AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 mantra + om
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  4:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Fascinating... I am in awe.

First, I have many times, not every time, but yet from the very beginning of deep meditation practices on AYAM had OM in the background. I remember I had read about it somewhere in forum, and made a search on "mantra + om". I opened the first thread in the result list and saw that the yellow colour marking the key words were all over the messages, marking both "mantra" "om" and: all the blank spaces between the words...

A wonderful sight! The computer obviously, beautifully and intelligently searched the nothingness...

Second, I am in awe of the AYAM meditation. I just had a wonderful practice tonight. I was guided through several things, which I take as invitations of "now it's time to take next step", following earlier advice from you guys saying "your body will show you when it is time for the next step". I was shown the chin pump and kechari step 2, although the tounge did not "snap" and stay in place. But it stretched quite violently. It is amazing how little "I" have to do with what is to happen next. The relaxing... the not minding... When I don't ask so many irrelevant questions here in forum I actually are in a lot of non-doing and a not-knowing state being able to relax(believe it or not !)

But I do not know how to handle the OM in the background. I do not find the thread I remembered now, I just remember a warning, that OM is working on opening the crown chakra, and that deliberately using that mantra is no good. But I have never done the OM mantra deliberately. In the beginning I didn't even know about its existence. So how do I handle the sound of OM, without putting mind control into meditation? I try to "gently favour" the AYAM and most often manage to keep the OM in the background, but today it was so clear that the OM was "fighting" to get in the foreground... I had to focus quite hard on the AYAM...

Any recognition of this, any suggestions?

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  5:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc

quote:
It is amazing how little "I" have to do with what is to happen next. The relaxing... the not minding... When I don't ask so many irrelevant questions here in forum I actually are in a lot of non-doing and a not-knowing state being able to relax(believe it or not !)

Wonderful, emc
Our questions may be irrelevant; but it is the motivation behind them that matters. We long for truth, and we go about it the best way we know - at any current level.

As for the "om".....

quote:
But I do not know how to handle the OM in the background

Don't handle it. It is there. Let it be.
The "om" is always with me. It is audible always - whether I meditate or not. I never deliberately did the OM mantra. I never will. Why should I? The opening of the crown is taking place anyway.

I remember going through the exact same thing. I was interested in the OM, emc. Today I see that it was my interest that made me attach myself to the sound. And the attachment increased the sound. As if it was important. More important than stillness itself.

As it turns out, the OM sound is simply another experience. Of another dimension than the normal waking state; yes; but never the less part of the scenery. And scenery is not it. It appears out of it, but it is not it. It seems that "trying to not focus on the OM sound" doesn't work any more than "deliberately focusing on it". Both solutions involves doing. Don't do. Relax. It is perfectly ok for it to be there. Then stay calm. The rest simply follows. I am follows by itself. It is not difficult. It is our ideas that complicates things.

Thank you, emc!
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  05:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Katrine! I was not "interested" in the OM until I read the thread here about the dangers with meditating deliberately on it and causing premature crown opening. So I guess I'm just a bit nervous about making unnecessary mistakes in the beginning. Grateful for the info!
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  05:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc

quote:
I was not "interested" in the OM until I read the thread here about the dangers with meditating deliberately on it and causing premature crown opening

Yes.
Fear will do the same thing: attach you to the OM via your idea of it. Be aware of the fear as I became aware of the interest. Then come back to the mantra - fear or not. Interest or not.

Don't worry - you're fine
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  10:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is absolutely true.

I think yoga quickly opens the eye to this. At first we may not recognize the point of a mudra, but after naturally doing it we can understand its relationship to the energy flow in the body. Until we have the experience of it, we have only our mental projection to draw information from.

In regards to mantra and sound, I think it is good to explore the entire range of the voice. It doesn't even have to be a spritual practice. It is the body's right to examine and explore itself. I think exploring all the ranges of the voice at least for a couple weeks should cause many healings, if done with curiosity.

Edited by - Kyman on Jan 08 2007 10:23:19 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000