New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  6:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all. Reidmantra here. I have not done DM in a while but would like to give it another try. Despite great advice from many people on this forum, I could never shake the feeling that I was doing DM the wrong way. I do not know how to put up a quote or post a link but from what I have read from Yogani and some others, there seems to be two different ways to practice deep meditation. One way is to sit easily for about 1/2 a minute and then begin to repeat the mantra as often as you can, but repeat it in a relaxed manner. You repeat it for 20 minutes. When or if you lose it, just start repeating it mentally over and over again. The second way is to repeat the mantra at the beginning of meditation back to back a few times and then let it go and listen to it repeating itself. When it disappears and you know longer hear it, you pick it back up and repeat it mentally a few times and then just let it do its own thing again. You do that for 20 minutes and then take a few minutes to come out. Which is correct DM? Who ever answers this question, please do not use the phrase `easily favor the mantra'. Find another phrase to describe the process of DM. Please do not give me analogies or metaphors but clear examples of things that can and do come up in meditation that have to do with the correct practice. I know that DM is supposed to be easy and even effortless but I don't want to start my return to deep meditation with confusion again. Thank you in advance to any of you who can shed so light on this. Namaste. - Reidmantra

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  6:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I say be proactive. Repeat the mantra, not in a fixed way, let it change. Reread the lessons. It does not say to listen for the mantra. Sure, the mantra can start repeating it's self and you can't help but follow it. That happens and it's okay.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  9:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your name is a mantra ; if you were to say "reidmantra" over and over in your head for twenty minutes, you probably wouldn't have a hard time doing that because it's just a silly exercise, and it doesn't really matter if each one sounds a little different. Treat AYAM no differently.

I think many beginners are too serious about "getting it perfect" less you waste time and effort, but it's my belief one doesn't have to be so rigid, that purification can work if your approach is looser and relaxed a bit. The AYP approach is forgiving, and being close enough will get the train rolling.
Go to Top of Page

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  10:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I second reidmantras question. The way DM is prescribed particularly the point about fuzzyness, subtler levels, i dont quite understand.

I have been giving it a shot though,

I pick up the mantras sound clearly pronounciated, then release my grasp on the mantra and on the second repetition just let come out whatever sound comes without minding it, and it sounds like a mumble, then continue doing so until i notice a thought or observation of myself doing the practice, at which point i pick up the clear pronunciation again. Then continue to let the sound do my definition of "refine", which is just to stop my attention on the mantra and repeat the mantra but without a clear pronunciation which is done so by not minding it, then continue that way, sometimes until no mumble is present and usually a thought, an observation or a dreamlike vision of a related recent event comes to mind, sometimes i know im off the mantra sometimes im so lost i dont notice till a little later. Then i pick up a clear pronunciation again, and so on.

Christi is this right?

Before id just repeat the mantra lucidly 98% of the time, i rarely have thoughts during dm now, except when i lose the mantra, but never noticed any subtlety, or fuzzyness, just relaxation with that approach. So i can stay on proper pronounciation throughout most of the DM if i wanted to. This new way above i can describe as letting the mantra go, but is it right?
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  10:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What Dogboy said!
Go to Top of Page

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  11:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Found this

"

While all of these experiments sound interesting, I hope you are not doing them during your regular deep meditation sessions. It is so much simpler than that. In fact, the success of the practice depends on maintaining the simplicity of the procedure. Correct practice involves no analysis whatsoever, and no concentration. We are just easily picking up the mantra when we realize we are off with our attention into anything else. Anything else. And the pronunciation is as simple as how they say "I AM" on the English-speaking evening news. Spell it "AYAM" if you like -- this removes the meaning, which is not part of deep meditation. There is wiggle room on pronunciation, as has been discussed in detail in this topic: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=529

It is not necessary to peg the pronunciation or frequency of the sound, or anything like that. It is going to be changing during deep meditation anyway, according to purification going on in the nervous system. We let it change however it will. We just begin, and then follow the procedure for coming back to the mantra at whatever level we find ourselves inside when we realize we are not on it. That is all there is to it ... all the rest we are inclined to put into the process is baggage that will only hamper our natural merging with pure bliss consciousness -- our inner silence.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
"

