Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 surrender vs. control
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

interpaul

USA
540 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2023 :  9:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was thinking about the potential conflict generated by the practice of bramacharya as it focuses ones attention on restraint/preservation of one's sexual energy. Fundamental to that process it seems is control. Surrender, which seems to be the ultimate focus of much of this work, fells a bit at odds with control. Curious how you reconcile practices like this in your journey.

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2023 :  07:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Interpaul,

Yoga is always a balance of control and surrender. We need to have enough control of our actions to be able to bring ourselves to the mat every day, and do our practices. But we also need to learn how to surrender our personal desires, attachments and forms of identification.

It is the same with brahmacharya. We have to have enough control not to frequently lose sexual fluids, or sexual energy, but there is also a strong element of surrender to the Divine, as the inner energies move up through the body, into the higher centres.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
540 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2023 :  04:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, Thank you for sharing your perspective. I realize I have a tendency towards exploring extreme viewpoints to glean insights. Although this strategy can be helpful in some situations I am learning to appreciate the middle way.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2023 :  04:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Intention and attention and the willpower behind them is absolutely necessary to move practices along, and then surrender and “just being” dissolves them, once inner states are reached.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
540 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2023 :  9:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy, Thanks for weighing in on this subject. I am always searching for the most pure and simple path forward. I recall seeing the movie "Yes man" years ago, staring Jim Carrey. I loved the premise suggesting saying "YES" to life yields many rewards. The movie does ultimately develop the more nuanced message of not having extreme views as the world is not so simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000