AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 The amazing kechari method
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  9:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Yawn Kechari. hehe

You yawn and slip into kechari when your mouth is open. Stealthy.

Edited by - Kyman on Nov 03 2006 9:30:17 PM

bliss_

25 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  05:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit bliss_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't do kechari yet, but I've noticed that whe we yawn the uvula goes up and the hole becomes more accessible.

Nice method.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  09:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a joke really. Just something I thought others would've have experienced too.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  11:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But you know, when i try it, the full mouth stretch of a yawn does add an ease to slipping the tongue up that hole
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  03:00:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

Yawn Kechari. hehe

You yawn and slip into kechari when your mouth is open. Stealthy.

Guys .... (not a gender thing .... a "friendly thing" ... my daughters call each other "dude" .... "like that"!) ....

So, anyway ...... Guys ...... I am SO close to Stage 2, I can literally taste it!

(Enhanced saltiness as tongue gets back to the point at, and behind the uvula.)

Bhakti-wise, I feel completely ready.

Snippage-wise, I'm getting some noticeable length, fairly rapidly (if I inhale -- or yawn -- thanks, Kyman! -- the tip of my tongue easily reaches back to, and pushes up on, the soft palate "flap").

So here's the thing / question:

Based on everything I'm feeling / sensing, and everything I know about the physiology of Kechari (tongue, mouth, frenum, "palate flap", etc.) -- it *seems* like I should have plenty of length, to get into Kechari.

(Not to mention the fact that, as Yogani says, it's easier to "be" in Kechari, than to "get" into it .... meaning: the most length and "torque" needed, is for initial access).

What I'm experiencing, though, is:

*As Shanti wrote, several weeks back, if I inhale, and move my tongue straight back (with a bit of help from my fingers) - my tongue seems too "fat" to enter the space I feel there.

However, if I try to go "sideways", I feel the "flap" / entry point, but can't seem to get enough upward pressure to push the flap up ... every time I think I've got it, my tongue slides forward along the soft and hard palates, and it's back to the drawing board ("palette"? ).

There's a well-known Sanskrit term that perfectly expresses what I'm feeling:

"Argh!"

I'm actually *not* stressing about it, at all ...... I'm more just befuddled, per all of the above --- and am seeking any further suggestions!

It *could* be that my frenum is still "tethering" my tongue too much to allow for enough upward pressure - but again: based on everything I've read, and that I'm experiencing ..... it doesn't feel that way.

When I reach the end of the "tether" of the frenum, it seems like there is (or should be) more than enough length .... there's just something I seem to be missing ....

(As in: it feels like one of those things, where, as soon as I *do* get it, it will be like -- "Oh, man ...... if only I'd known!"

Ergo this post ........ please help me know!

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  09:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

There's a well-known Sanskrit term that perfectly expresses what I'm feeling:

"Argh!"

He He.. that's where the term originated.. always wondered...

quote:
if I inhale, and move my tongue straight back (with a bit of help from my fingers) - my tongue seems too "fat" to enter the space I feel there.

However, if I try to go "sideways", I feel the "flap" / entry point, but can't seem to get enough upward pressure to push the flap up ... every time I think I've got it, my tongue slides forward along the soft and hard palates, and it's back to the drawing board ("palette"? ).

Don't worry about the opening being too small to fit your fat tongue.. the opening is very flexible and becomes wider in time.. and this time is more like a couple of weeks than months. Just keep pushing with your fingers.. before you know it.. you would have slipped in..
I can feel your frustration.. but it wont be long now....
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  10:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Directly in front of and behind the uvula is a sensitive spot/nerve points for the tongue. For a while I would often let the tongue pull towards and stick to those nerves, which sort of calibrated my tongue and brain for the appropriate entrance point. Now that you are in that area more often, let the tip rest there. Allow it to start building a dynamic connection because the nerves in that area will start to guide the tongue as to where to put pressure.

The slip is not unlike another girls mouth. Just imagine that you are having pillow talk, a little puppy love emotion, and she playfully tenses her lips. They are flat, and you have to push the tip of your tongue through. The lips are behind and under the uvula. Though the tip of the tongue goes 'behind' the uvula, when you reach the slip, remember that the tongue pushes 'forward'.

Just wiggle the tongue almost in a circle around the uvual. Try to trace every single side of the uvula, as if you were digging around it like a post embedded in the roof of your mouth. As you continue to dig/survey, the tongue will dig deepest behind the uvula. Then before you know it, there is the strangest feeling of pushing deeper into a warmth.

