Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Siddhasana, Mulabandha and Pulsation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ycloutier2000

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  5:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What is the pulsation in the perineum region when pulling up the sphincter while sitting on the heel?

It is much quicker than the pulsation of the blood and the heartbeat. It's very intersting.

thanks

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  5:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Y:

It is a "kundalini" vibration. I just answered this one recently in email:

Q:
There is something I need to ask you. For the past 2 or 3 days, I have been feeling a constant vibration in my pelvic area, starting from the base of my spine and moving up. It lasts only for a few seconds, but comes back ever min or 2. Not sure if this is a part of meditation ... or should I should go to a doctor. It does not happen during meditation alone, it is happening all the time. It feels like sitting on a machine that is vibrating. Could you help me?

A:
Vibrations in and around the perineum are not unusual when advancing in yoga. It is purification going on and should not last long. I have had it myself many times over the years. If it gets to be too much, then just self-pace your practices, and do some good grounding activity like walking or other exercise. See lesson #69 http://www.aypsite.org/69.html

Sometimes the vibrations will feel physical but will often be more neurological than physical. It can be a mixture of both too. And it can happen during daily activity.

Don't worry, it will pass. If it turns into something that is obviously medical, then be sure and have a doctor's opinion. But just some vibraton coming and going every now and then is normal purification in yoga. As mentioned, if it becomes troublesome, then self-pace practices until it settles down.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  09:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sitting on the heel in my practice now. But I have just added mulabandha. I have some physical vibrations too at least for the first few times. I didn't bother to check since I want to continue with my practice, but I think my genital was shaking. It wasn't a nice experience, as there seems to be some sort of sexual stimulations (but quite different from and much weaker than a normal sexual activity) to distract me. Is it the kind of pulsation you guys are talking about?

I think it's due to a rapid contraction/relaxation of muscles around the perineum. The muscles shake because they are too weak, very much like the shaking one experience in some hatha yoga asanas at the beginning stage (??). Supporting evidence: soe months ago I tried placing my finger in the perineum while doing mulabanda in a standing position. That part would goes up for at most a few seconds when I pull up the sphincter, but soon it fades out (even while my sphincter is still being pulled up). So the muscles in the perineum (?) cannot follow the sphincter. So I think my perineum area (and may be my genital too) shake in my sitting practices when pulling up the sphincter because the muscles are still not under my control. Any opinions?

By the way, even without the physical vibrations, I seems to feel some stimulation around my sphincter muscles after I started mulabanda. Don't know whether I should call it a "sexual stimulation". Anyway, it's a kind of feeling which arouse me a bit. The feeling is there sometimes even after my sitting practices. Is it the neurological vibrations which Yogani refered to?
Go to Top of Page

ycloutier2000

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  5:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The perineum muscle can be weak at first, but it is like any other muscle - with practice it strengthens. There is an exercise called the PC squeeze that is used to strengthen the PC muscule to control ejaculation during intercourse. In my case I can hold the squeeze for some time before it starts to shake from fatigue. What I felt during Siddhasana was quite different. Not an uncontrolled shaking from fatique, but a rapid pulsation.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2006 :  8:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Chan
I have some physical vibrations too at least for the first few times. I didn't bother to check since I want to continue with my practice, but I think my genital was shaking. It wasn't a nice experience...

Hey Alvin...

I read this old post, and afterward, I felt a vibration in my groin, I think just like the one you described. A sympathetic thing. Funny. Unpleasant indeed.

How is it going for you vis a vi that vibration?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000