AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 sushumna or other pathway?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2015 :  3:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I think this has been a topic since long ago but can't find it in the forum now. Here we talk a lot about the sushumna, the spinal nerve, going inside the spine. In many other traditions focus is instead more on the "tube" or energetic pillar, in the centre of the body, from the perineum to the crown. Is there another name for that energetic pathway in yoga terminology, or is it not relevant/existent in yoga?

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2015 :  4:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,

The sushumna nadi changes over time as we practice yoga. To begin with, it starts out life as a small channel running up the spine. As we purify the body, the nadi expands in size and moves forward, coming to the centre of the body. It always runs from the perineum to the ajna chakra though, even as it expands and moves forwards. Inside the sushumna nadi, is another nadi called the Brahma nadi (River of God), which starts at the perineum, comes up through the centre of the sushumna nadi, leaving it around the centre of the head and coming up through the crown chakra.

So if you are experiencing a large flow of energy coming straight up through the centre of your body and out of the top of your head, that is prana moving through the Brahma nadi inside a purified sushumna nadi.

In the main lessons, both these nadis are referred to as the sushumna nadi, with this nadi having a fork in it around the centre of the head.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2015 :  5:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks,Christi! That explains a lot! I'm asking, cause I'm now learning about it in neurobiology where it's called the notocord. It's a primary formation in embryo development. Microcosmos mirroring macrocosmos when we first exist as only some cells in form of a tube, actually mirroring the axis of the universe. The nervous system recalls it as the first formation of coming into form. It's a very basic familiar feeling of being centered and home, both in non-duality and the dual existence - the body.

Edited by - emc on Oct 24 2015 5:12:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2015 :  7:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting tidbit, emc!
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  09:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the central path thankyou emc this rings true in my heart and mind reminding me truths that lay deep inside my being thankyou emc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000