AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 New and have a question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  7:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
First of all I would like to say that I have never before seen such a well constructed and free website. I look forward to reading through all of the lessons and browsing through the forum posts and putting into practice what I have learned. I have one question, however, and that is: has Yogani required sufficient meditation "skills" to enter at will into Samadhi?

Thanks for any replies

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  01:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Mattimo!,
Glad to read that you are enjoying the lessons and forum.

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  05:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mattima
Welcome to the forum.
I am sure Yogani can answer this question better than anyone else. Anyone else could really only speculate from his writings. Samadhi is one of those words that mean different things to different people. This isn't surprising, as in the Yogic texts, many different kinds of Samadhi are described. Of course here, with regard to your question, what matters is what you mean by Samadhi. So if you want to describe for us what your understanding is, then we (and probably Yogani too) would be in a better position to answer.
Thanks,
Christi
Go to Top of Page

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  08:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My definition of Samadhi would be the process by which the breath is suspended for a duration of time and the consciousness of the individual is merged with all. I only ask if Yogani has achieved this because according to some books I have read, this is the measure of a true master (whatever that might be or whatever truth that holds). I was simply curious.
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  08:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mattimo:

Welcome to the forum.

I think you'll find the more one gets to know about AYP the more one realizes that it's less about Yogani and more about the work. That is to say, building a long term daily practice. Keep reading the lessons and I'm sure you'll find all the answers you're looking for.

No disrespect intented, but with questions such as yours I can see clearer now why Yogani chooses to remain anonymous.

Best regards:

Guy

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  09:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mattimo, and welcome!

Samadhi means absorption in silent Self, or pure bliss consciousness. Deep meditation leads directly to this, and the many other methods we employ add a substantial boost, including the judicious voluntary use of kumbhaka (breath suspension) in certain techniques.

Automatic breath suspension may also occur naturally in samadhi. Anyone who has practiced daily deep meditation for a while can attest to this. But stopping the breath is not the object. Cultivating inner silence is. If we have abiding inner silence, do we really care whether we are breathing or not? It can be a distraction in deep meditation, so we just easily favor the mantra over all that.

An even better condition than samadhi with no breath is samadhi while breathing and being active in the world. Then we are bringing stillness into the world in everything we do. Better not to keep our light under a bushel, or in suspended animation. Divine stillness likes to move, breathing sweetly out on everyone.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  09:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mattimo,
It's possible that you may be trying to judge if Yogani is the best teacher for you based upon criterion set up by gurus on other paths. What Yogani has set up as "AYP", is a whole new system of transmitting information, and he prefers not to be called a guru. The "Old School" system was to almost worship a guru, and whatever he says is written in stone. While we have specific rules against bashing any other system, we choose to do things differently, and feel that we get better results because of it.
What we are finding with this new system, is that what is really important is the techniques we practice, and the effects those have on ourselves.
With this system, feedback is allowed, and most of it is between students, in this forum.
With the old system, some gurus may give their followers some cryptic answer they don't understand, and they're supposed to shut up and have faith. Here, we discuss answers until we understand each other. Some of the concepts are difficult enough to understand by themselves.
So a lot of information is transmitted between people, without Yogani intervening. We are all on the same path, and other people have probably been where you are, and there are ways to tell if you are getting somewhere or not, rather than depending on "faith in the master". By the way, you can still have a guru and practice AYP techniques. Many people here belong to various religions also.
In case you didn't understand why yogani didn't specifically answer your question: what he is implying is, what is important is what YOU can do, not what HE can do, and there is something beyond samadhi in meditation.

Edited by - Etherfish on Feb 24 2007 10:04:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mattimo

25 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  9:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My primary motivation for asking the question was not to judge Yogani, but to judge the efficacy of the lessons presented. Indeed I was attempting to judge them by measure of what I had read with regards to Samadhi. Ultimately, however, I am well aware that solely judging by what I have read is narrow-minded and inherently flawed and in the end it doesn't matter. Yes, what matters is what I get out of the lessons and practice and add to my cognition of reality.

Ignore my initial question and forgive me if it sounded juvenile. I already believe I know the answer anyhow.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  11:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mattimo:

The lessons are already working. Your truth and insights are their own reward. Welcome to AYP.

Warmest regards:

Guy

PS: like Ether said: it's not important what He can do, it's only important what you can do. A sincere Yo for you on your path. We all have lots of questions which is ok, but the real important stuff is to maintain your twice daily practice. tosabe?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000