Whats this about "at whatever level we find ourselves"

This is also a big point in the secrets of wilder, i don't understand it.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  09:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
JayLeno, as you have been posting recently about your awakening of prana and bliss, I'd say however you have been practicing DM seems to be working for you, so I can't fathom how you are still confused.
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  10:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello All. Reidmantra here. I would like to thank all of you for your responses. Dogboy you gave me a simple and straight forward explanation. I have missed this forums wisdom and advice, so thank you Dogboy. Thank you Bodhi-tree. Last night I took the time to read some of your previous posts to others and even some older posts to me. You are an inspiring example of what is possible with DM and Samyama. Thank you Jayleno and lalow33 for responding to me. I appreciate the wisdom and advice. I am going to sit down and meditate now and then again tonight. I have not meditated in months so I am excited to try DM again. Its great to get back on the forum and interact with all of you again. It helps me to remember that we are all on the journey to enlightenment together. We are all here to help each other. Peace and wisdom to all people that post on the forums! - Reidmantra
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  10:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dogboy,

I may be projecting onto Reidmantra and Jay. I just feel that having a mind that wants to get things right and becoming confused is a sign of purification. I'm like this. Prior to AYP, I was given a passive awareness meditation, and my mind could not comprehend. My mind wants to plan this and that strategy and get things just right. It's important for it to come up and see the suffering it causes.

My mind still does this! Just yesterday, I was making samyama strategies. My samyama practice is fabulous, yet my mind still grasps at it. At first, I like planning, but I can see how much energy it uses up and ends in suffering and to the extreme paralyzes me. I can let it go now, and laugh a little, but it still comes up.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  10:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Peace and wisdom to all people that post on the forums! - Reidmantra

Welcome back to the forums reidmantra!
Go to Top of Page

Jayleno214

USA
87 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  11:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah ive been at this for five plus years and it changes my experience in activity if i do the mantra one way or another.
But
Say the apocalypse hits and internet goes down and I'm the only survivor, I'm gonna practice the practices according to how i understood them. But since that's not the case i read the lessons and forum over and see things such as subtler and fuzzy levels. Im smart enough to know i don't know much you know. When i began i thought i would run into fuzzyNess or subtlety but it hasnt happened.
Is it something im not doing or should i disregard it?
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  11:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I just feel that having a mind that wants to get things right and becoming confused is a sign of purification. I'm like this. Prior to AYP, I was given a passive awareness meditation, and my mind could not comprehend. My mind wants to plan this and that strategy and get things just right. It's important for it to come up and see the suffering it causes.

My mind still does this! Just yesterday, I was making samyama strategies. My samyama practice is fabulous, yet my mind still grasps at it. At first, I like planning, but I can see how much energy it uses up and ends in suffering and to the extreme paralyzes me. I can let it go now, and laugh a little, but it still comes up.

We are trying to go beyond the mind with these practices. Not letting the mind get stronger with more analysis.

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 20 2016 11:42:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  11:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I know, but first you have to notice it, sunyata. It's not a trying to notice, just noticing. You can't help but see it.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  11:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Oh I know, but first you have to notice it, sunyata. It's not a trying to notice, just noticing. You can't help but see it.

That's right.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  11:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, if you see some layer of mind to mind, it could be.. I'll notice eventually.

Edited by - lalow33 on Jan 20 2016 1:50:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  11:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Reidmantra,

I would first be consistent with practices other than the times you are self pacing. You have received great advice in this thread and previous ones. Asking questions, analysis is good to a certain point. However at some point, you have to do the work. Do your practices like brushing your teeth, they will fall in place eventually.

Sunyata

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  11:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Yes, if you some layer of mind to mind, it could be.. I'll notice eventually.

