Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 "Excess Dreaming" and Self-Pacing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  07:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering whether this issue has cropped up/does crop up for AYP practitioners...

When I "over-meditated" (different system but similar approach) for a time recently I ended up very drained and with a lot of stale energy in the head (as reported separately here). With hindsight one of the 'lead-indicators' of this was kind of "excess dreaming"... very conscious of lots of dreams each night... all sorts of weird things thrown in together and wake up feeling tired not rested. It reminded me of a 60s psychedelic song "I had too much to dream last night"

Any self-paced right back down to zero and then started upping it again in slow increments... after the latest increase (to 15mins) I realised after a few days that this "excess dreaming" had come back again (so have backed off to 10mins (I know its a trivial amount but I am playing "the Tortoise" and not "the Hare" this time )).

So it occurred to me to wonder whether any of you guys had found similar "signs" of cleansing/purification/excess etc?

Peace

Mike

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  08:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:
When I "over-meditated" (different system but similar approach) for a time recently I ended up very drained and with a lot of stale energy in the head (as reported separately here). With hindsight one of the 'lead-indicators' of this was kind of "excess dreaming"... very conscious of lots of dreams each night... all sorts of weird things thrown in together and wake up feeling tired not rested

Hi Mike,
I went thorough something very similar, before AYP, when I did over-meditate. There was a point when my dreams were so real, that during the day... I could not tell if something was a dream or it had really happened. I was always tired and did wake up feeling drained. During meditation I had such vivid visions.. it scared me. Did not know about self pacing then...
You are doing the right thing by cutting back.. Great!!!! You picked up the concept of self pacing. without people at the forum, having to hammer it into your head.. way to go "tortoise".. yep.. slow and steady wins the race.. at least this one... And like Yogani puts it.. this race is a marathon, not a sprint..
Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  11:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing Shanti

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti
You picked up the concept of self pacing. without people at the forum, having to hammer it into your head..

Indeed - I tried the reeeeeally effective, everlasting way of learning... aka the rather painful 'experience'/'put ones hand in the fire and discover directly that it does burn'

But at the big picture level I quite like this whole idea of people having 'precursors'...'lead indicators' to over-cleansing/over-purifying/going-too-fast... This way the unpleasant stuff might be avoided before it crops up

tx again

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  3:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Mike:

As a wise Roman philosopher once said....."Ab Uno disce Omnes, a maximus ad minima, aequo animo" ~ "From One learn All, from the greatest to the least, with equal disposition", and elsewhere...."De die in diem, respice finem, et festina lente" ~ "From day to day, consider the end, and hurry slowly".

Hari OM!

Doc

Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  4:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Doc - we seem to meet in some of the internets most interesting corners

quote:
As a wise Roman philosopher once said....."

Was that the same guy who said "two pints of lager and a packet of crisps please"?!
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  12:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mike:

More likely, he would have ordered "two poculums of wine and a bowl of grapes".....to shared with a toast ~ "Ad vivum! In vino veritas!"

http://magellannarfe.com/images/roman%20feast.jpg
http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images/bacchus3.jpg
http://encyclopedia.quickseek.com/i...ius_bust.jpg
http://www.fordham.edu/HALSALL/ANCI...relius1.html

Hari OM!

Doc

Edited by - Doc on Nov 10 2006 03:56:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000