New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  4:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YogaIsLife,
quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

And you ask how can you know this for sure Carson? By feeling it, noticing it, knowing in your heart. I know this will probably sound like a lot of nonsense talk to you but it is like that. The more you meditate the more you notice. Just because meditation makes it clearer to see, but in fact it is working all around us, at this very minute, and all the time.

Just to be clear here, there is no shortage of practicing going on over here. I won't miss a session for work let alone something trivial, so please understand that I am practicing away. And I feel I am seeing clearer then I have ever seen before. And am able to distance myself from any feelings this seeing causes better then ever before as well. But that still doesn't change my perspective on the fact the I personally doubt that organized religions will play any part other then adversary to the bringing about of the individual spiritual sciences to the mainstream. It would just be out and out poor business practices. That's all I'm saying.

quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

Try looking at it from YOUR own perspective, within your own heart, not from what you think the homeless or the Christian church or any other person's perspectives are. Not even from your mind framework or whatever it is that you believe is right or should be right. Look within. Again, it may sound just like gibberish but it is the truth. Don't believe anybody in fact. Do you want the truth? Do you want to know "real" reality? Than if you want it bad enough it will come to you through the power of desire. It's true. I personally find meditation is a great way to stay closer to the truth.
Again it seems like one of those "divine paradoxes" - the more you look and know within yourself, the more clearer you will understand the outside world. IT is a beautiful thing.

Doesn't sound like gibberish at all. And nope, don't see it as a divine paradox either. Just don't see it as you and Yogani do from within myself is all. Maybe that'll change. Maybe it won't. Doesn't matter. My only point is that organized religion will struggle against the rise of the individual spiritual sciences until that breaking point of human need is reached. It has to. If it doesn't then it might as well already admit defeat. And that isn't about to happen. Not without a fight. And the fight hasn't even officially begun yet!

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Dec 09 2008 6:39:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

nandhi

USA
362 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2008 :  10:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit nandhi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
aum

divine kirtanman,

pranaams!

pranaams to all! beautiful posts. warmth and radiance vibrates in its wisdom here!

heart's offerings of the sages to be set free from the opium of beliefs- choosing instead to be bliss form alight- adorning the 'now' mind and flowing as experience of joy.

yes, god- source without 'religion' is as having reached our destination and now, we are the 'knower' - being the same experience of prophet mohammed (aum shanthi) and all past prophets and saints. this is the age of awakening that previously was exclusive to a few and now the moment's celebrated gift for all.

the awake that is higher consciousness as spirit enthralled in the human experience with the fire of purpose alight is the unique religion of each.

so many source names to celebrate and yet beyond name as our own alight joy!

all in this awake moment, with gratitude!

set free to be!

aum

Edited by - nandhi on Dec 10 2008 12:53:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  2:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Carson said:
Not about EVRYTHING in general, come on man. What I am talking about, and I know you know this, is about organized religion's perspective on staying in control of human spirituality.

Carson, I think I did misinterpret you. Sorry. Your point was more targeted than I thought. Scratch those useless reams I wrote above. Oh you've already done it? Heh heh. Good for you.

Organized religion is not about to give up it's supposed monopoly on human spirituality just because a lot of people want them to. Like I said, that is like hoping that Big Oil is going to start implementing alternative energy sources just because we want them to, even though they are making a fortune off of us the way it is.

I agree that it is unlikely to let go of it 'willingly'. Powers don't like to let their power go. But they are pragmatic at the same time. They have to adapt. As people become more aware in general, it becomes more difficult to hoodwink them. There are long, slow processes there. Slow, but very real. The loosening of the political power of the Christian Churches began centuries ago. There was A LOT of progress from then to now.

The churches of the world have their place -- they belong, on the side of Balance and Awareness, as Ministers, Teachers -- not, on the side of Imbalance, as Divine Intermediaries. On the side of Balance and Awareness is humility, both personal and institutional, and the keeping to domain of competence; and on the side of Imbalance, the murky waters of sacro-mythical inflation, power-seeking, and cultcraft. The churches of the world are being cajoled and shoved by realities, from the side of Imbalance to the side of Balance.

The churches are being pushed, and it is human awareness that does the pushing. I don't think anything catastrophic needs to happen.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  3:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,

Glad you realize what I was truly talking about now. I am trying to stay away from this topic as I know it is dynamite for my soul, so I am only going to say one thing.

