AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Night shift/ yoga nidra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  9:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello fellow travelers,

Recently, I worked my first a night shift at the bakery (8pm-6am), then came home to rest briefly before getting up and going to back to work again for an afternoon shift (1pm-9pm). During that sleep period, I experienced a span of deep sleep while remaining conscious, like meditating and resting deeply at the same time, power sleeping. My body was heavy in relation to any conscious attempt to move it, but light energetically.

Today I did a search on the topic and learned the term "yoga nidra" of which Yogani, on Feb 02 2006, wrote:

"I will get to it in more detail someday. It is a bit of a fad at the moment -- a bit overrated. In AYP, we view it mainly as effect rather than cause -- the natural rise of inner silence (the witness) around the clock, including during sleep, as a result of sitting practices, particularly deep meditation and samyama."

Interesting stuff. I'm trying to decide whether to work that night shift/afternoon shift combo once a week on a regular basis. I was worried that it might be somehow harmful by messing up my natural "circadian rhythm." See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian
I felt tired at the end of the evening shift and a bit jet lagged the next morning. On the other hand, it sure comes with some interesting yogic scenery. I plan to try it for a month, then re-evaluate.

Would any of you care to share any thoughts on once a week night shift and/or conscious deep sleep?

Edited by - bewell on Dec 03 2006 5:29:26 PM

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  07:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bewell:

That "someday" on yoga nidra is getting closer. The samyama book coming out in a month or so will address it in an additional practical way -- a new practice.

As for shift work, it has been said that all days or all nights is better than mixing and matching. The latter can produce the equivalent of "jet lag," though some can handle it without difficulty. It really depends on your own tendencies/inner energy dynamics, and you will be the best judge of it.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  10:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bewell,
The forest buddhist monks, living in Northern Thailand, do a practice where they stay awake all night once a month (on the full moon). They believe it benefits their spiritual practice. They meditate all night, some of them without moving for eight hours. They are not doing the same kind of meditation that we are doing here. I have friends who run camps near to where I live, and they stay awake for the full 3 days of the camp. They believe the same thing, that it is a spiritual practice leading to higher states of consciousness. They use halucenogens to help them stay awake. I have done it a few times with the Buddhist monks, and I think there is something in it.

Looking forward to the new book Yogani...

L&L

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Dec 03 2006 10:07:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  5:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi
The forest buddhist monks, living in Northern Thailand, do a practice where they stay awake all night once a month (on the full moon). .

Interesting, Christi, I spent a few weeks in a Thai monastery too. Pataya city. More a cultural immersion for me than a meditation oriented experience. I had not thought of the full moon connection. I see we are coming up on a full moon in a couple of days (Dec. 5). My conscious deep sleep might have been enhanced by the moon edging toward becoming full.

Yogani, I look forward to your next book. I had a hunch you would soon make good on your intent to write more about yoga nidra -- I've had a number of such synchronicities between your writing and my experience. Thanks so much for your ongoing teaching. It is an honor to be riding the waves.

Edited by - bewell on Dec 03 2006 5:27:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000