Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Kali Puja.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  10:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'd like to share a little something on Alan's mama. Tomorrow is Kali puja, in the part of India I come from....

These are excerpts from the following website:

Kali Puja October 21, 2006

Many Dark Goddesses deal with the subject of Destruction. The popular Hindu Goddess Kali, Supreme Dark Mother Goddess, is known as the Mother of Dissolution and Destruction. She is the dark aspect of the wife of Shiva (the dark aspect of one face of the Devi, the dark face of Parvati). As the goddess of destruction, without further study one might assume that she is ill tempered and violent, sadistic or insane in nature. This is quite untrue. According to Hindu mythology, she destroys ignorance, destroys that which incurs chaos or disrupts harmony, destroys the ego which interferes with the workings of god, and blesses those who strive to know God.

Both Goddess Kali Ma and Shiva are said to inhabit cremation grounds and devotees often go to these places to meditate.

The purpose is not to glorify death but to overcome the I-am-the-body idea. The cremation grounds reinforce the idea that the body is a temporary. Kali and Shiva are said to dwell in these places because it is our attachment to the body that gives rise to the ego. Kali and Shiva give liberation by dissolving the illusion of the ego. Thus we are the ever-existing I AM and not the impermanent body. This is emphasized by the scene in the cremation grounds. Out of all the Devi forms, Kali is the most compassionate because She provides moksha or liberation to Her children. She is the counterpart of Shiva. They are the destroyers of unreality.

When the ego sees Mother Kali it trembles with fear because the ego sees in Her its own eventual demise. An individual who is attached to his/her ego will not be able to receive the vision of Mother Kali and She will appear in a fear invoking or "wrathful" form. A mature soul who engages in spiritual practice to remove the illusion of the ego sees Mother Kali as very sweet, affectionate, and overflowing with incomprehensible love for Her children. Ma Kali wears a garland made of 52 skulls and a skirt made of dismembered arms because the ego comes out of identification with the body. In fact, we are beings of spirit and not flesh.

So liberation can only prevail when our attachment to the body comes to an end. Therefore, the skirt and garland are trophies worn by Her to represent the liberation of Her children from attachment to the finite body.
After Durga Puja, Kali Puja is the most important puja of the Bengalis. Ma Kali is the symbol of power, immense power. People worship Ma Kali to gain a source of sustenance, both within and without. The rituals required for worship Ma Kali are very plain and simple. Ma Kali is satisfied with the bare minimum fruits and foods. Elaborate cooking or preparation is not needed to satisfy Ma Kali. Some even offer 'soma ras' or pure wine as a 'bhog' to Ma Kali.

The main puja starts at midnight and stretches till dawn. In the midst there are to 'aarati'. Ma Kali is worshipped amidst the bursting of crackers and display of fireworks. It is said that the tradition of bursting crackers was a deliberate attempt to create a worlike, ambience. The name of Ma Kali is synonymous with destruction. Hence, the need for a warlike ambience. In most of the pandals, one could see various image of 'bhoot' and 'petni'. That is the symbol of various spirits of Ma Kali moving about in the jungle. Ma kali is a favourite Goddess of the Tantriks or better known as alchemists. The Indian alchemists worship Ma Kali and they say whatever supernatural power they derive, it is due to the blessing of Ma Kali. These people worship Ma Kali with great devotion. They perform the 'yajna' with fire and keep human bones to dip in it to receive the greatest blessings.

Kali Puja is mostly prevalent in West Bengal. Among the Bengalis. The Puja is held on the night of the New Moon in the Bengali month of Kartik, this occasion brings in a tidal wave of festive zeal amongst the various cross sections of society.

Edited by - Shanti on Oct 21 2006 07:45:56 AM

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  10:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shweta(That's Ma Kali with her tongue out)

Please give us a favorite Kali chant for the day.

I bow in loving thanks to our great deliverer, Mother Kali.
-Alan
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  11:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Balance

Please give us a favorite Kali chant for the day.

I certainly defer to Shweta for something more traditional - but in the meantime, I would be remiss in my Kirtanmanical duties if I did not contribute ....

Please visit

http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrim-Heart...p/B00005UK1W

... and scroll down to the list of tracks --- and listen to track #6 --- Kalabinashini Kali.

