AYP Helpers
 Public Relations Assistance Needed -- Print Media
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  12:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All:

The post below has been copied from the Wikipedia topic to highlight the need for assistance in setting up AYP print media interviews. All help is appreciated!
-----------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Why is it being considered for deletion? Is it because of lack of citations from relevent third party sources?
Are there articles about yogani or AYP? maybe the radio interviews would help?

Hi Ether:

Yes, third party interviews and reports is the primary shortcoming we have with Wikipedia, particularly in magazines and newspapers. There is currently nothing suitable out there in the print media in the way of independent articles on AYP.

The radio interviews will help, but what we really need is independent articles in print that can be referenced.

If anyone here has a background in public relations, especially in setting up interviews for print publications, then we could sure use your help. I am willing if willing interviewers can be found.

The guru is in you.

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  4:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi All:

The post below has been copied from the Wikipedia topic to highlight the need for assistance in setting up AYP print media interviews. All help is appreciated!
-----------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Why is it being considered for deletion? Is it because of lack of citations from relevent third party sources?
Are there articles about yogani or AYP? maybe the radio interviews would help?

Hi Ether:

Yes, third party interviews and reports is the primary shortcoming we have with Wikipedia, particularly in magazines and newspapers. There is currently nothing suitable out there in the print media in the way of independent articles on AYP.

The radio interviews will help, but what we really need is independent articles in print that can be referenced.

If anyone here has a background in public relations, especially in setting up interviews for print publications, then we could sure use your help. I am willing if willing interviewers can be found.

The guru is in you.

Hi Yogani,

I may be able to be of at least some help - while my direct background is not in PR, it is closely connected - and I have had direct involvement in a lot of PR-related activities (finding the best agency for a start-up, participating in whirlwind press tour as an interviewee, for a high-tech start-up, several years ago; one of my former partners, of seven years, managed PR for one of the world's largest corporations - so I picked up a lot by "osmosis", as well. ;-)). So, I at least "know the territory", somewhat.

Initially, I'd recommend doing some (I think) fairly logical grass-roots types of things.

First might be to create a bio / interview request page on the site (I can help with verbiage, etc. - though it will be fastest to have whoever helps with publishing pages to the site do the actual page creation.)

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.optimalthinking.com/PressRoom.html

I just entered the words print media and interviews into Google, and that page was one of the top results (so if we make sure page content contains the right keywords, we could see the same for AYP - after giving Google's spiders (Web indexing software) a little time to find / list it (anywhere from a few days to a few weeks).

This seems like a relatively simple step which would allow potential interview opportunities to come to us.

The second thing would be to create a grass-roots campaign of targeted, outbound email, to LOHAS (see www.lohas.com , if this term is not familiar - it's the market demographic for yoga type folks) publications.

We could draft a general email (I'll be happy to take a shot at the verbiage), and send it around to the various editors of publications ranging from Yoga Journal and Fit Yoga, to regional "consciousness" pubs such as Common Ground, and regional yoga pubs (Los Angeles has a fairly good-sized one called either Yoga LA or LA Yoga).

As with any market, it's usually easier to get interviews with smaller publications, which you can use to leverage interviews with larger publications (i.e. if you can cite / show interviews with, say, Common Ground, East-West and LA Yoga - Yoga Journal may well be easier to get, than without them ---- though personally, I think the radio interviews count for a lot, and may be solid ammunition to help "score" print interviews.)

I'm out the door for a hectic afternoon and evening -- but wanted to toss this out in the meantime, for everyone to "chew on" (as in: there's no monopoly on good ideas - and regardless of which category these fall into, I thought tossing them out publicly might help facilitate some good thinking / dialog on everyone's part. : ) ).

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  4:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman,

I don't know much about PR, but the ideas you have laid out are fantastic! I really think the email campaign aimed at Yoga related publications would be a great starting place.

Please let me know if you need any help or input on anything.

Namaste,
Brett
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  5:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman:

Great suggestions, and I'm interested in all, as long as we can do it tastefully in relation to the AYP website and writings. Do not want to appear to be blatently self-promoting. Frankly, it as about making AYP more visible, not me, and that is why I am willing to do the PR stuff, within reasonable limits.

So, we want to be available, but not throwing ourselves at the media in "red light district" fashion. It is a fine line to walk. Within that framework, I think we can do everything you have suggested, and more.

At this time I'd like to limit interviews to telephone or online text only. Also, there is little to no funding available here for this. The implementation of the worldwide AYP awareness strategy continues on a shoestring.

Contact me with specifics whenever you can. Perhaps you and Brett can work together to come up with something suitable for the AYP website, and for the appropriate direct channels to the print media.

Anyone else please feel free to chime in on this. Anybody from a national magazine or newspaper reading here?

Many thanks!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000