Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Weather influence
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leo

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  03:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,
I don't know if this subject has been already talked about, I've been searching the forum without success, but I'm not sure.
Anyway my question is the following.
I read on an article about acupunture that you should avoid treatment when the weather conditions are not good , this because the energy flow, in that situation , is "altered" and you could get unexpected side effects.
I was wondering,since as far as I know acupunture is based on the same principles of yoga (that is , fundamentallly balancing energy),
if it is the same for meditation.
Should I avoid meditation when the weather conditions are extreme (for instance, windy, rainy, or continuously changing ) ?
I always have difficulties when meditating, sometimes I sit there for half an hour , only to realize that I have been meditating for just a few second. But when the weather is cloudy, or rainy, meditation becomes really impossible, and when I try I have the feeling of doing something bad, I feel uneasy, like I'm going to get mad.
Does anyone of you ever experience this ?
Thank you

Vicki

Ireland
20 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  06:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vicki's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been told before that practise should be avoided in a thunderstorm.....
Go to Top of Page

Leo

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  02:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Did you ever experience yourself ?
I mean, did you try to meditate while a thunderstorm was on, and then
realize some negative side effect ?
Even this morning, for instance, which is a very windy one, I found it
a bit difficult to do spinal breathing, and simply couldn't get my mind
doing meditation....
I generally have concentration problems while the weather is not good,
but I thought meditation would help fixing this problem.
But, how can you fix the problem if you can't use the tools ?
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  08:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Leo
Welcome to the forum.
My view would be that some weather can have an influence on how we feel. A dark gloomy day will have a different effect than a bright sunny one. A low pressure system will have a different effect than a high pressure system. Influences of the moon, which also affects weather can also be included, after all the moon is the governor of the menstrual cycles in women and also the tides - and a lot more besides.
So all these things and a lot more, affect us in one way or another.

For meditation there may be times when it is easier or more difficult to meditate, based on the surrounding influences and also based on our own inner conflicts.
In the end we just do our daily practice and if one becomes aware of a distraction, such as wind and rain, acknowledge it as such - just a distraction - and go back to the mantra.

For obvious reasons it is probably not a good idea to meditate in the middle of a field during a thunderstorm, as one might get more energy than one bargined for, and you might meet God earlier than expected .
Otherwise, everything is Grist for the Mill, and part of the purification process.

my 2 cents
Louis

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  09:12:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Leo

I generally have concentration problems while the weather is not good,
but I thought meditation would help fixing this problem.
But, how can you fix the problem if you can't use the tools ?

Hi Leo,
Welcome to the forum.
Do you follow the AYP deep meditation ? If yes, I would suggest you treat this as a distraction (like Louis has said above), like external noise or internal experiences. No two meditations are ever alike, you will have days when you go in deep, some days on the surface, some days it will feel peaceful, some days full of thoughts.. they are finally all good meditations. So the best thing to do would be, when you find your mind has drifted off the mantra, just gently bring it back to the mantra. Different people are sensitive to different things, and you may have some extra sensitivity to the weather.. and the uneasiness you feel, may actually be some kind of purification... if that is the case, just continuing the best you can through these storms may actually do you good.. and you may overcome this distraction too.
Wish you all the best in your chosen path.

PS: Go through some of the Meditation Q&A beginning here, they may help.. and if you don't already have it, get Yogani's Deep Meditation Book

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 25 2007 09:22:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Leo

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  09:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody for your kind answers.
As I understand it, seems like my mistake is caring more about the
outcome of the meditation than of the meditation itself .
Yes, sometimes it's really frustrating to try to relax a bit and
realize you just can't, and you don't know why : sometimes getting
your mind to rest is like trying to chase a swarm of bees from your
room.It happens to me more often (at least as far as I know and can
understand speaking to others) than to other people, and my guess is
that weather has its role in it.
Anyway probably that's the problem : western people like us, give more
importance to the result, when sometimes the most important thing is
the path itself, that takes us to the result. This is a thought that
comes to me sometimes, but more often I forget about it :)), and fall
back in my old western-style way of thinking.
From now on , I'll try to take it easy .
Thank you

Leo
Go to Top of Page

blujett8

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  4:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi leo

everything you're saying seems normal and I imagine many of us can relate....

I forget who started it, but it's been mentioned that it's helpful to think about your meditation practice like brushing your teeth....
~Heather
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  4:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with the answers above.

FWIW, I have great meditations (and feel great in general) during storms, particularly thunderstorms. I suppose that is a very individual thing. I wonder if it connects to 'Vata' constitution? -- or maybe being a werewolf or something? In any case, I am what AYAM.

Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  06:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

Agreed with the answers above.

FWIW, I have great meditations (and feel great in general) during storms, particularly thunderstorms. I suppose that is a very individual thing. I wonder if it connects to 'Vata' constitution? -- or maybe being a werewolf or something? In any case, I am what AYAM.

Same with me here, I feel great during thunderstorms.
I am always faszinated by flash of lightnings.
Don't know about the werewolf thing, though my name might indicate it
Go to Top of Page

yoginstar

Netherlands
78 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  5:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit yoginstar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Leo,
it seems to me you should first study with a proper school of meditation, then afterwards you can always take the self pacing lessons of Yogani. These are very advanced lessons you know.
All the best to you.
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  10:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoginstar and Leo,

Just to clarify, that the AYP Lessons on Deep Meditation are very much intended and suitable for complete beginners (and advanced practitioners alike). As Shanti wrote above, here is the link again to the introductory lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

Edited by - weaver on Jan 28 2007 10:35:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Leo

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  03:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As I understand it , we are traversed by subtle energy channels (one of them and probably most important too, is the
"spinal nerve" which we learn to activate with Pranayama)....this is true not only for us humans but for other beings too
and for anything else that exists, be it "animated" or not .... I read some article about a scientist in the late 1800s
whose hypothesis was that thundestorms, tornadoes, and every natural critical condition was generated by some form of
"change" in the subtle energy channels which permeate the atmosphere, the outer space and so on. The energy channels
that go through our bodies are not confined to it, they come from outside so to speak, and they are influenced and influence
our consciousness. That's probably why changes in the atmospheric equilibrium cause a change in consciousness. That's because everything that exists is linked with everything else ... I know I'm putting things in a complicated pattern but that's what I do to make them as clear as I can. This means that you are changed by the environment, but you can change it too (that's an old story anyway). The more your mind is busy, confused ,filled with trash , the bigger the obstacle for the
subtle energy to pass through your body and mind. Tension, fear, worry, excitement, are conditions of hyperactivity of the mind which generally interfere with the "flow of subtle energy" through your channels, and stop you from perceiving other realities ...it should be much like a radio receiver , if you put it near a strong electromagnetic field it becomes very
difficult to receive the usual stations .... If what I am saying is true , there should be no way to stop negative energy
from entering your subtle channels....if you're exposed to persistent negative energy, you have no way to avoid the bad
consequences, unless you learn to shield yourself from it, that is stop energy from traversing your channels.
But this would mean stop all energy, that is , probably die in a short time.
I experienced on myself that meditation, at least for now, doesn't help to keep away the bad energy that I feel during
critical atmospheric conditions. If my reasoning is correct, that's the reason why, so I wonder if there will be, in
advanced practice, a method to learn to keep negative energy away, while allowing positive energy to enter.
Any idea ?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000