Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Awareness versus mantra repetition
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brauniver

Switzerland
42 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  8:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit brauniver's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is it ok to intentially "let go" the mantra and stay in this stillness behind it or should we really keep it for the whole session?

It seems to me that favoring the mantra is rather being more in energy. Stillness is coming up but real stillnes I just find without listening to the mantra. The mantra always brings some "disturbance" into this stillness.

Any ideas?

oli

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  8:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi brauniver,

Yes, in AYP deep meditation we do keep the mantra going for the whole session. It may disappear for periods by itself, and we let it modify itself, so it may become very faint or fuzzy, but we don't let it go intentionally. The purpose of doing the mantra is not primarily to create stillness during the meditation itself, but to let it do its purification work, and to let the mind go beyond rational thinking. The long-term effect will be inner silence, which is more than stillness, it's more like a primordial awareness behind everything else, independent of what's going on in the mind or surroundings.

Edited by - weaver on Nov 06 2006 8:23:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

brauniver

Switzerland
42 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  08:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit brauniver's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Weaver!

The purpose isn't stillness itself.... interesting. Since I did Vipassana for long time for me silence in meditation was the main thing. But I really like what you are saying because therefore this kind of underlying subtle striving for stillness in meditation just disappears. That is great!
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  09:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oli, Weaver has answered you well.

Letting the mantra go intentionally might work well sometimes in the small, but in the large, it introduces an aspect of choice into the meditation which can get in the way. One of the problems with it is that it may set up a mess of thoughts and questions like "Should I let it go now? What about later? Or should I stay with the mantra, because, oooooo it is getting fine.... maybe it'll fade by itself ....yada, yada yada"

Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  10:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What about introducing a fixed procedure to be done everytime? e.g. do the normal deep meditation for a fixed time, and after that start the let-go part.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  12:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alvin, that could work, but it presents another problem: when to start the mantra again?

Do you see where this is going?
Go to Top of Page

brauniver

Switzerland
42 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  09:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit brauniver's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I though Alvin is thinking about practising mantra meditation and AFTER these 20 or so minutes doing this thing of letting go or just be aware.

That is at least what I did the last days. Mantra meditation for me is very energy related therefore the whole session is "about Energy". According to that it seems that for me it is good AFTER mantra meditation just be there (watch the breath or just be aware) without the "distraction" of energy related phenomenems. Doing so it is easier to practise samyama after meditation without moving and shaking and be more aware.

I gonna check it out some more days if it really works like that.

BTW: Some of you probably know it already. There is another great yoga page with a lot of theory and practice.

http://www.swamij.com

And especially about mantra meditation:

http://www.swamij.com/mantra-japa-ajapa.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000