Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The Enteric Nervous System - We have two brains
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  6:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
quote:

Complex and Hidden Brain in Gut Makes Bellyaches and Butterflies

The gut's brain, known as the enteric nervous system, is located in sheaths of tissue lining the oesophagus, stomach, small intestine and colon. Considered a single entity, it is a network of neurons, neurotransmitters and proteins that zap messages between neurons, support cells like those found in the brain proper and a complex circuitry that enables it to act independently, learn, remember and, as the saying goes, produce gut feelings.

The brain in the gut plays a major role in human happiness and misery. But few people know it exists, said Dr. Michael Gershon, a professor of anatomy and cell biology at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New-York. For years, people who had ulcers, problems swallowing or chronic abdominal pain were told that their problems were imaginary, emotional, simply all in their heads. Dr. Gershon said. They were shuttled to psychiatrists for treatment.

Doctors were right in ascribing these problems to the brain. Dr. Gershon said, but they blamed the wrong one. Many gastro-intestmal disorders like colids and irritable bowel syndrome originate from problems within the gut's brain, he said. And the current wisdom is that most ulcers are caused by a bacterium, not by hidden anger at one's mother.

-------------------------------------

In evolutionary terms, it makes sense that the body has two brains, said Dr. David Wingate, a professor of gastrointestinal science at the University of London and a consultant at tlie Royal London Hospital. The first nervous systems were intubular animals that stuck to rocks and waited for food to pass by. Dr. Wingate said. The limbic system is often referred to as the "reptile brain".

As life evolved, animals needed a more complex brain for finding food and sex and so developed a central nervous system. But the gut's nervous system was too important to put inside the newborn head with long connections going down to the body. Dr. Wingate said. O-ffsprmg need to eat and digest food at birth. Therefore, nature seems to have preserved the enteric nervous system as independant circuit. Inside higher animals, it is only loosely connected to the central nervous system and can mostly function alone, without insructions from topside.

http://www.aikidoaus.com.au/dojo/do...d_braina.htm

I found this fascinating and wonder how this relates to the coccygeal body [Kundalini Gland], which is located in the anus - where the sympathetic nervous system and the parasympathetic nervous systems meet and wonder if all that "heart" related bliss has more to do with endorphins or other chemicals secreted from the second [animal] brain, which resides in the stomach. You know, when you have heartburn you think it's your heart, but it's really the stomach.

"Food for the stomach and the stomach for food"--but God will destroy them both. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! 16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body?" 1 Corinthians 6:13-16

[Had to throw that in there for you Doc: ]:

quote:
There are several reasons why the enteric nervous system may be regarded as a second brain. The enteric nervous system can operate autonomously. It normally communicates with the CNS through the parasympathetic (eg, via the vagus nerve) and sympathetic (eg, via the prevertebral ganglia) nervous systems. However, vertebrate studies show that when the vagus nerve is severed, the enteric nervous system continues to function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enteri...rvous_system

Anyone?

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Jan 11 2007 9:50:28 PM

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  7:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

"Back Atcha" --

http://www.heartmath.org/research/o...t-brain.html

I find things like this fascinating for quite a few reasons, two of the main ones being:

*Understanding how physical-plane systems (i.e. our physical bodies and supporting systems) truly operate can enable us to live better, in terms of those systems (i.e. better physical health, etc.)

*The continuing demonstration that "new" Western science is nothing but really, really old yogic science .... will help the mainstream scientific communities to eventually say, "Hey - maybe there is something to this yoga stuff, after all!"

As many AYPers have experienced, our entire "internal landscape" evolves (i.e. we feel different, everything seems different, our entire awareness is different) when we tap into the power of a given chakra (when the given chakra "opens", is the colloquial way to say this).

The fact that there are actually "mini-brains" in key organs, which "map" to major chakras which in turn "map" to specific parts of our endocrine system, and specific nerve plexuses (plexi?) -- may help us to understand why and how this (the perceived change of internal landscape / experience, as we move through yogic evolution) is so, from the standpoint of biological science.

Western science "gets the nod" for being able to get much more specific (in terms of defining and analyzing component parts of physical "reality") than yogic science was able to do, thousands of years ago ... but literally "separating out" everything can hit a point of diminishing returns, too -- in terms of sometimes making it hard to see the reality and pragmatic value inherent in unity -- which yoga has always done an excellent job of, as far as I know (and have experienced).

Meaning: Western / modern science may be "technically" superior to yoga, in terms of its ability to get amazingly specific, and to define and (somewhat) understand the mechanics of sub-cellular biophysics from chemical and biological standpoints (yogic science still wins on "energetic standpoint", I'd say), etc. - but in terms of understanding how the various aspects of (for instance) the gut and heart relate to quality of human life - especially the most important aspect of all (evolving into our natural birthright of enlightenment) --- yoga seems to be sitting on the far side of the finish line, yawning - and saying, "Hey, is that Modern Science back there, finally making it over the second hill?"

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

PS - Thanks, VIL -- great topic! For more "tasty tidbits" along the same lines, please check out:

http://brucelipton.com/

&

http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  9:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I loved the article on the heart. It was amazing, truly. The other sites, I'm going to have to sit down and contemplate, because of all of the great, deep, information.

quote:
Kirtman: As many AYPers have experienced, our entire "internal landscape" evolves (i.e. we feel different, everything seems different, our entire awareness is different) when we tap into the power of a given chakra (when the given chakra "opens", is the colloquial way to say this).

The fact that there are actually "mini-brains" in key organs, which "map" to major chakras which in turn "map" to specific parts of our endocrine system, and specific nerve plexuses (plexi?) -- may help us to understand why and how this (the perceived change of internal landscape / experience, as we move through yogic evolution) is so, from the standpoint of biological science.

Western science "gets the nod" for being able to get much more specific (in terms of defining and analyzing component parts of physical "reality") than yogic science was able to do, thousands of years ago ... but literally "separating out" everything can hit a point of diminishing returns, too -- in terms of sometimes making it hard to see the reality and pragmatic value inherent in unity -- which yoga has always done an excellent job of, as far as I know (and have experienced).

True, but I look at new discoveries as a way of bridging/validating the already known wisdom of yogic practice/experience with science, which go hand in hand, in my opinion. Another sort of yoking together:

Anyway, I love this stuff. Thanks, Kirtanman!

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Jan 11 2007 9:06:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000