Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Head falling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  4:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
all going well with my spinal breathing and deep meditation, I practice now twice a day and don't have headaches anymore. only sometimes during meditation, my head starts falling down. It's kindof annoying, one time the other day I had muscle pain in my neck. I believe it could have to do with my head falling down during meditation and hurting/overstretching the muscles in the back of my neck. Does anyone have experience with this? I try to keep my head alligned as well as possible, but sometimes I cannot prevent the falling (guess I'm drifting of to sleep or really deep relaxation).

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  05:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm facing similar problem too. I dont' fall asleep but my neck twitches in weird dirctions, mostly towards up and right. It causes pain and it is difficult to ignore the pain. So I consciously move the neck straight and it distracts mediation.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  09:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Zelebe
This has happened me if I meditate whilst sitting in a nice comfey armchair with my spine tilted back into the chair.
Don't remember it happening if I sit upright on a hard chair or on a meditation stool.
Does that ring any bells?

Maximus, I havn't had that happen ot me but I guess it is a good sign that the energy is moving in you.
If you are getting pain I would suggest you may be a little tense in the neck and shoulder muscles. A massage or something similar to ease the muscles might help, it would also probably free the energy movement in that area.

Louis
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  09:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zelebe

Does anyone have experience with this?

I've noticed that there is a head righting reflex. To get in touch with it, I sit with my back straight, let my head relax forward, and wait. Eventually, there is an automatic tendency for the head to come up, that is, if I'm not falling asleep. Getting in touch with the head righting reflex has helped me with my head alignment.

Best wishes,

B.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  10:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The head snapping back into a straight line with the spine has happened to me many times. I have no idea what it means.
Go to Top of Page

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  11:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

Hi Zelebe
This has happened me if I meditate whilst sitting in a nice comfey armchair with my spine tilted back into the chair.
Don't remember it happening if I sit upright on a hard chair or on a meditation stool.
Does that ring any bells?

Louis

Hi Louis, I meditate on the bed with a pillow behind me for back support, and I'm indeed very comfortable and tilted backwards. Nothing wrong with the comfort, but I'll have a look to sit in a better way, thanks for your reply!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  12:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Zelebe,
The head falling is a sign that you may be falling asleep... but, as you may already know.. that is a good thing... Lesson 17
If this is causing you pain.. one thing you could try would be to sit with some kind of neck support and tilt your head slightly backwards so that it is against the wall. This is a purification phase, and will go away and you wont need the neck support later.. but in the mean time, it maybe wise to be as comfortable as you can be and not hurt yourself.
It could also be a form of automatic yoga.. not sure

Hi Bewell and Gumpi,
The neck straightening sounds like automatic yoga.
Lesson 218 - Q&A – Meditation sensitivity and head movements
Lesson 210 - Q&A – Handling automatic yoga and siddhis

Edited by - Shanti on Feb 09 2007 12:39:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  2:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,
The head falling forward is normally a sign of blocked throat or/and third eye.When I say blocked I mean as the clearing process for that chakra is not complete.It is also a sign of automatic yoga/kriya. I believe chin pump is done with the chin down to the chest and if one places the chin to the chest it opens up the nadis to allow the energy to travel with less restriction.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  5:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by riptiz

Hi All,
The head falling forward is normally a sign of blocked throat or/and third eye.When I say blocked I mean as the clearing process for that chakra is not complete.It is also a sign of automatic yoga/kriya. I believe chin pump is done with the chin down to the chest and if one places the chin to the chest it opens up the nadis to allow the energy to travel with less restriction.
L&L
Dave

Hmm Dave, another clue that might make sense; my throat doesn't feel ok always after I eat. I get the feeling of pressure in the area of the thyroid gland, you know in the area under the adams appel. It's not something I worry about but something that I notice (lately).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000