In my humble opinion, it's one of the sweetest kirtans ever written / chanted to our beloved Ma Devi of "Destruction".

And I agree - she's been given a bit of a "bad rep" -- which, as with pretty much everything --- boils down to where you're looking _from_.

Let's say you're three years old, and it seems like a "capital idea" to play with your trucks or dolls (or both ...) in the middle of the street.

You're playing away, and don't notice the two-ton truck bearing down on you at high speed - but your mother does.

Amidst of bit of screaming, the shock of a full body tackle by your beloved mother, and some skinned knees and elbows and tears -- you lay tangled in a heavily breathing heap with your sobbing mother, wondering what the hell just happened.

"Like that".

A LOT like that.

"People don't get it -- they're afraid of Shiva, and Kali - and even Jesus, who said things about leaving father and mother and brother and sister for his sake -- and they see these energies, these beings - these gods and goddeses as a threat. The reality is: Shiva and Kali and Jesus, and a few others -- are the ones who love us _enough_ to hack off our chains -- and not be too concerned if they take a little skin in the process. The result, if we allow it, is our freedom - the realization of our true nature - and the end of many lifetimes of delusion for ourselves - and quite possibly those we love most dearly. Personally, I'm far too grateful for a love that infinite, and a willingness to love and serve all of us with a dedication which matches that love, to ever be able to adequately express my gratitude in words - though chanting can at least point in the right direction."
-- Kirtanman [Slighty Paraphrased] - speaking to a group of spiritual friends, last spring, at a kirtan gathering.

Jai Ma Kali!!

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  12:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti,
Thanks for the post! Great reading. I have never really understood Kali. Now it is chrystal clear.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  12:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well.. this site has my favorite Kali mantra

AUM KRING KALIKAYE NAMAH AUM.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  1:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shweta. I never understood Kali, but now I have a little bit more of an understanding. Wikipedia's entry doesn't compare to what you've written here.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  1:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry.. I did not write this.. its all from the website I posted above..
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  1:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well you copied and pasted it very well!
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  10:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,

Gosh you're really God sent...I read so much about Ma Kali.........and never understood her and now I totally understand

When I had my spiritual problem my guru did an offering to ma kali (we offer fruits,flowers and parasadam).....nothing else

I always heard stories about the Kali temples and Kali dance and I always wanted to see the kali dance........

and my God I did........and it wasn't even in a Kali temple

Once a woman came to the temple .....(people with problems are recommended to come to temple )
she got up and started to dance but was unconscious (basically not aware of what occurred)she danced beautifully and very fast.....she danced just like how the stories say......

For the first time I witnessed this ......man I was scared.....this is a normal scene for some people and most temples......

I think it is sort of like .........a way of fixing them or the ego response, as you said the ego fears her.....

and the power that comes down on them cause erratic hand movements......... it is also the physical body way of handling it.......

Gosh Shanti I could hug you and kiss you .......that's why dead souls sometimes visit me..........I didn't know ma Kali dealt with that.........since I started doing offerings (WEEKLY basis) Ma Kali is responsible for allowing me to do her healing work

and your are right she is indeed beautiful, she loves me so much...and the only deity that answers me promptly
and you are right from experience she is not fussy about what you offer her.........some days I don't have the necessary offerings and i feel badly.........and she lets me know that's o.k....by the response of the bhakti....and when I am feeling unloved or down and and I approach my altar and ask Ma ........do you love me..........gosh I experience divine happiness....

But honestly I was 100% afraid of her before I was spiritually elevated.......I thought negatively of her because I did not have the experience, knowledge and understanding at that time....and plus many people are afraid of her....

I would like to thank you for this wonderful post.....again I learnt more............thank you

May God bless you

Namaste

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  07:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirtanman wrote:Amidst of bit of screaming, the shock of a full body tackle by your beloved mother, and some skinned knees and elbows and tears -- you lay tangled in a heavily breathing heap with your sobbing mother, wondering what the hell just happened."

Very nicely said.. you almost made my heart stop... phew!!!