At that point you will get a little rush, because it is new and a part of your goal. Just continue to explore the entrance and all goes naturally.

I would hold off on snipping for the moment, that way you can get a feel for what the tongue can do right now. Establish an energy connection to the spots before and behind the uvula, and circle the tongue around the uvula. Those methods should help the tongue find the entrance.

It is an exciting time for you in this process. Much practice has been done to get to this point. Relax, and enjoy the process.

Edited by - Kyman on Nov 07 2006 10:25:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  11:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Kirtanman

The tongue will slide up just fine when you are ready, which appears to be the case. Thinking about the how may create mental images that make it "look" difficult, therefore blocking progress. Once you get the tongue-tip hooked past the uvula you're in. Just relax the tongue at that point and let it come forward while still hooked. As it comes forward then gently push up.

Alan
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  8:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello & Namskarah* Shanti, Kyman, Alan & All,

*I haven't mentioned this in a while, so just in case anyone is curious: Namaskarah is essentially identical to Namaste - and both expressions have to do with greeting / honoring the divine essence in the person / people we're greeting.

Shanti - thanks for the kind words; I didn't realize you had gotten past the "fatness factor" - good to know - and thanks for the encouragement!

Kyman - Thank You!! --- this post was *really* helpful ----- I *so* "get" what you're expressing, regarding the path to Kechari being one of inner sensuality, kissing and love-making. As many yogic sadhakas realize, this is ultimately a path of "inner lovemaking", and creating a *very* similar unity to that experienced in sexual intercourse with another person - within our own bodies. VERY helpful - thanks!

And ... yes, I get (literally - meaning: it happens to me) the energy connection to which you're referring --- in fact, it almost seems like a mudra / bandha in its own right. For me, the tongue runs along the hard and soft palates in an inverted manner (bottom of tongue touching surface of palates), lengthened until the tip of the tongue curls back, so that the tip of the underside of my tongue runs along the uvula - but "upside down", if that makes sense.

So, there's significant contact all along the palates (hard and soft), with the most pressure immediately in front of the uvula, and on the uvula itself.

When I hold this exact mudra (I dunno - "Uvula Kechari"?? - just saying Stage 1 isn't descriptive enough for what I'm saying, since it can cover much more of a range) - I get a HUGE boost of ecstatic conductivity throughout my head and tongue, and sometimes down into my neck and chest -- and if I hold it long enough, while also doing spinal breathing, or meditating -- the enhanced bliss / ecstasy is soon coursing throughout my body.

So ..... "I concur".

My guess is: this (very) powerful experience is due to two key factors:

1. Finding the exact point (right in front of the uvula) that is a physical energy center (mini-chakra?) for the mudra to form (most of us know the mudra where we touch the tip of our thumb to the tip of our forefinger --- and if you put your thumb tip halfway down your forefinger .... "it ain't the same". Like that.)

2. Increasing overall ecstatic conductivity, so that I feel the ecstasy several orders of magnitude than I did even a few months ago (there's very much a "snowball" effect to all this, after a certain point, I've (ultra-gratefully!) found. For instance, I feel all correct mudras and bandhas very clearly these days --- if I'm "off" even a tiny bit, I feel it -- and if I've "got the lock" - I feel this, too. Ditto, mantras.

I almost (almost!) laugh at how arrogant I was, not long ago ("Mudras *seem* cool enough, but I wonder if they aren't a bunch of culturally re-inforced hooey, when all is said and done ...?").

(Nope. They're not.)

Alan - Thanks for this simple yet very powerful reminder! (Thinking = Bad. Relaxing and Enjoying the Pre-Kechari Journey = Good).

I *do* feel like I *barely* get the tongue-tip hooked behind the uvula - that's *exactly* where I seem to be. At that exact point, I gag about half the time (which tells me I'm in a different place than I'm used to - and making progress) - but the other half of the time, I feel that I'm that far back, and just *barely* short of the ability to get my tongue to slide up into the chamber.

I think the keys may be:

*Recognizing "hook" as the operative word --- if I get just a leeeeetle bit more tongue behind the uvula, I'll likely be there.

*Relaxing - rather than getting a "bunch of tongue" back there, and pushing up assertively (Yang energy, as it's sometimes called) --- relaxing, gentle pressure, per Kyman's NC-17 style Bhakti suggestions (which I'm likin' a lot ...!), and your suggestion to relax.

Off to conduct field research ........

Report forthcoming.

Peace, Namaste, and Kechari, Here I Come ....!

