Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Rephrased transgender question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sylvik

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  01:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit sylvik's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I wanted to repost my earlier question a little differently. The discussion was excellent and I really appreciated everyone's answers. However, most of the answers posted were focussed on the general issue of bi-sexuality or masculinity and femininity crossing the physical boundary.

What I really was wondering about was the issue of having a physical sense of being the other gender, whether occasionally or throughout one's life. I understand that there is a kind of "phantom limb" syndrome, so to speak, that some people have about having the genitals of the "opposite" sex, and this is what I am really wondering about.

Is it cultural? Does it exist in traditional Tantric/Asian cultures? I was thinking that, in our culture (traditionally), we are kind of only presented with two binary options: male or female, and the extreme images in the media really play that up. So for example many men who feel feminine sexual energy may only be able to envision it in terms of having female genitals and being a woman (and of course, until recently in our society, the clitoris didn't even exist, so a woman may have only been able to frame her masculine sexual energy as a physical penis...) (I know that there are plenty of Gays & Lesbians who don't have these particular feelings either).

Does anyone know how this phenomenon may be framed in other, especially Tantra-conscious cultures? That was my real question, and I'd love to hear any info that anyone has and thank you all for your incredible input so far.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000