"The reality is: Shiva and Kali and Jesus, and a few others -- are the ones who love us _enough_ to hack off our chains -- and not be too concerned if they take a little skin in the process. The result, if we allow it, is our freedom - the realization of our true nature - and the end of many lifetimes of delusion for ourselves - and quite possibly those we love most dearly"

Yes I agree.. thank you for this.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  9:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Kirtanman wrote:Amidst of bit of screaming, the shock of a full body tackle by your beloved mother, and some skinned knees and elbows and tears -- you lay tangled in a heavily breathing heap with your sobbing mother, wondering what the hell just happened."

Very nicely said.. you almost made my heart stop... phew!!!

Um ... thanks! [Just trying to get my head around "nicely said" and "heart stop" in the same sentence ..... ]

Seriously - thanks for the kind words.

Sometimes I manage to get out of my own way enough, that some cool stuff flows through -- and it looks like this may have been one of those times!

quote:

"The reality is: Shiva and Kali and Jesus, and a few others -- are the ones who love us _enough_ to hack off our chains -- and not be too concerned if they take a little skin in the process. The result, if we allow it, is our freedom - the realization of our true nature - and the end of many lifetimes of delusion for ourselves - and quite possibly those we love most dearly"

Yes I agree.. thank you for this.

You're very, very welcome.

Your response actually made my day!

On weekends, I often experience a weird energetic dichotomy, where all the things I *could* be upset about [money, loneliness, relational-ish quandaries ["do I take a chance and pursue her, or do I keep the solid friendship we have -- and are we really compatible, or do I have blinders on, because she's so pretty, and so cool ....." yadda yadda], family-related loneliness, sucky job, etc. etc. - come roaring to the surface, because during the week, I don't have a chance to think about them, and/or they're not as noticeable.

However, practices continue to go fantastically well, and I am continuing to experience beautiful opening, deepening and awakening.

So "net net", I'm not complaining --- but your positive response came at just the right time; thanks!

And, in terms of all the other stuff listed above .......

JAI MA KALI!!

And to all --- Happy Diwali!!

Aum Shanti, Namaste,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  04:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti

Didn't see this post until today.
Thank you!
You answer the questions in my last post
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....&whichpage=2

I still wonder what "Jai Sri (Krishna)" means....

I now understand why Death is Alive. One is the other, and the other is One.

Again....nothing but Oneness
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  1:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The link I have in the first post does not work anymore. But you can still access the article from here
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  08:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman,
I gen'lly skip over your long posts coz I'm impatient and short-sighted... changed my specs today and spotted your child with dolls on Shweta's bold quote. Good to see the long and short of things once a way... am bowled by the allegory... skinned knees and all! I'll read you more carefully now... even if takes me all minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  09:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Katrine wrote:
still wonder what "Jai Sri (Krishna)" means....

I think it means "Praise Lord (Krishna)". I am not a sanskrit scholar though...
As for what Praise Lord Krishna means... I mean really means, from a Yogic perspective? I would love to hear any answers.

Love and light

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  10:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi
Thank you!

quote:
As for what Praise Lord Krishna means... I mean really means, from a Yogic perspective? I would love to hear any answers.

Ohh......I see! Then it is simple: Praise Lord Krishna is what happens ...seeing that I am the blue/black/shiny space. The Love....the Strength....the incredible Fullness.....the immense Gratitude.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  04:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,
It sounds like you got it in one..
Very beautiful. By the way I love all your posts, and it is very inspiring watching how things develop in your sadhana (spiritual practice). I assume this black/blue shiny space is the ground of pure consciousness. I have only experienced it in dreams, and whilst astral travelling. But all the most beautiful dreams I have had, occured in this vast black space, in which everything shone as if it was illuminated from the inside.
I am wondering if this is the Akasha....?

Love and light

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  2:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All... just want say today is our Mother's day.. Ma Kali's day.. and just thought I'd revive this post.

Over the years I have been blessed by her divine grace and have had many insights which have helped many of the ideas I had on her fall away. Her love is endless.

The quoted link does not work, but this one points to the same site:
http://www.netglimse.com/holidays/d...i_puja.shtml

Ma comes in many forms.. and brings us exactly what we need when we need it.. and I would like to thank all who post here at the AYP forums... for sharing your knowledge and blessings.

Happy Diwali to all.

