Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Does meditation and yoga makes u more selfless?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jojo

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  05:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jojo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is it true that people become more selfless with daily meditation? Did this happen to anyone? Is there any situation where you thought more about the other person/partner and sacrificed for them? Just share your experiences with me..

-jojo

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  09:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jojo and welcome to the forum!

I have found that meditation tends to remove focus on oneself as a specific person, together with specific properties that are associated with that person, like patterns of habit, feelings, thoughts, opinions, concepts etc. Less sense of separation from the surroundings and others will include these more in the sense of self, and self-interest will include others more. This can be seen as increased selflessness, or as expanded self-interest. It's not perceived as sacrifice or giving up of oneself for the sake of others, it's more like the interests of others become more of one's own interests as well.

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  4:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
...or as expanded self-interest. It's not perceived as sacrifice or giving up of oneself for the sake of others, it's more like the interests of others become more of one's own interests as well.

This got real to me recently, after I had read a metaphore by Miguel Ruiz. Imagine an inner organ of your body. All cells in it are separate units, still, they comprise that organ, and the organs together comprise "The Body". Humans on earth are like cells. We are all separate units, but together we comprise the "human organ" and as such we are an important organ beside others comprising "The Earth".

So if one cell in the liver is feeling bad, it may cause damage to cells nearby and poison may spread, hurting the organ and eventually the body. In the same way - if another human being is feeling bad for some reason I feel an urge to help that person in any way I am able to. It is myself I am helping. It became so obvious for me after grasping that metaphore.

"Whatever you do unto the least of these, you do unto me."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000