Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Sharing a thought
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  08:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I found this line in the email signature of somebody and just wanted to share:

Do you know what keeps me going?
Whenever I get all the answers of life, he changes the questions.

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  05:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That was truly a nice quote! Thank you, Maximus.

It is also my experience, that just when you have grasped something, it gets more complicated and new questions arise.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  05:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maximus

I have a question for you.

With all the ponderings and questions, answers, conclusions and insights and changing goal posts - what is it, in this life of duality, that always stays the same?, what is the thing that never changes?
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  05:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sparkle, am humbled that someone asks a spiritual question directed at me :-). I guess the answer is 'inner silence'. Hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  11:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maximus

I wasn't thinking of inner silence, or love, or compassions or any of these kind of things.

The reason being that our experiences and understanding of these are also changing all the time.

Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  12:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Truth
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  1:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert
I'm sure the ultimate truth does not change, but what is that? and does our experience of truth not change all the time.?
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  2:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
what is it, in this life of duality, that always stays the same?, what is the thing that never changes?

As I was reading this the question came into mind my "what is it that changes?"

Happiness,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  5:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing you can be sure of that never changes is the changing itself. Life always changes and you can trust that the state you are in now will not be forever.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  6:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's it emc

The only thing that doesn't change is change itself. Everyting in the whole universe is in a constant state of change. Even a solid steel bar or a diamond are vibrating in their structures, if they didn't they could not exist.
We are all changing all the time every second of every day, in every way.

So if you want a philosophy that is constant and reliable Maximus let it be the philosophy of change.

Just my 2 cents
Louis

Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  7:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sparkle and Emc:

Well I guess you could then say the I Ching is as close to an accurate philosphy as you can get. But I'm sure it's just really semantics. Though I would point out that Emc said "trust" in change which to me means truth.

Does change change? Does now change? How about experience? Just words I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  03:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the book "Seven habits of highly effective people", the author says "One cannot cope with changes in life if they don't have a changeless core deep inside them". I equate that changeless core with inner silence.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  07:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maximus said:
quote:
In the book "Seven habits of highly effective people", the author says "One cannot cope with changes in life if they don't have a changeless core deep inside them". I equate that changeless core with inner silence.
That's cool Maximus, thanks for the insight.

My origional question was prompted by your first post
quote:
Do you know what keeps me going?
Whenever I get all the answers of life, he changes the questions.

It reminded me of a time when my view of the world was changing almost on a daily basis when nothing seems solid or concrete. Every time I "got" something, the following day a new insight would come and it all changed again. Like walking on shifting sand. I found this very tiring and I vividely remember having that insight that the only thing that does'nt change is change itself.

It was one of those magic moments for me in a time of turmoil and chaos.
To me it is like shifting onto a different level.
An analogy is if, instead of swirling around in the eddies of a fast flowing rocky river I am sitting on a rock in the sunshine looking at the swirling currents and choppy waters with my legs dangling in the water.
So I can be the change and also witness it.

Of course this is, as you say, linked to inner silence. When we have sufficient inner silence we develop the witness state which is, in effect, the same thing.

Forgive me for not reading your first post accurately. It did not register with me at the time that your were not necessarly going through this yourself but that you read it as a footnote. So my question to you may have seemed patronising. If this is the case my apologies.

Robert:
Yes its all semantics unless there is insight. In my case, and for others also, this insight was very valuable.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  11:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But "the only thing that doesn't change is change itself" is a kind of mental masturbation. It really has no meaning, because change is not a static thing, only the concept is. It is a word that describes an undisclosed process that doesn't stand still. The statement that it doesn't change is false. By definition it changes. Only the definition stays the same. But the definition of hundreds of basic words pretty much stays the same, so it doesn't mean anything. It's more accurate to say "everything is always changing, but words try to pretend otherwise".

Here's something that doesn't change: who we are; a point of perception.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  1:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
But "the only thing that doesn't change is change itself" is a kind of mental masturbation.
Thanks for that Ether

Personally it was a powerful insight for me which helped me greatly through all sorts of dilemmas. For many others I have spoken to it is the same.
For you it is mental masterbation, and would agree if taken as a literal mental proposition. As I pointed out above it came as in insight, which gave it a different perspective for me.

Ah well, one persons food is anothers poison
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  11:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh sorry, didn't mean disrespect.
"Everything always changes" is a good insight. I was arguing semantics.
--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.... Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. "
Helen Keller, The Open Door (1957)
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  03:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's ok Ether

quote:
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.... Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.

I like that - and I suppose thers's nothing wrong with a bit of masterbation too
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000