycle, as I don't wake up at the same time everyday. I do, however, think I have sleep apnea. But that's an issue regardless of meditation timing, and it's something I'm addressing.

AYP stresses that one must rest after the sort of meditation taught in AYP. It's clear to me from my experiences and Shanti's corroboration that sleep is not a substitute for rest, and that the latter must come before the former. I've made that adjustment for the past couple of days, and so far so good! :)
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  10:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

You're welcome. Well, it will depend on which Indian model we're speaking of - please, keep in mind that there are many, but they all some have commonality. In the particular model I generally adhere to, ecstacy or bliss (piiti) is listed as of factor of meditative absorption (jhananga). And, Samadhi/Jhana (meditative absorption) is said to burn away the hindrances (nivarana). One could, indeed, describe this as "the smoke of karma (intent) being disintegrated/purified". Therefore, while your description of the process is poetic, and mine is technical, we're not in disagreement.

I do agree with you that rest doesn't necessarily equal sleep, although it usually does, as some people sleep quite fitfully. However, the deep cycles of sleep, where one isn't dreaming, are always very restful and restorative.

I personally haven't found rest to be necessary after a meditation session - I just get up and go about my day/night without any resultant issues. However, everybody is different in their psycho-physiology.

Anyway, I'm glad your adjustment is working out well for you.

Peace,
Nirodha

Edited by - Nirodha on Apr 30 2007 10:18:36 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000