AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Ujjayi - some questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  3:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have some questions on this slow, deep breathing with hissing sound... It was one of my first automatic yoga experiences, feeling "someone else" breathing, instead of me. Just long waves of air and energy going up and down, slowly... very slow in my opinion. But what is that? I am rather short and have had quite bad lung capacity according to asthma tests. I have not been doing aerobic exercise for some years, my condition could definitely be better.

My normal breathing in rest is 2-3 seconds inhale and a little longer exhale, 3-4 seconds. When in a stable deep breathing I inhale 6 seconds and exhale 8 sec.

Sometimes it gets even slower, I don't know exactly how slow, but 10-12 seconds inhale and 16 on exhale. and then it also happens that I dont breath at all, either on inhale or exhale pauses.

Since this occurs automatically for me, I do not know how to behave during yoga classes or treatments when breathing is supposed to be faster. If I am to do as the teacher says: five breaths during one asana in my own pace, then I would get hopelessly behind... Should I break the slow breathing then by will, although my body wants to continue?

From what I understand, the hissing sound comes from the epiglottis closing in the throat... When this automatic slow breathing started it was with a hissing sound, but I feel the air sometimes is blocked much higher up, nearer the nose... is that just a sensation because the epiglottis is hard to define the feeling of, or may the air be blocked at some other place?

I read in another thread about peoples experience of the difference between hissing both in- and out, or just out. It was interesting. My hissing started on both in and out breaths. I follow that since my body wants it that way. Do you think I should override the automacy and open by will on inhales?

Just for fun... I have heard that the cells absorb 5 times as much oxygen during deep breathing. It must be accurate. I was at the gym, using the stairmaster while in deep breathing. I thought I would snap out of it when it got too heavy, but it continued. In the end I had a heart rate of 180, the sweat was pouring, but I still had a tempo of 6-in, 8-out secs breathing. Amazing!!! I can tell you my neighbour next to me was a bit impressed.

I also wonder about the relation between ujjayi and awareness: I walk around a great part of the day with this slow breathing... Is it helping me to stay in awareness? It feels as if my awareness is clearer when I'm in it, but my mind may babble as usual along with it. Is it purification going on, only by this slow breathing by itself? If not... why do I get it?

Edited by - emc on Nov 12 2006 4:06:42 PM

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  4:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey EMC, great post with lots of great questions! I will give you my take because I need a break from homework.

quote:
Since this occurs automatically for me, I do not know how to behave during yoga classes or treatments when breathing is supposed to be faster. If I am to do as the teacher says: five breaths during one asana in my own pace, then I would get hopelessly behind... Should I break the slow breathing then by will, although my body wants to continue?

Follow your body's adjustments rather than trying to adjust the speed for a yoga class. I have the same "problem" as you. We were doing 6 alternate nostril rounds, and I got 2 in when the teacher said to move on. No big deal...the more relaxation (slower breaths) the better.

quote:
From what I understand, the hissing sound comes from the epiglottis closing in the throat... When this automatic slow breathing started it was with a hissing sound, but I feel the air sometimes is blocked much higher up, nearer the nose... is that just a sensation because the epiglottis is hard to define the feeling of, or may the air be blocked at some other place?

I think it's just the sensation of the breath spiralling in the pharynx.

quote:
I read in another thread about peoples experience of the difference between hissing both in- and out, or just out. It was interesting. My hissing started on both in and out breaths. I follow that since my body wants it that way. Do you think I should override the automacy and open by will on inhales?

During normal everyday breathing just do what the body does. During spinal breathing, it's best to open the epiglottis on the inhale. Yogani explains why in the lessons...perhaps someone else can provide a link?

quote:
I also wonder about the relation between ujjayi and awareness: I walk around a great part of the day with this slow breathing... Is it helping me to stay in awareness?

We are always in awareness when we're awake. During our non practice time, we become aware of whatever things are there in the moment. Sometimes you can become aware of the breath.

Yoga books have stated that the mind and breath are closely related. If you calm the breath, you calm the mind, and vice versa. So you're right that this deepened and relaxed breath brings you more towards an aware-of-the-moment state of mind. Just remember not to make a practice of doing anything intentional with the breath during non practice time. It's best to let it do what it needs to do.

quote:
It feels as if my awareness is clearer when I'm in it, but my mind may babble as usual along with it. Is it purification going on, only by this slow breathing by itself? If not... why do I get it?

Slow breathing is a result of purification, and when done without straining, it also purifies.

Hope this helped!
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  08:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot, Scott! You helped me a lot with all those answers!

quote:
So you're right that this deepened and relaxed breath brings you more towards an aware-of-the-moment state of mind. Just remember not to make a practice of doing anything intentional with the breath during non practice time. It's best to let it do what it needs to do.

This was comforting to hear.

Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  04:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hm... more questions...

1) I have for the last year had this deep breathing most of the time during the day, and since I started with spinal breathing with no problem during practices. Suddenly it is almost gone. I can't even seem to get it by focus and concentration during practices. I have a very shallow and fast breathing with frequent stops during pranayama. I know I should just go along with the breathing and accept, but it is difficult to know how to track the spinal nerve with this fast, irregular and staccato breathing with frequent breaks. Any suggestions?

What I try to do is to just let go when I lose track, and for every somewhat normal inhale I start tracking the nerve and try to keep the routine the best I can, often jumping directly from root to ajna or vice versa.

2) Usually, I can easily track the nerve on its way down from ajna. I see it, feel it and have no problems following it with focus - its a spaghetti-thin thread. But on the inhale I have difficulties sensing anything other that a great tube in which the energy just says "SWOOSH" and then "KATCHONG" hits the ajna with great force. I have interpreted it according to my history of awakening - I started with an overload of energy, jumping directly into advanced tantra with no inner silence to balance it why I ended up in a lot of symptoms and had to learn to ground myself and self-pace. Is this out of the blue? Any suggestions of why this is?

3) I have opposite sensations of heat and cold! The "swoosh" comes like a hot fire - not a cool wave. And the tiny, glittery, minty string that pours down the spine on exhale is rather cool and frosty. Why is this? I try to visualize the opposite, but it does not feel natural. What is this????

Greatful for any thoughts and comments.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  9:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi EMC,
Check this thread on Pranayama observations.. maybe you will find something helpful there.

Edited by - Shanti on Dec 20 2006 9:33:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  12:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

3) I have opposite sensations of heat and cold! The "swoosh" comes like a hot fire - not a cool wave. And the tiny, glittery, minty string that pours down the spine on exhale is rather cool and frosty. Why is this? I try to visualize the opposite, but it does not feel natural. What is this????

Hi EMC,
I get this at times too... in fact didn't bother about it, and looked at the possibility of it being 'opposite' only after reading this post of yours. In fact, is it opposite to what it should be. the breath that goes down often feels cool.

Plus even if it isn't, don't try visualizing anything. thing is to become as effortless as possibile. Let it happen. Don't try. Let go... if I'm making sense here.
all zee best.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000