Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Questions on AYP...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  9:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have a few questions on the AYP practices...
1- Yoni mudra, I am confused about where the index finger goes on your eyes. I can nave get comfortable with it. The outer corner of the eyes is the side away from the tear ducts right? How do you push it up and not hurt your eye balls? The lesson says...
quote:
placing the tips of our two index fingers close to the outer corners of our closed eyes against the lower lids. Then we gently push the eyes up and to the center in the direction of the point between the eyebrows.

Also, if I do the chin lock my eyes don't want to stay in sambhavi.. does this happen to anyone else..

2-Shoulder stand .. I could never do it before.. I was always scared my legs would fall back all the way and I would suffocate(childhood trauma thing..). Anyway, I now keep a chair above my head to hold my legs if they fall.. they have never fallen.. but then tell my mind that... Any way, the question is... I love doing it now.. what are the advantages of it(with respect to AYP).. how long is good?

3-Samyama-How do you pick up the feelings of the words.. I can do LOVE, akasha-lightness of air, radiance is still OK, but how do you feel health, strength, wisdome, abundance?

4-Jalandhar.. the head just falls or do you swoop it up.. I mean you control the downward fall or you just let it fall?

5-(whisper this one) "I see people... dead people.." (now don't whisper any more..) during my meditation.. at least I think I see other beings.. or maybe they are visions of my previous life times.. don't know.. But they are very disturbing scenes.. anybody else has this problem?

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 08 2007 01:37:34 AM

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  11:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Shanti,

I will just try to address your point #5. I also have things coming up now during meditation that didn't before, some undesirable. They are all symptoms of purification. It happens because we dig deeper and deeper within our subconscious, and we become more and more aware of all areas of our being, and there are things down there that we didn't know about before. But it is a good thing, because as these things come up they can also be done with. The key to be done with them is to just go back to the mantra, without becoming involved with them, and over time they will pass. If they come up during daily life I see it as a cue to become aware of all the peace and stillness everywhere, and then they disappear again.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  12:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Re samyama

Shanti, don't feel the words, and definitely don't think about their meaning. Just follow the simple instructions: intone the word once mentally and let it fade to silence. I'd suggest you resist your inclination to complicate and involve your mind in the process. Less thinking, less doing, more just sitting down and doing practices with the mindset you adopt while brushing your teeth. I'm not trying to upset you again with the impossible direction of "stop thinking". But there's a difference between "stop thinking" and indulging your inclination to complicate. At least PRETEND not to complicate. At least don't make an effort 24/7 to inject your mind into every nook and cranny with dogged persistence. If you can put a chink into that tendency, it'd help a lot. And if it feels great to stop that exhausting non-stop mental rigamarole even the least little bit (as, last week, you reported it did), you may want to chuck more and more of it into the waste bin. The mind is a great and useful servant, but a tyrannical and pointless master.

Melissa, too. Your suggestion is 100% conceptual. Do samyama outside of concept. Do AYP outside of concept. Resist the urge to put a mental frame around things. Everything else we do in life requires strategizing and striving. This is outside that. Let the practices do you, don't do the practices. Don't confuse the strategizing of self pacing, choosing practices to do and when to do them, etc etc, with the notion that strategizing while doing the practices themselves is a good idea.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Mar 25 2006 12:18:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  12:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

don't feel the words, and definitely don't think about their meaning. Just follow the simple instructions: intone the word once mentally...

In Lesson 150 Yogani does associate a feeling or meaning to the sutra:

In your easy silence, pick up, just once, the fuzziest feeling of the word "Love" in your own language... Just have a faint remembrance of Love... It is a subtle feeling of Love we are coming to, nothing more, and letting it go. Like that. Having thought "Love" once, be in silence for about fifteen seconds... Then pick up the faint, fuzzy meaning of "Love" again...

And in this forum thread Yogani says:

"When we pick up a sutra in samayama the meaning is implicit in the faint feeling of the sound of it deep in the mind..."
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  4:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The thing is, that's just the way it happens. I can't help it. If I could help it, I figure the "tickling/teasing" sensation would stop too. *For me*, it's not strategy or working to conceptualize it. Hmmmm. Now I'm worried that I might be doing things wrong.

In that case my advice will hurt more than it will help. I'm not to urge you to create a mental concept about escaping a mental concept! Sorry. Skip what I said; sometimes it's hard to see through the words (I have better luck sometimes than others).

But I think I"m right about Shanti....
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  4:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So Jim,
OK, tell me if what I am doing is correct..
I pick the word and at the same time let my entire body fill with energy.. then I drop it all for silence.. then the same thing again. So no matter which word I am doing(except lightness), I feel exactly the same energy fill me.. and then drop for silence. Am I doing this right then? I don't think of the word and associate it with the feeling.. I thought this is what I was doing wrong.. so maybe I am not doing it wrong then????

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 25 2006 4:28:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  5:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,

We pick up each sutra very faintly and for very less duration and then go into silence. The fainter the better. At the end of the meditation (when doing samyama) we will be in 'inner silence'. We dont want to disturb that silence hence we feel the sutra very faintly. (Faint in the sense just the way I AM becomes subtler as we go deep in meditation.) It is this silence that does the work for us so we dont think any meanings of sutras so that thoughts dont disturb this silence.

Let me explain what "feeling" the sutra means. let us take the word love. Think of it. What does it bring to your mind first. Your husband, Your kid or some pleasant feeling in heart. We just feel that for the sutra love. And immedeatly go into silence.

-Near
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  11:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

I pick the word and at the same time let my entire body fill with energy

no matter which word I am doing(except lightness), I feel exactly the same energy fill me..

Those are both expectations. Drop all expectations.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  01:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000