Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System
 Ashwini Mudra, Mulabandha and Self pacing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

firststep

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2021 :  3:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
A few weeks ago I was drawn to practicing Ashwini mudra (the contraction/release of the anus muscles) and mulabandha (the contraction/release of the perineum muscle without holding). As I kept practicing both the contractions whenever I remembered during the day, I started noticing the contraction and expansion of energy occurring inside the body as with the physical contractions.

This practice started refining over the next few days as I practiced only really subtle physical contractions (almost non-existent) to get the energy contraction/expansion going. Once I had the energy sensation, I practiced only the energetic contraction and release. Well, the weekend arrived, so with fewer distractions, I was able to practice both the mudra and the bandha more often. I only noticed the Kundalini energy spooling up at the base as a result of this practice.

Now is the cautionary-tale part: A few hours before bedtime, my lower back started hurting as if I had pulled a muscle around the spine. However, by bedtime, I was in a full-blown pain where I could not straighten up or lower myself forward. I would rate that as the worst back pain I have ever had, basically, I was handicapped that night. I was able to get a few hours of sleep on my back. It took a few more hours of rest the next morning for this pain to subside and for me to be able to bend forward to pick stuff off the floor.

My takeaways from the experience are: 1. I remember Yogani mentioning that a little flick of the closed eye would keep the Sambhavi mudra going in that lesson. I experienced it at the base. 2. Even when it feels great, keep the practice with self pacing in mind.

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2021 :  04:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello firststep

Thank you for sharing.

Yes, this is a story with a self-pacing moral. And also proving the importance of having a balanced mix of practices that work towards global purification of the energy channels. Focusing on just one segment or chakra can cause a build up of energy in one area and a painful bottleneck.

quote:
Originally posted by firststep
2. Even when it feels great, keep the practice with self pacing in mind.

Overdoing energy practices often results in an initial pleasurable feeling that turns into discomfort a few hours later. It's an easy-to-spot signal that we are pushing over the safe limit.

I hope your practice is going well otherwise. Practise wisely and enjoy, as Yogani says.
Go to Top of Page

firststep

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  7:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello BRC,

Yes, this was a not-so-gentle reminder for me to self-pace.

My practice has been a combination of Daily Meditation and Energetic practices. Over the last couple of months, I have dropped almost all my AYP energy practices except for 5 rounds of SBP before non-AYP DM, favoring inner silence to EC. Even 5 rounds of SBP seem to get the EC going during the meditation session.

The above-mentioned experience was a detour that occurred over a few days. I am glad I was able to walk away from it quickly. Also just the other day, I remembered that I usually sit in advanced siddhasana (energetic practice) during DM and dropped that too. Now I simply sit cross-legged during DM.

Apart from the above episode, I am actually enjoying my daily sits.

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2021 :  07:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi FirstStep,

Thank you for sharing. This is a good illustration of increased energetic practices.

As most your energetic practices were done toward the root/the end of the spine, and there is where the challenge appeared, I wonder if you may benefit from sambhavi mudra to direct the energy up, toward the third eye (the space between the eyebrows to the middle of the forehead). The third eye, the center of command and control, when energized, makes for a smoother ride. Also, this would encourage the energy to rise rather that pooling in the lower body, and you should be able to go deeper in the inner silence in meditation.

Best wishes for your practice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000