Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Learn Surya Namaskar? (Sun Salutation!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shivakm

USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  12:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit shivakm's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What is the best way to learn surya namaskar? Should I go to a yoga class? Can I learn it from a book or from a website.

If anyone can suggest a good book or website from where I can learn surya namaskar I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Shiva.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  09:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shiva,
Taking a yoga class may help.
Check this topic though.. it may be good enough. I have been doing Surya namaskar for years now.. and IMO these instructions are good
Sun Salutation Website
Go to Top of Page

shivakm

USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2007 :  01:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit shivakm's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Hi Shiva,
Check this topic though.. it may be good enough. I have been doing Surya namaskar for years now.. and IMO these instructions are good
Sun Salutation Website

Shanti,

Thanks for the link. The website is very good.

Also I found another website http://www.yogapoint.com/info/sunsalutation.htm when I was searching for surya namaskar instructions on the web. This site also seems to be pretty good. But I noticed that there are a some small differences in the way the postures are described on these sites.

Let me just give one example. In the site that I have quoted for Ashtanga Namaskara (Salute With Eight Limbs Pose) Position 5 it says that the forehead should be placed on the floor. But on the link that you have provided the picture is shown of a yogi doing this posture with chin touching the floor and forehead up. There are some other differences also.

Which is the right way to do?

Shiva.

Edited by - shivakm on Mar 02 2007 06:07:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2007 :  09:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by shivakm

Let me just give one example. In the site that I have quoted for Ashtanga Namaskara (Salute With Eight Limbs Pose) Position 5 it says that the forehead should be placed on the floor. But on the link that you have provided the picture is shown of a yogi doing this posture with chin touching the floor and forehead up. There are some other differences also.

Shiva.

I do it with the chin up.. that is what I had learnt in my yoga class 20 years back in India..
Actually there are variations of the surya namaskar.. and each yoga class will teach it slightly differently. So I think it would be safe for me to say.. pick any one you like and follow it..
Maybe the experts can help here Sadhak? David? Victor? Jim?

Just to add a bit more confusion to your already confused mind..
This is closest to the one I follow..
http://www.onlinebangalore.com/heal/surya.html
Step #5 and #9 are extra.. that I do follow..
however in step #8.. my forehead is up.

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 02 2007 10:22:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2007 :  6:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shiva, I'd encourage you strongly to learn sun salutation. It's really a superb exercise.

It can be done at any pace, and when it's done fast enough, it also gives you aerobic exercise. I do 10-20 minutes of it fast every morning. I believe minute for minute, it's a far, far superior exercise to running, because it stretches you, exercises far more muscles than running, and does not jar the joints like running does. And of course you can do it indoors, in all weather.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2007 :  8:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually there are variations of the surya namaskar.. and each yoga class will teach it slightly differently. So I think it would be safe for me to say.. pick any one you like and follow it..
Hi Shivakm,
What Shanti says here is absolutely right. Each school has its variation. Stick with the one that works for you. It is important to observe how your body responds to each asana instead of pushing on regardles. All the best!
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  7:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,
You have got me practicing these movements now. I became interested to learn when David mentioned that the Sun Salutation movements are a good excercise. While searching for other instructions, I read the Wikipedia site for Surya Namaskar and am delighted to read that these movements were inspired from the fitness routines of wrestlers to help them get and stay in shape. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surya_Namaskara

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration.

Hunter

P.S. For any interested athletes, take a look at this other Wikipedia page for Indian wrestling. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pehlwani

Edited by - Hunter on Mar 03 2007 7:11:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

shivakm

USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  4:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit shivakm's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for replying back and clarifying my doubts and also for the wonderful insight into the sun salutation technique itself.
Go to Top of Page

Amaargi

Australia
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  03:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Amaargi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know, the forehead on the ground allows the third eye to be bathed in energy....so it would be a matter of personal choice what result you want to achieve - chin up wouldn't bathe the third eye.

Amaargi

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Hi Shiva,
Sun Salutation Website

Shanti,

Thanks for the link. The website is very good.

Also I found another website http://www.yogapoint.com/info/sunsalutation.htm when I was searching for surya namaskar instructions on the web. This site also seems to be pretty good. But I noticed that there are a some small differences in the way the postures are described on these sites.

Shiva.

Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  08:07:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

What is the best way to learn surya namaskar? Should I go to a yoga class? Can I learn it from a book or from a website.

If anyone can suggest a good book or website from where I can learn surya namaskar I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Shiva.

Hi Shiva,

I'd like to recommend something to you, since you are interested in Surya Namaskar, that you may find to be a powerful supplement: that being Surya Yoga - commonly referred to Sun Gazing in the West. I've done this sort practice, for well over a year now, and find it quite useful and enjoyable.

If you're curious about techniques, I'd recommend these following:

The Hira Ratan Manek Technique
http://www.solarhealing.com/sgprocess.htm

The Suryayog Technique
http://www.suryayog.org/html/suryayogtech.html

May you all be happy and achieve the highest bliss,
Nirodha

Edited by - Nirodha on Apr 03 2007 08:13:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

markc

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  07:06:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit markc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do Surya Namaskara during my ahtanga practice, this site http://ashtangayoga.info/asana-viny...a/index.html explains things nicely including drishti and breath counts.
Go to Top of Page

meenarashid

76 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  10:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit meenarashid's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
wonderful sun saluts

http://www.nandhi.com/suryanamaskar.htm

aum
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000