Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Dizzy spells after some asanas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MatthewC

Japan
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  07:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit MatthewC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced any kind of dizzy spells, dizziness after coming out of the standing back stretch. I sometimes tend to get what seems like a rush going through my energy field, or aura if you like. I have always had pretty low blood pressure and through my teens often got dizzy spells when standing up, but have gone a long time without them. Recently however, I find myself getting what feels like ripples, no waves throughout my field (particularly round my head) and I've almost fallen over! Maybe I'm stretching back to far! I don't know. The stretch itself is quite comfortable but I can't breathe really whilst I'm doing it. Is that normal? Every other pose I do I can breathe quite comfortably, and do so. Any comments would be appreciated!
THanks,
MatthewC

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  10:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Matthew - I can't even say the word inversion without feeling . I sometimes get hot/cold waves in my body as well. I've been told just to keep working through the asanas and it'll go away, but it hasn't yet. One thing that helps me is to rest in sivasana after every inverted pose for about 5 minutes, or until the dizziness goes away. At first this drove me nuts, and the additional time that it takes is a limiting factor. But the surrender and slowing down has its own merits. You might give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  10:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beginners feel nauseous and disoriented in backbends and inversions. That's normal. More experienced practitioners who overdo backbends (not inversions) get overenergized. That's what's happening here. You need to reduce the number of backbends you do, and the length you hold them. I'd cut it in half. Yogani's cautions on "overdoing" apply to asana as well, particularly backbends.

The breathing issue is secondary, but significant. Just don't bend as deep. Find the point where you CAN breathe, then increase the depth of the bend sloooowly until you're as far as you can go and still breathe. This is important, because backbends cultivate energy and breath holding (kumbaka) does likewise. Doing both together is therefore particularly dangerous....and leads to exactly the results you're reporting.

If you find you can't do any degree of backbend at all and still breathe, you need to find a yoga teacher. I recommend the Iyengar system http://www.bksiyengar.com/modules/T.../teacher.asp

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jan 04 2007 10:51:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

MatthewC

Japan
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  11:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit MatthewC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Meg and Jim for your replies. Advice from both of you that I'm sure I needed to hear.

Jim, I thought I should be able to breathe during the backbend. It's like I can feel the energy building and if I don't come out of it I'd have to yell or something. Not good at 6am when the neighbours are sleeping, but then again neither is a controlled crash to the floor (it only happened the first time I tried it and I realised it was something I had to be careful with!) I will work at holding a comfortable bend where I can breathe and cut the length I hold until I get more experience with the Asanas. If I see no improvement, I will see a teacher.

Thanks again,
Matthew
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  3:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by MatthewC
Jim, I thought I should be able to breathe during the backbend. It's like I can feel the energy building and if I don't come out of it I'd have to yell or something. Not good at 6am when the neighbours are sleeping, but then again neither is a controlled crash to the floor (it only happened the first time I tried it and I realised it was something I had to be careful with!) I will work at holding a comfortable bend where I can breathe and cut the length I hold until I get more experience with the Asanas. If I see no improvement, I will see a teacher.

Great, Matthew, I think you'll get a grip on this quickly.

Really, that suggestion of backing up to the point where you can breathe (even if you're only doing a partial bend) and then gingerly moving forward is the way all asana should be approached. It's not about "doing the pose", it's about exploring (with immersed attention and a spirit of playfulness, not accomplishment) one's edges. That's what this practice is really all about. So I'm not suggesting a special remedial course of action. This is the most effective way to approach asana, generally.

Please let us know how you make out. And very good for you that you're apparently not attached to that over-energized feeling! It can be addictive, but it's way out of balance.

Finally, I'm not someone who puts a lot of effort into exactly when and how to breathe in asana. I kind of let it happen naturally. But you never ever want to hold breath in asana, that's just an absolute. I could give you 30 reasons, but far greater practitioners than I have all agreed on this point, so I hope you'll just bear it in mind!
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  9:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree wholeheartedly with Jim!
Go to Top of Page

meenarashid

76 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  10:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit meenarashid's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
vasovagal syncope

at least that's what the ER calls it when it happens to me

but interestingly enough when getting tested further during the tilt table test the doctor suggested MRS K. as being the reason..

one of my kriya teachers also suggested the same thing: shifting consciousness

of course get further tested to make sure there arent any underlying physical issues

aum

Go to Top of Page

meenarashid

76 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  10:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit meenarashid's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
& BREATH is ALL

never hold your breath in a asana unless there is a particular practice that calls for it

yoga classes are really :breathing classes :)

aum

Edited by - meenarashid on Apr 20 2007 11:07:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

meenarashid

76 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  10:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit meenarashid's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS about backbends being energizing

soo tru ive found just teaching them in classes WATCHING other people do them i get all revved up

dont even need to get into the actual posture
haha also cant do them in the evening or hubby will say

so how many back bends did you do tonight? ( cuz i talk all night) haha speaking of that i musta done some backbends in my sleep very chatty today

aumm

Edited by - meenarashid on Apr 20 2007 10:41:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000