Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Fears and Phobias relieved by meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KatNow

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  3:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have a couple of fears and phobias, some quite innocuous and some that interfere with day to day living. I was wondering if anyone has felt relief or freedom from their phobias after meditating.

I have lifelong fear of moths. I can live with it. I avoid moths as much as possible.

I also have a fear of heights that started about 5 years ago. It sometimes interferes with day to day living. I can't go over highway flyovers without a full blown panic attack, for example. I can't go up certain 'open' stairwells. I don't like to fly, although Rescue Remedy makes it manageable. I don't like to not have my feet firmly on the ground. It doesn't feel right. I feel spacey and out of control.

I would have thought that with a regular meditation practice that stress and anxiety would be reduced to a level where everything becomes more manageable. I have been back on my meditation practice for two months now but the fear remains. Just thinking about heights makes my feet hurt terribly.

Any thoughts?

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  7:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, meditation gives you relief from fears. I had severe anxiety for years until I began meditating. 3 years into a stable routine, I can see it has decreased quite a bit. Is it gone? No, but these things take time. Anxiety/phobias are born from years and years of habitual tendencies, so reducing their effect substantially takes time. Just a realistic view. Plus meditation gives you a clearer mind, allowing you to see your phobias in a more objective manner for what they are.
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  9:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I feel the same as ak33. Meditation has definitely helped my anxiety. But as stated, it takes some time. There are some other little things you can do while you keep practicing and letting the meditation rework your nervous system. There's an Andrew Weil CD about Breathing that I think is very helpful.

By the way.... did you notice that you said "Just thinking about heights makes my feet hurt terribly?" THINKING is powerful isn't it? I find that meditation gives me a little space to choose some other thoughts.

Good luck! We will all get there!

Edited by - Beehive on Oct 25 2015 11:18:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
267 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2015 :  05:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KatNow,
I had no great fears, and the ones i did, meditation helped me with those.
Later on, I took on fears beyond my reckoning, I was not prepared, and without meditation skills I would have gone crazy, at least it seemed so.
Understanding that was required for me to overcome these fears came by utilizing meditation skills in real situations when fear was at its peak.
I would like to say to you two things.
One: Fear is not your enemy. It can be your teacher. When you feel it is coming, you could look at it as if your teacher is coming. Look at it, and see what he has to teach.
Two: Sometimes, to learn, we have to be void of our wants and expectations.
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2015 :  1:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had plenty of fear throughout my life and spiritual experiences have helped more than anything to make me more confident.

Even Yogani talks about some of his recent fears in Lesson 259:

http://www.aypsite.org/259.html

Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2015 :  4:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KatNow, I second the other community member - I also got rid of some fears/phobias.

IMO fear is a product of the mind when mind is not in the present: as soon as mind projects you in the future, it tends to imagine virtual scary situations, creating fear (in a similar way, when mind projects you in the past, it tends to create regrets).

Through yoga/meditation your mind learn to stay in the present, which helps a lot preventing fear and regrets - just living in the present, be it joyful or painful, but free of virtual fear and regret. Big difference, IMO.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000