Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Incense?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  7:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello.
I have a question regarding incense. I have what I consider to be chronic ENT problems. I have attended a Tibetan Meditation center but was unable to continue because they burned incense and it made my sinuses swell up, as they do in times of anxiety, or exposure to smoke, pollution, or fine particles. Obviously, my oversensitiviy to pollutants could be interperated as a good thing considering only unhealthy things affect my adversely. My question is, why would incense be somewhat of a staple in different spiritual practices when inhaling any sort of smoke is unhealthy and damaging to the lungs and respiratory system?

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  10:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Because our sense of smell is the easiest sense to lead our thoughts away from worldly things. All of our other senses are easier to agree upon, because you can point to the color red; everyone knows a flame is hot, etc. so we agree. But when it comes to smell, there are only a few things we agree upon, and a million odors we don't have much contact with, and so smells tend to bring up old memories, and take our imagination away from the mundane world.

it is possible to overcome sensitivity over time, by high raw food diet, getting rid of fungus in your body like candida, cleansing methods, heavy exercise and water, etc. then these things have less effect on your body.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  11:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am preparing for a fast that will begin in two days. Maybe I will test the effects of incense after I know there has been some purification
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  6:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds good, but sometimes purification takes a long time, and one fast may not make a lot of difference. Some people recommend a 24 hour fast every week.
It took me several years to get my allergies down to where they don't bother me. Just a combination of eating at least one big salad every day, drinking a lot of water (2 liters a day or more, not all at once) cutting way down on sugar including white starches because that feeds yeast and fungus inside us, lots of exercise and meditation.

read this about how yeast inside us (men too) can cause allergic symptoms:

http://www.mercola.com/2004/jun/12/...es_yeast.htm

The stuff he sells on the site is pricey, but the information is very comprehensive, and you can get enough info to find something cheaper somewhere else.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  8:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice. My allergies are truly a plague to me.

I used an incense I bought at a New Age store called Ayurveda Chakral Incense for the Throat Chakra. Not that I expect it will do some mirculous energy work to absolve the dysfunction, but I did assume it would not irritate my throat. It was different than most incense in that it was "furry" instead of somewhat hard to the touch and all natural. It really didn't seem to bother me which is truly miraculous because normally I would be a mess around incense.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  01:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can use scented oils instead of burning incense.
Go to Top of Page

stillness

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  6:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit stillness's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Certain incense has a definite effect upon my energy. If I burn sandalwood incense or nag champa I start getting a lot of kundalini stirring and I'll sometimes have to just lie down and surrender.

If you're going to burn incense make sure you don't buy cheap stuff from local stores. It is usually all chemicals with nothing natural. That stuff gives me terrible headaches and makes me feel very sick.

Sandalwood incense and nag champa incense are very pure (if you get the real kind). Such as Sathya Sai Baba incense or Super Hit. Unfortunately, sandalwood trees have been harvested to the brink of extinction and are now considered an endangered species, so I can't in good conscience continue to buy sandalwood incense. Nag champa incense also contains sandalwood. It is a shame as I find this incense to be very high vibration and it is a joy to burn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000