Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Spiritual book and overload
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zaelithe

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2022 :  2:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Greetings all,
A quick question that has me somewhat doubting my sanity. I have received a lot of good advice (which I have taken) on this forum and learned, mostly, how to deal with a sensitivity to practice and to self-pace and ground as needed. I was ticking along nicely on 3-5 sessions a week of 2 mins SBP and 15 mins DM with occasional asanas spread around over the days. Summer life has plenty of physical activity and grounding for me - gardening, working in woodland, sea swimming, daily long walks etc. The only thing I did differently recently was to buy a copy of “Daughter of Fire” by Irina Tweedie (a diary of a spiritual training with a Sufi master). It’s a big book - 800+ pages and I got engrossed recognising some of her experiences with a wry smile. However, within days of starting the book I began to get overload symptoms, insomnia (2-3 hrs sleep a night), headache, eye flashes, ear sounds and shaking/vibration - all stuff I have had before when overloaded. I am mystified as to how this has come about this time. Could it really be from reading a book!? It was of sudden onset and I can relate it to nothing much else. I really feel a bit crazy mentioning this but I have had to stop practicing again at present and want to know if this could be real so I can factor it in in the future.
Blessings, Z.

interpaul

USA
540 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2022 :  6:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Zaelithe, For many people spiritual reading is a form of self inquiry and that is definitely a trigger for overload for many. I know I feel an increase in energy often when I read Yogani's writings. I had posted this experience a couple years ago and several practitioners shared they also feel changes in their energy from simply reading. It seems once our kundalini energies have been activated they don't take a lot to keep going, especially for the sensitive folks.
Go to Top of Page

ant

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2022 :  6:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
While I cannot relate to your level of sensitivity, it is mentioned more than once in the AYP writings that spiritual study (reading in this case) can be stimulating, and is part of the branches of yoga. If you are actively avoiding energy stimulation, I would read on less "spiritually intense" topics. Fiction can be a nice escape as well!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2022 :  02:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. Spiritual reading can quickly overload the sensitive yogi. If you must indulge, do so in small increments and double down on grounding strategies.
Go to Top of Page

Zaelithe

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2022 :  08:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My thanks to you all for your answers and for normalising my experience. Dealing with the paradox now of many hours awake with the insomnia but needing to avoid anything spiritual! It’s been a novel a night just lately….
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2022 :  3:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Zaelithe,

I can relate, reading spiritual texts gets me into overload symptoms quickly. For me, quantity makes a difference. On vacation, I tended to read a lot and could observe symptoms afterwards. I shifted to non-spiritual books and spared the spiritual texts for daily reading before bed, just some pages. Generally, I actually try to minimize it.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2022 :  06:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Zaelithe,

There is a practice that can knock you out very fast (hopefully without aggravating your sensitivity) if you want to give it a go. Cosmic Samyama (Yoga Nidra)

Found here:

https://www.aypsite.org/299.html

Even if you don't have core samyama in place - give it a try. And tell us how it goes.

Sey

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000