Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 I'm new here
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Victor Frankl

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  05:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help with this. I've been interested in yoga and spritual things for many years, however I find it very difficult to stay on the spiritual path, I get distracted by life so easily. Over the last year I have made many positive changes to my lifestyle that were made naturally and easily, I have become a vegetarian and I am looking after my health in ways I didnt before. I am a single woman and the people I know have either settled down into family life or are artistic types who live a hedonistic lifestyle. After so long of doing practice I seem to get swept back up into the hedonistic way of life, if only for a weekend and it makes me feel very bad afterwards. I feel that as a single person,it is sometimes quite a lonely path. I do feel much better when following Yogani's lessons but then I feel like I'm on my own with it all and when I do go out I get caught up in a whole other level of existence. The trouble is I seem to be caught between two extremes. I'm sorry I havent explained this very well but if anyone could offer me some advice on this, I'd be grateful.

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  09:04:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. Your user name suggests that you know who the real Viktor Frankl was! He wrote the book "Man's Search for Meaning" and continues to be an inspiration for many people.
If this is your chosen path, do put into practice the meditation techniques in Yogani's lessons. It does not have to be all or nothing. Even when you don't feel like meditating, just do a few minutes of meditation followed by a couple of minutes of rest. Soon, you will gain clarity in your actions and purpose in life. Welcome once again and enjoy your practice.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
867 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  10:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Victor, and welcome to the forum!

I agree with Justmail: let go of the judgements ("I like this," "I don't like that," "I am this or that," etc.) and focus on the practice. Start with deep meditation, 20 minutes twice is great, but if this does not work you, do 10 minutes twice a day. Just find a way to fit it in the schedule, and then go on with your life. Stick with the practice for at least two weeks, and then re-evaluate and see if you want to continue or stop. Chances are that by then you will start to see the reasons to continue.

Another thing that helps is to surround ourselves with like-minded people. Start to go to a regular yoga class and make friends. Find a meditation group. Spend less time with people who don't support you - and find time for people interested in yoga and spirituality. Consider coming to an AYP retreat - we have a retreat in June at Menla.

Keep up the practice, and you will get your dose of hedonism from meditation and yoga - and your life will change by itself.

Warm wishes,
Blanche
Go to Top of Page

InSearch

India
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  2:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Blanche, that you will get your dose of hedonism from meditation . IMO spirituality is not about leaving or controlling, it is more about expanding and holding on to more meaningful things, useless things will drop by themselves.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2018 :  3:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A meditation practice is encouraging your human body to become a portal to the Divine, and in this ongoing journey we change and are changed, and change others in our orbit with the pureness and love that spills forth. I've learned, through practice and from the fellow yogis here, not tether strongly to control, pleasures, sides, and scenery, for then they become anchors.

Welcome to AYP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000