Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Any Spiritual Books/Lectures/Videos on Violence?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Westerner

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2016 :  9:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I don't want to have a discussion on politics or religion because it is against forum rules and when people are offended, it can interfere with their spiritual path. I know because it has happened to me. I will just say this, I have been exposed to much spiritual literature condoning violence in a non-compassionate way.

I'm looking for literature (or video) that helps spiritual seekers transcend attachments, primarily to the material suffering/humiliation of others in this world. I have very strong views on how society should serve/help the less fortunate in this world which I don't believe to be wrong, but because I am trying to transcend this world (maya), I know I have to discard my beliefs or at least change my relationship with them in order to make progress spirituality.

If anyone can recommend me anything, I'd appreciate it.I recently purchased a book by Paramahansa Yogananda titled, "Why God Permits Evil" which I found to be good but it was way too short.

Thanks guys.

Edited by - Westerner on Apr 09 2016 9:11:44 PM

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2016 :  11:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, here's a pretty inspirational movie speech on the topic ("The Greatest Speech Ever Made"):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKrqL9qQgKI

To transcend the world, we have to love it fully. That's the only way. The methods of AYP lead to an outpouring of divine love, which is sprung from stillness. The material world isn't denied or pushed away from; it's simply illuminated from within.

I've read plenty of Yogananda and recently visited his Lake Shrine Temple in Los Angeles. I've also met Roy Eugene Davis, who is a direct disciple of the master, and I've meditated a few times with the Self-Realization Fellowship chapter in Tampa, Florida. It's a good lineage.

AYP is really letting the cat out of the bag and spreading the knowledge in an open-source manner, so the message of kriya yoga will be increasingly available to inquiring minds who are hungry for liberation.

Though inspirational literature and movies are helpful, we place a lot of emphasis on generating a daily practice routine and working on steady, gradual progress. More AYP community activity is beginning to happen, and AYP is now registered with the Yoga Alliance, so our place in the mainstream is becoming more visible and is sure to attract people like you who are interested in the deeper aspects of yoga.

Wishing you the best in your pursuit of transcendence.

P.S. I would recommend the Deep Meditation book, or a subscription to AYP Plus, which includes the full Enlightenment Series.
Go to Top of Page

jean

Germany
107 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2016 :  04:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the story about Atreya Thomas:
https://revealingtheabsolute.com/about/

He also wrote a book: https://revealingtheabsolute.com/ex...he-absolute/
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2016 :  09:13:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rabindranath Tagore's collection of poems called "Gitanjali" will also inspire you much. Books by Wayne Dyer are also highly recommended.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2016 :  6:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
find your solace in the soul
sit and look within
turn the senses towards the self
its here it will begin

the anger may then to turn pain
the pain may turn to love
the heart can open to the light
to transcend and move above

forget the ills the woes of mortal man
our existence is but short
lift thine eyes to the truth that love
for all is the lesson to be taught

a rock a snail a mountain peak
are they all not but ourselves
the difference being is how we see
and how we seek and delve

for all the words from another mouth
from pen or by the sword
the sacrifice of just a petal
is a great gesture to the lord

so sit my friends while we have the time
and give the self to the fire of the self
learn the practice to go within
for there lies unbounded peace and wealth

deep meditation it will you back
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2016 :  7:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kumar~ Beautiful and perfect.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2016 :  10:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I am trying to transcend this world (maya), I know I have to discard my beliefs or at least change my relationship with them in order to make progress spirituality.If anyone can recommend me anything, I'd appreciate it.

Kumar's first three stanzas are great advice.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  07:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kumar
Go to Top of Page

Westerner

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  12:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I've decided to commit to AYP and have already finished reading the lessons on DM meditation and have begun. I'll take it slow and check out the recommendations that others in this thread have mentioned.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000