Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 The grasshopper
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  3:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear all,

I am somewhat of a grasshopper when it comes to spiritual practices.

If I was a digger, I'd have a thousand half-foot holes dug.

I made a promise to myself at the beginning of this month I would dedicate this month solely to AYP practices. I've managed this, however I did imbibe alcohol and cannabis a couple of times, which I feel has set back progress a lot. Nevertheless, a few doubts regarding this practice have cropped up.

Before I started AYP practices, I used Holosync technology to induce states of deep meditation, and stimulate the brain and nervous system to higher degrees of entropic capacity. What I found really comforting about this approach was how whether or not I could focus, the holosync was creating the brainwave patterns and going through the motions for me.

i.e., if I had an off day and could not focus at all, that was FINE.

Within AYP, I hear that if the mantra is not being favoured and taking us to inner silence, it is not nearly efficient as having it in the background. Well, its been a few days within any inner silence, and I notice I am feeling pretty negative overall. This is with 5 minutes pranayama, 10-15 minutes meditation, twice a day.

I think I need perhaps some reassurance and encouragement to stick with it, all sober, for another month. Help me feel like I would not be better off sticking that CD on?

I don't like being the grasshopper, but there are so many different patches of grass to start digging, all with different colours and flavours and balance of soil elements.

I have some experience in shamatha, vipassana, metta chanting, holosync, zazen, just sitting.. it gets SO confusing.

And I know this is all just thought and confusion, it is not at the level of direct personal experience of the divine.

One thing I really like about the AYP approach is the idea of combining emptiness/silence with euphoria. This is something that was sorely missing from a lot of the Buddhist meditation I practiced, which led me to be aware of suffering and no happier for it.

One thing I really like about the Holosync approach is that it WILL carry your threshold for stress higher and higher, meaning life becomes less overwhelming, so we act out of disfunctional behaviour less and less. It was difficult in that it would bring a lot of unconscious material up to be processed due to the very deep brainwave states created. Painful stuff, but essential stuff.

Has anybody had any success combining one AYP meditation session per day with a session of something else alongside?

I feel my grasshopper legs kicking up.

If there is something really valuable here in the AYP lessons, as I suspect there to be occasionally during the peak experiences the practice bought at first, I really need some encouragement and testimonies this WILL work!

I am a beggar at the door of love, and I don't know which key fits.

Be well,

Jack

rthewitt3

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  8:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack -

Perhaps you should stick with Holosync for a while.

I did Holosync for 2.5 years before I discovered AYP. Holosync is easier than AYP, and the changes it causes may help you decide to switch to AYP at some point. Or not. I think Holosync gave me a good base to make effective use of AYP.

Bottom line, though, is that you have to WANT it. That Bhakti thing. Holosync got me to WANT it, and I am moving forward now with AYP. Is AYP as effective as Holosync? Don't know. I think more so. It is a heck of a lot cheaper, too.

Bob in Cincinnati
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000