Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System
 Kegels/Reverse Kegel..safe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

noir01

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2016 :  9:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All.

Let me begin by saying I am a male who has been practicing Deep Meditation/Self-Inquiry for a year only and do not have an interest in Kundalini awakening, primarily out of fear.

I have been doing kegels to help me last longer but it was brought to my attention online that reverse kegels are important too because they relax the pelvic floor. So I started doing those and starting to feel my lower back pulsing a bit, kind of similar to the pulsing I felt in my head when I first started meditating because there was alot of purification to be done. Frankly, it kind of freaked me out.

Can someone tell me if this practice is not safe? For those that need clarification, kegels for males is the clenching of the urethra (like when holding in pee) and reverse kegels are the muscles used when releasing gas/pushing it out.

Thanks

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2016 :  10:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

noir01

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2016 :  11:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also if I can add, (again) I dont do any breathing exercises but sometimes at night as I am trying to fall asleep I do feel pulsing/heating sometimes at my lower base. Do I need to worry about a spontaneous kundalini awakening? Or is this is just common?
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  10:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Noir

I do both kegel actions with intent at times (although I didn't know they were called reverse) and believe both are safe to perform without triggering a premature awakening. This is by no means a guarentee, as we are all "built" differently. If it is your lot to have a premature awakening, and there are plenty of practitioners on this site who have had one (and hopefully will respond) even non-spiritual practices could trigger an awakening.

It took me a little over a year of AYP to arouse prana in my body, which you may be nascently feeling at present. As you purify and open nadis, the flow of prana in your body increases as blockages dissolve. It is interesting to feel the "inner winds" in the beginning, and for someone fearful, a bit unsettling. My understanding of a kundalini awakening (I have not had one) is the event in quite dramatic. The idea behind AYP is to prepare your body over time, through dedicated practice, to acclimate your system for a gradual arousal of prana and an increasing sense of inner silence. This is really nothing to be afraid of; you will find that your everyday living and relationships are greatly enhanced by silence and life force coming alive within you. A sense of knowing unfolds naturally, gently, and certainly is nothing to be afraid of. Most of us will take decades of practice before an awakening occurs, if at all.

A premature awakening can happen to anyone, there are no tell tale signs someone is more succeptable than another, and to have one without preparing your system from safe yoga practices is indeed something to fear. By slowly and surely building your vessal, you assure your best chance of enduring such an event.

The next time this fear grips you, take the time to be with the fear, breath into it and inquire as to the nature of it. With dedicated practice and experience you may find that the mind is drumming up this fear, much as the Wizard of Oz is but a bumbling old man hiding behind a curtain.

Good luck and good practice . Edit: wording

Edited by - Dogboy on Mar 04 2016 4:24:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  3:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Noir

I don't know anything about kegels, just thought I'd share the one idea that sprang to mind while reading your post - it might be useful to integrate spinal breathing into your practice before working a lot at the base. Spinal breathing would open/clear the main energy channel, so any energy you generate at the base can then easily find its way up with no risk of bottlenecks.
Go to Top of Page

noir01

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  12:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply guys. But BlueRaincoat...why would i do spinal breathing if I don't want the energy to move upwards, i.e open kundalini?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  01:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dogboy,

Your comment about taking decades to awaken Kundalini. I hope not since I get the impression that with regular AYP practice, it could take a number of years, not decades, but I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  04:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just info:
Asvini Mudra - A dynamic version of mulabandha (root lock), where the anal sphincter muscle is gently flexed and released periodically. This happens automatically as ecstatic conductivity rises in the nervous system.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  06:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by noir01
But BlueRaincoat...why would i do spinal breathing if I don't want the energy to move upwards, i.e open kundalini?
Because you are nudging kundalini by doing those contractions at the root. If you have read the AYP lessons, you have probably noticed that Yogani does not introduce Mulabandha until after spinal breathing.

What you can end up with if you're unlucky is a lot of pressure at the root with no clear path for the energy to go upwards.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  06:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Dennis:

Here is an excerpt from lesson 85:

quote:

Well, most of us still have a lot of house cleaning to do. And it is not an overnight job. It is not like hiring a cleaning service to come in for a few hours and the job is done. Even with the best spiritual practices, it takes years and years. Maybe lifetimes. No cleaning effort is ever wasted, as has been discussed before. It's the one thing we can take with us when we leave this earth.

So, it is the process of house cleaning that determines our spiritual journey, our experience. How we go about it makes all the difference. There are some approaches that seem to start in the middle of the enlightenment process. They start with methods for directly raising kundalini. What happens? Kundalini sometimes moves. Sometimes she doesn't. If she does, it can be up into a nervous system that is not ready, not purified enough. This is premature awakening, and is the cause of most extreme kundalini experiences. It is a tricky business, because someone may not have done any kundalini stimulation in this life and still be susceptible to premature kundalini awakening. Their nervous system seems to be wired for it. Maybe they did these practices in a past life and now have to stabilize it. Who knows? But there is no doubt that some are susceptible to premature awakening of kundalini. You will know soon enough if you are. If you are, you will have to be careful. Some others will zoom right through without a hitch. We should all be so blessed. For most people it is a gradual unfoldment, and advanced yoga practices are designed for that, not to create an overnight wonder. Just steady progress.

Bottom line is one never knows how long it will take, or if awakening is in the cards for this lifetime. Dedicated practice is your ticket to ride that train, whenever it arrives at the station.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  3:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Self inquiry also can lead to K awakening.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000