The mind will be there all the time. Even with clarity. It likes to ask questions like " Are you sure that is clarity"? It's better to let the mind have it's tantrum like a toddler. It calms down eventually.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  12:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just notice the suffering ( eventually) and give it to my Ishta. That's where I'm at now. The mental strategies stop, and there is peace.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  12:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I just notice the suffering ( eventually) and give it to my Ishta. That's where I'm at now. The mental strategies stop, and there is peace

. Do that as well. Have you noticed that it comes back again but with a lesser charge to it? Here, it is noticed that the body is the last one that has to let go for deeper stories. The Isthas make it easier by taking off the charge a little.

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 20 2016 12:17:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  12:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know. It's brand new for me. I used to try to get "rid" of things, which is really holding on- weird, huh? I thought I was letting go, but it's obvious now that I was gripping tighter. I use to visualize my Ishta and me handing him stuff.. Now that I'm noticing more, it's just a fraction of a second letting go. My big block at my solar plexus lets me know if I'm still holding on, resisting.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I don't know. It's brand new for me. I used to try to get "rid" of things, which is really holding on- weird, huh? I thought I was letting go, but it's obvious now that I was gripping tighter. I use to visualize my Ishta and me handing him stuff.. Now that I'm noticing more, it's just a fraction of a second letting go. My big block at my solar plexus lets me know if I'm still holding on, resisting.

Lalow,

I was more dramatic LOL. I would throw it at my Ishtas feet and tell them to take it away. This is the mental part of the equation. You are right, I noticed that it was only a part of it. The Isthas aid you by taking the charge off for sure. The body letting go is the other part of the equation. All this happening while knowing the infinite nature.

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 21 2016 07:57:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  1:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sunyata, this is hilarious. Sometimes, my visualization was gift wrapped with a bow.. Definitely mental, but you gotta start somewhere. I'm to the point that I feel like it's all Ishta stuff ( my anger and fear, my happiness and love). I can let go of my happiness a little bit to my Ishta. Of course, not everything.

P.S. I'm sorry Reidmantra for hijacking your thread.

Edited by - lalow33 on Jan 20 2016 3:30:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  1:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
JayLeno:

quote:
When i began i thought i would run into fuzzyNess or subtlety but it hasnt happened.
Is it something im not doing or should i disregard it?

Disregard. Everything you are doing is getting you places. You will run into those "textures" along the way maybe, or maybe not. My "fuzzy" might not be your "fuzzy" anyway
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  1:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
sunyata, this is hilarious. Sometimes, my visualization was gifted wrapped with a bow.. Definitely mental, but you gotta start somewhere. I'm to the point that I feel like it's all Ishta stuff ( my anger and fear, my happiness and love). I can let go of my happiness a little bit to my Ishta. Of course, not everything.

P.S. I'm sorry Reidmantra for hijacking your thread.

LOL...We all have to start somewhere.Beautiful, Lalow. I have come to the same realization. Peace is here when one is able to let go of both happiness and sorrow. It's the identification with the mind and emotions that keeps us tied in.

My apologies to Reidmantra as well.
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  4:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata. Its Reidmantra. I had been meditating with the DM mantra for over a year and also practicing Samyama along with it. After a few months of no practice I really have missed it and want to return to it. Both deep meditation and Samyama have produced benefits in my life. Perhaps my frequent doubts about the basics of correct practice are as someone has said a symptom of stubborn and ongoing purification or it could be the fact that I am just the type of person that needs lots of reassurance that I am doing things correctly. I recognize that this need for constant reassurance comes from my childhood. Another thing to keep in mind is that the constant questions mean that DM and its related practices mean a lot to me and are very important to me. If I didn't care, I wouldn't ask. It is my hope that people like Dogboy, you, Bodhi-tree, Lalow33, and many others will continue to be patient and understanding of me as I continue to put in the work of healing my heart and strengthening my mind through deep meditation, samyama, sanskrit mantra chanting, and prayer to my personal Ishta. Thank you in advance for your current and future patience and understanding with me as I continue to grow. Namaste! - Reidmantra
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  4:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Reidmantra,

It's great you recognize where it is coming from. It's all part of the process. Once the Guru in you comes to the forefront, it gets easier.Keep going.
We are here to support you and sometimes we need the support as well.

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000