Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Groupthink
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  2:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Here is some useful information that I wanted to post which I have been learning in a required group communication course:

"Groupthink is a phenomenon that occurs in highly cohesive groups where members ignore evidence and opinions contrary to their views, and disregard alternative choices, in order to preserve their feeling of unity" (271).

Four Conditions That Promote Groupthink

1. Very high cohesiveness

2. Insulation: The insulation of the group from contradictory sources inhibits members from getting information and expert opinion. Keep the group from hearing criticisms and skeptical evaluations.

3. Lack of a tradition of impartial leadership: A two fold condition where leaders discourage open inquiry and where the members are unwilling to question the leadership.

4. Lack of rules and norms about methods and procedures: ...they will choose a path that is relatively free of criticism or countervailing evidence and argument.

Groupthink seems to be the foundation for cults and even more serious, destructive cults.

Why has this been posted and shared? For a couple reasons: I want to applaud and express my gratitude to some posters in this forum who have inspired me to do more critical thinking and who keep this forum honest through dissent and conflict. Wonderful.

Another is that I hope readers will find the information to be practical in their own work within groups of all kinds.

The above information is credited to:
Wilson, Gerald L. Groups In Context: Leadership and Participation in Small Groups. 7th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 2005.

Edited by - Hunter on Dec 03 2006 2:23:41 PM

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  2:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. Dissent and conflict can be very beneficial and so I hope that no one is discouraged when conflict arises in this forum, as it is a great opportunity for growth and for being honest with oneself.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  2:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yip, and where spiritual groups are pathological, you'll find the groupthink particularly strong. So, before joining any group, watch out for the groupthink!

Of course, this isn't confined to religions and cults and stuff, or even definite, organized groups; this stuff is part of a more general human problem. It even permeates human civil governemtal politics to a considerable extent, and 'groups' that have no official membership or definite boundary. There's all sorts of groupthink going on in, say, many 'liberals' and 'conservatives' alike. It can be part of what allows people to ignore evidence on almost any issue. By an large, faction-membership damages evidence-examination.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Dec 03 2006 2:24:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  2:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great post, Hunter. You too david:

I wanted to add that it's important to use our God given faculties of reason, critical thought, logic, as you said Hunter. And it is unfortunate that many people use spirituality as a form of escapism and a group mentality to avoid the responsibility that comes along with facing reality; as if spirituality has nothing to do with psychology/common sense. Or, even worse, they will stop listening to themselves, even though they know that a thing doesn't conform with logic, or just doesn't feel right, isn't right, but will instead allow another person to dictate their experience and become mindless puppets pulled along by the strings of a guru/religion/magnetic personality/whatever. And so they become the soap box of an other's experience/tradition/teaching, regurgitating what they've learned as truth, without clear understanding of the process or without questioning their belief systems or another's teachings.

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Dec 03 2006 3:10:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  4:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hunter,

quote:
P.S. Dissent and conflict can be very beneficial and so I hope that no one is discouraged when conflict arises in this forum, as it is a great opportunity for growth and for being honest with oneself.

I'm glad you have found this to be true, Hunter. Great work.
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  12:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

... this stuff is part of a more general human problem. It even permeates human civil governemtal politics to a considerable extent, and 'groups' that have no official membership or definite boundary. There's all sorts of groupthink going on in, say, many 'liberals' and 'conservatives' alike. It can be part of what allows people to ignore evidence on almost any issue. By an large, faction-membership damages evidence-examination.

I was going to say something similar. This 'groupthink' is happening on national levels. Especially where massmedia are controlled by relatively few people, and differing views on crucial subjects are never allowed. Some counties have even passed laws to ban differing views on certain subjects.

The internet is slowly eradicating this problem. But even on the internet most people tend to stick to their pre-established path of thinking instead of challenging themselves and keeping an open mind.

PS. All conflicts and misunderstandings come from ignorance.

Edited by - Chiron on Dec 04 2006 01:23:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  5:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The worst thing is when you end up god knows where because you presumed that someone else was leading the group.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  7:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is happening a lot today because, with the information explosion
there isn't time to absorb all the information, and people haven't learned how to intelligently cope with that. It doesn't even have to have all the requirements on the above group think list.
People believe something just because "a lot of scientists say it's true", or "a lot of doctors say it's true", or some actor with a charismatic personality believes it. They don't ask for the reasons.

Conversely, people have taken to rejecting whole ideas because one small aspect is magnified by a charismatic source, until that aspect makes the whole idea unacceptable.
For instance, some people would never vote for a gay person because they think their sex life is disgusting, something they will never see, it's none of their business, and has nothing to do with politics.

People are influenced by negative political campaign ads, when you know they are only part of the story, taken out of context. They pay attention to charisma and sound bytes (for a few seconds). They love Jerry Springer and wrestling.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000