Kirtanman

PS - Lack of winks, smileys, et al per restrictions in the Quick Reply message box thingy.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  9:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your tongue most likely throbs when you do the "uvula kechari". The place the tongue is trying to make contact with is on the other side of the uvula flap.

For a visual sense, when in kechari, the uvula rests on the base of the tongue, in direct contact to the frenum. So imagine the frenum with the uvula dangling along side of it. From there the tongue is going straight up (if head is cocked back) or forward (if head and neck are in alignment).

It would seem very difficult to do kechari without the inner love making. If someone grew up around this technique and saw it all the time, they might be able to physically mimic the poses or positions, but they could not move beyond the paremeters of their bodies current state. The divine love making creates new boundries, or new horizons if you want to look at it inversely.

Hehehe, , I suppose that was rather erotic. I can't account for myself anymore, as I am so far removed from the normal way of looking at things. In fact, I would be the first person to start a club devoted soley to 'laughing at kyman'.

Edited by - Kyman on Nov 07 2006 9:29:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  9:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I didn't realize you had gotten past the "fatness factor" -

Ahhh!!!! Kirtanman.. I have complained about fat tongue twice.. the first time was before stage 2.. where you are now.. I got over that one.. not over the stage 4 complain yet.. Let you know if and when that happens.. none of the stage 4 people are ready to talk to me...
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  9:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The most peculiar thing started happening to me recently, which really opened up a deeper practice of kechari, and what I noticed was my tongue flatting out. Our making itself fat.

The tongue is almost like a sponge and if you flatten it around the hard palate it really does enlarge the tongue. I suppose, if you where able to get as much of the base of the tongue in contact with the hard palate, it would erect the remaining portion of the tongue into the nasal passage.

Cow tongue, hehe.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  10:44:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Lovely and inspiring discussion on kechari here.

Just a reminder that in the overall scheme of things, kechari mudra is a practice we are integrating with spinal breathing pranayama. From there, kechari can overflow gradually and naturally into other practices as it becomes an effortless habit that we do not even think about. This is how we will benefit the most from kechari. It is in the nuts and bolts of daily practice where we find the full results.

Romanticizing or mythologizing kechari mudra to the point that it becomes a fascinating end in itself will not serve the overall integration of multiple practices. This is a common situation in the many traditions, where the teachings tend to get fixated on a few practices and their related experiences, mythologizing them to the hilt, at the expense of the rest of yoga. Here we call it the mythical "magic bullet" syndrome. So be mindful of the potential pitfall.

This is not to say that everyone is running off into distraction. But you know what they say: "A stitch in time saves nine." So, just a little reminder stitch here.

We'd like to be inspired. We'd like to be enthusiastic. We'd like to enjoy! It is fun to romanticize for sure. But we'd not like to get lost, at least not for too long.

Somewhere in all of this is a fine line between useful inspiration (bhakti) and getting lost in the mythologies we all have a tendency to create. In AYP we find the line and use it by easily favoring the practice over the experiences (scenery) we encounter along the way. As we say in the lessons, "experiences do not cultivate enlightenment -- practices do."

All the best, and carry on!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  8:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

You heard the Boss! Now quit goofin' off an' get back to work!
Go to Top of Page

kitso

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  09:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit kitso's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum. What a fantastic place it is! Such a load of wonderful information. And as for Yogani.. well, I wish I had discovered about him years ago, but I am here now, and thankyou.
To the topic on hand..
I have the bhakti surging to get into stage 2 kechari. And I was told years ago that I am 'tongue tied'... I look at the amount of my tongue which is not tethered and it is very very short! ah, well. I have read a lot on here about snipping and even clipping and dentists helping out.I dont do it, and I havent even milked my tongue. My mind is probably in a wish it would happen naturally, which may well be self sabotage! Who knows. I read the helping methods and I absorb them very slowly. Because although I have such bhakti, I dont have the need to rush..sounds contradictory, I know. I have to integrate the amazingness of it in my own time!
At the moment when in meditation I get the feeling to move into stage 2, I am getting a sense that inside my head is magnetic, and is drawing my tongue in there... and my tongue gets more and more relaxed and soft, and seems to go further than I thought it could possibly go.. but no, it isnt slipping behind anything at all. Yet the ecstacy from it is more profound than I would have believed possible. Sometimes I have burst with crying, sobbing, from the amazingness of it and the passion it brings from my heart.
So I just continue.
And I would really like to know.. what is the bitter taste I am getting? I get a lot of fluid in my mouth. And it tastes very odd and bad. What is it?!
Thankyou to everyone here, I enjoy your posts very much.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000