\-------/
                               \     / 
                                `---'

quote:

Many Dark Goddesses deal with the subject of Destruction. The popular Hindu Goddess Kali, Supreme Dark Mother Goddess, is known as the Mother of Dissolution and Destruction. She is the dark aspect of the wife of Shiva (the dark aspect of one face of the Devi, the dark face of Parvati). As the goddess of destruction, without further study one might assume that she is ill tempered and violent, sadistic or insane in nature. This is quite untrue. According to Hindu mythology, she destroys ignorance, destroys that which incurs chaos or disrupts harmony, destroys the ego which interferes with the workings of god, and blesses those who strive to know God.

Both Goddess Kali Ma and Shiva are said to inhabit cremation grounds and devotees often go to these places to meditate.

The purpose is not to glorify death but to overcome the I-am-the-body idea. The cremation grounds reinforce the idea that the body is a temporary. Kali and Shiva are said to dwell in these places because it is our attachment to the body that gives rise to the ego. Kali and Shiva give liberation by dissolving the illusion of the ego. Thus we are the ever-existing I AM and not the impermanent body. This is emphasized by the scene in the cremation grounds. Out of all the Devi forms, Kali is the most compassionate because She provides moksha or liberation to Her children. She is the counterpart of Shiva. They are the destroyers of unreality.

When the ego sees Mother Kali it trembles with fear because the ego sees in Her its own eventual demise. An individual who is attached to his/her ego will not be able to receive the vision of Mother Kali and She will appear in a fear invoking or "wrathful" form. A mature soul who engages in spiritual practice to remove the illusion of the ego sees Mother Kali as very sweet, affectionate, and overflowing with incomprehensible love for Her children. Ma Kali wears a garland made of 52 skulls and a skirt made of dismembered arms because the ego comes out of identification with the body. In fact, we are beings of spirit and not flesh.

So liberation can only prevail when our attachment to the body comes to an end. Therefore, the skirt and garland are trophies worn by Her to represent the liberation of Her children from attachment to the finite body.
After Durga Puja, Kali Puja is the most important puja of the Bengalis. Ma Kali is the symbol of power, immense power. People worship Ma Kali to gain a source of sustenance, both within and without. The rituals required for worship Ma Kali are very plain and simple. Ma Kali is satisfied with the bare minimum fruits and foods. Elaborate cooking or preparation is not needed to satisfy Ma Kali. Some even offer 'soma ras' or pure wine as a 'bhog' to Ma Kali.

The main puja starts at midnight and stretches till dawn. In the midst there are to 'aarati'. Ma Kali is worshipped amidst the bursting of crackers and display of fireworks. It is said that the tradition of bursting crackers was a deliberate attempt to create a worlike, ambience. The name of Ma Kali is synonymous with destruction. Hence, the need for a warlike ambience. In most of the pandals, one could see various image of 'bhoot' and 'petni'. That is the symbol of various spirits of Ma Kali moving about in the jungle. Ma kali is a favourite Goddess of the Tantriks or better known as alchemists. The Indian alchemists worship Ma Kali and they say whatever supernatural power they derive, it is due to the blessing of Ma Kali. These people worship Ma Kali with great devotion. They perform the 'yajna' with fire and keep human bones to dip in it to receive the greatest blessings.

Kali Puja is mostly prevalent in West Bengal. Among the Bengalis. The Puja is held on the night of the New Moon in the Bengali month of Kartik, this occasion brings in a tidal wave of festive zeal amongst the various cross sections of society.

Edited by - Shanti on Oct 28 2008 2:30:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  2:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much, Shweta

Great to be reminded of Kali today.

I am so happy to have met you through AYP and thanks for all your wonderful contributions over the years. There are so many of them!

I play the flute consistantly again.....it revived itself out of its case sometime this summer.

Maybe you can't hear it, but I am playing for you, the rest of the forum, Yogani, Kali and Shiva right this very instant
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  12:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Shanti,

Thanks a lot for this article and the links, I have always worshiped Kali, as the only one to help to destroy the ego.

For me she is Shakti, when making the clenase of what is useless.

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:

I'd like to share a little something on Alan's mama. Tomorrow is Kali puja, in the part of India I come from....

Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  12:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Diwali! Thanks Shanti

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/...mariKali.jpg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000