AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  11:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All -

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but here goes. I have been reading up on AYP in general and I had the impression that one should refrain from other forms of meditation if you are doing AYP. I currently have a stable practice of mantra and tantra which I spend a few hours a day on and I am happy with it. If I were to add AYP, that would only be an extra 30 minutes twice a day. I am really not clear on why the restriction on other forms of sadhana. Could someone give me some clarification here?

comdyne

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  09:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
AYP has fairly powerful practices. They work in a specific fashion. Think of it like a river...AYP is a current which is flowing very rapidly towards the North, and other practices may be flowing towards the South...so mixing the two currents, you're not really flowing anywhere quickly and you're just making a bunch of waves. Not saying that your current practices are anti-AYP...they may work fine in accordance with it.

Why are you interested in AYP if your current practices are fine?

I think the general rule here is: whatever works. Try it out a little bit, and see if it's too much. That's just my suggestion...I'm sure others will have differing views.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  09:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Comdyne:

There are no restrictions on practice in AYP -- only pointing out the potential issues related to "doubling up" on the same or similar elements of practice found in different systems, and running the risk of excess purification in the nervous sytem, which can be uncomfortable and counterproductive to our progress.

It is up to each practitioner to find their own balance in practices.

The suggestions on this in AYP are based on known probable pitfalls. But it is always up to you. So, what we have in AYP is an open source template that has been shown to be progressive and reasonably stable with prudent self-pacing applied. How you fill it in is up to you.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  5:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott -

Interesting view on different techniques. As I said, yes I am happy with my current practices, but being human, always keeping a lookout for bigger, better, etc. I liked Yogani's writing and figured the time investment is minimal, particularly since I already spend a few hours each day in practices plus asanas. Maybe I'll just try adding it on to my other practices and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

Blessings,

comdyne

quote:
Originally posted by Scott

AYP has fairly powerful practices. They work in a specific fashion. Think of it like a river...AYP is a current which is flowing very rapidly towards the North, and other practices may be flowing towards the South...so mixing the two currents, you're not really flowing anywhere quickly and you're just making a bunch of waves. Not saying that your current practices are anti-AYP...they may work fine in accordance with it.

Why are you interested in AYP if your current practices are fine?

I think the general rule here is: whatever works. Try it out a little bit, and see if it's too much. That's just my suggestion...I'm sure others will have differing views.

Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  5:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Yogani -

Thank you for the comments. Excess purification??? I have been practicing for several years now and do several hours a day plus sometimes do intense sadhana sessions for a week at a time [breaking for meals and bathroom] and have never had excess purification to the best of my knowledge. Has this happened before with AYP? I think I might try adding it on and see what happens.

Best,

comdyne

quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Comdyne:

There are no restrictions on practice in AYP -- only pointing out the potential issues related to "doubling up" on the same or similar elements of practice found in different systems, and running the risk of excess purification in the nervous sytem, which can be uncomfortable and counterproductive to our progress.

It is up to each practitioner to find their own balance in practices.

The suggestions on this in AYP are based on known probable pitfalls. But it is always up to you. So, what we have in AYP is an open source template that has been shown to be progressive and reasonably stable with prudent self-pacing applied. How you fill it in is up to you.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  6:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Comdyne,

quote:
Interesting view on different techniques.

Haha yeah...after I wrote it I was thinking "that's pretty stupid sounding".

quote:
As I said, yes I am happy with my current practices, but being human, always keeping a lookout for bigger, better, etc. I liked Yogani's writing and figured the time investment is minimal, particularly since I already spend a few hours each day in practices plus asanas. Maybe I'll just try adding it on to my other practices and see what happens.

Do you have a stilling type practice, like mantra meditation? I'd say personally, even though you're probably much more experienced than I am, that meditation (becoming fully silent and still) is the core of the rest of the practices. Without it, they are all useless.

You probably know this already.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  7:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again Scott -

Yes, mantra is the main thrust of my practice. Even the tantra is Sri Vidya which has repetition of Sanskrit mantra but it is not exactly still. The regular mantra can take me into samadhi though. It alone is very powerful.

Namaste,

comdyne

Go to Top of Page

Babaly

USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  12:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Babaly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Comdyne,

I too had been doing hours of meditation etc., for many years, but I found a lot of "purification" once I started with AYP.

If you are into Sri Vidya maybe you will be fine with it all but I would caution to test things out and see for yourself what you feel.

It's great that you have joined the forum and I look forward to reading further posts from you. Welcome:-)

Babaly
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000