I agree that the loosening of the churches stronghold started happening long ago, but I do not agree that the flipover from majority of people supporting a religion to the majority of people practicing individual spiritual practices will be either slow, or painless (for the church). They have much too much invested in their belief systems to let them simply be corroded away by mere human pressure! They will resist until they are toppled (IMO). BUT this is just my opinion and this is all I should say on the matter. (I won't even START talking about shamanism, divine intermediaries and humilty! haha. oops.)

Love,
Carson

P.S. Ever notice how the words church and crutch are so similar in spelling? I messed them up earlier and had to laugh.

Edited by - CarsonZi on Dec 10 2008 3:21:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  10:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

Thanks Kirtanman
Just wondering about his emphasis on pranayama.
Yogani says pranayama on its own is not enough, there must also be some form of meditation. What does Sankara Saranam say about this?

KMLAPW [Kirtanman Long-Ass Post Warning]

Hi Sparkle - please note that your question is answered in the first sentence of my response. The rest of the post is more background on Sankara and GWR for anyone who has interest.

Namaste,

Kirtanman

Sankara actually advocates both (Pranayama and Silent Meditation), though with a clear emphasis on Pranayamic practice.

(Yogani seems to have somewhat uniquely - maybe just "uniquely" - discovered and promoted the ultra-powerful benefits which stem from an almost exact balance between the two disciplines - pranayama and silent meditation.)

For those (both students and teachers) who understand what works - some combination of pranayama, meditation, bhakti and inquiry tend to be the pillars of the given system of practices [we don't discuss the latter all that much in AYP, but the tendency toward inquiry* is an obvious effect of the other two activities --- just read through our forum posts, for evidence of that!).

*Using the term [inquiry] somewhat loosely - though I think most of us involved with AYP would say that inquiry (i.e. Who am I? What is God? Is there a "God"? Where does the Self begin? Or End?, Etc. Etc.) both drives our practices, and AYP forum participation, to a degree --- and/or is an effect of them.

Likewise, bhakti (devotion) drives practices, and is an effect of them - and like many teachers, Sankara addresses this aspect subtly, and without ever using that word.

Sankara clearly gets this, and God Without Religion showcases that understanding in some VERY powerful ways, IMHO.

Flip through it at a bookstore, and/or review the GWR site - I believe you'll see what I mean.

Personally, I don't know that I'll adopt ANY of the practices he recommends - only because A. AYP practices serve me quite nicely, and B. for the most part, the practices cited in GWR are very "entry level".

Sankara very much presents it all in an Open Source way - i.e. the key is to turn within, and become aware of the extent of your cerebrospinal energy flow, and the amount of energy available to it - and [KEY - to AYP and GWR practices] techniques for increasing the amounts of energy available for our cerebrospinal evolution.

VERY IMPORTANT:

(And Yes, smiling is very important -- but what I mean by the smiley is that I'm being emphatic is a very good-natured way .... )

GWR is not a replacement for AYP --- NOR is it promoted as such.

GWR addresses two key points:

*The Kingdom of Heaven is within You - as that well-known AYP group leader from a couple thousand years ago, in the Middle East, said in one of his Lessons.

*When we realize this (The Kingdom of Heaven is within You), it will help us to adjust our outlook and behavior in the world around us, and therefore positively affect all of humanity (via either small ripples, or larger ones).

GWR does an excellent job of illustrating how the world became like it is today (including the negative effects of organized religion, and why the hold of religion is so powerful, for so many people), how societies cycle, and various suggestions for how we can contribute to the greater good.

Therefore, I see AYP & GWR as perfect compliments to one another - AYP as the "Owner's Manual" for our internal practices, GWR for our "external" life in society (not in any restrictive ways, in the case of either - but as powerful pointers and sets of guidelines that can be powerfully beneficial).

Cheers & Namaste,

Kirtanman

PS - Sankara mentions that he was an ascetic - I don't see any current public reference to this, but he was very open about it as recently as 2002 or so: he was a monk with SRF (Self-Realization Fellowship) - the group started by Paramahansa Yogananda. I was involved for a while with Ananda (the offshoot started by Swami Kriyananda), and can say that this likely has a lot to do with the pranayama emphasis that Sankara has, in his teachings -- but it's probably a 70/30 split, or even 60/40 -- whereas AYP is basically 50/50 -- but the differences between the two systems are not that great.

Meditation and pranayama is not a unique discovery. Not taking anything away from Yogani, he has assembled a nice curriculum here. However, pranayama and meditation as a combined practice is ancient and diverse.

TMS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000