Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Scary experience during meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KatNow

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2015 :  2:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I occasionally have an experience during mediation that frightens me and I feel it is blocking me from making "progress". Here is an example:

I meditated for approximately 40 minutes this morning. (I normally spend 20 minutes meditating on I AM but felt like doing something different today as it was the weekend and I had no time constraint).

I used some crystals and meditated on each chakra for approx 10 minutes total. I then used the mantra so-ham, visualizing golden energy rising and falling. The method doesn't seem to be relevant as I have had this happen with different meditation techniques, though it seems to happen most often when I meditate on the third eye.

After about 20 minutes of so-ham, my body became filled with vibrational energy. A pleasant experience but I knew what was coming. After a little while I became less aware of the body and more aware of experiences, such as a shimmering rainbow of colors, watery and fluid, a bright light, a sense of hurtling through space. The body ceases to exist and I become ONE. The cosmos and I are one. I am freed from the body and am among the stars and planets, with no restraints. It's a wonderful, euphoric feeling but as soon as that begins my heart always starts to beat very hard. So hard I can hear the beating pounding in my ears. I feel the sound fills the room. My whole being is thrumming with my heart beat and I feel SCARED. It is very intense. The first time it happened I brought myself back into the room and my body very quickly because I was afraid I would die.

I didn't know if I had imagined that my heart was beating so hard but putting my hand to my chest proved that it was pounding frighteningly fast. Today, as soon as I felt the euphoria, I knew this was going to happen next. I tried to prepare myself, saying gently "its ok, youre safe" but still it happened. And I had to make a crash landing, with my heart pounding like I had just run 5 miles.

What to do? Why is this happening? I also feel somewhat afraid when I lose identity with the body and begin hurtling through space. I don't know what I might see or if I will ever come back. It feels like what people who are dying describe. Going towards the light. Is it astral travelling? Should I try to prevent it or find ways to go with the flow? Why does my heart beat so fast?

I've been meditating on and off for 14 years but just got back on my cushion a few weeks ago after a break of nearly 4 years. In the past this experience used to prevent me from meditating, it scared me so much. Now it fascinates me. But I want to pass through that barrier and stop crashing down to earth because my heart is beating so fact..I want to see what next......

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  4:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katnow,

The heart beating fast is one of the symptoms that can happen during the process of purification of the body, so it is being caused by high levels of prana moving through you. As you have experienced, it can at times beat very fast. It is nothing to worry about and no cause for alarm. Interestingly, during meditation, the heart can beat much faster than it does when people are doing strong physical exercise, but no harm is done to the body.

If you are not afraid, then you can simply treat it as scenery and carry on. If it is upsetting you, then it is time to self-pace your practice accordingly, to find a level where you are stable and where it does not happen. Like all things, it will not happen forever.

And yes, what you are describing is an out of body experience. If you are using the Deep Meditation technique, then all you do is to continue with the procedure of the technique: Each time you realize that you are off the mantra, you come back to the mantra again. All else; colours, stars, liquids, vibrational energy, euphoria etc. can and should, be treated as scenery. And again, out of body experiences, like all experiences, are temporary, they come and go and do not last forever.

Fear is also a normal emotion to arise with out of body experiences. Often simply experiencing fear can be enough to bring us back to the body. So that is nothing to be concerned about. The most important thing is to follow the procedure of the meditation with the mantra, coming back to the mantra whenever you realize you are off it. Fear is treated like any other distraction that takes us away from the mantra. Simply favour the mantra over the fear.

If the fear of leaving the body is too strong and is upsetting you, then you do the same as you do with the fear of the heart beating fast, self-pace your practices and make sure you are staying grounded by engaging in grounding activities every day.

It sounds like you are experimenting with mixing many different spiritual practices from different traditions. This can lead to a bit of a roller-coaster ride, as you may have found already. It can also lead to a doubling-up effect in terms of energy moving through the body. So you may want to be careful there and if things continue to be disturbing for you, try to stick to one spiritual system for a while.

You may find this lesson useful:

Kundalini symptoms, imbalances, and remedies

Christi
Go to Top of Page

KatNow

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2015 :  11:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi
Your reply and the link really helped. I was doing my regular mediation a couple days ago and I began to feel a whole body subtle vibration and felt filled with light and then I started to feel myself leave my body and so I did as you suggested and came back to my breath. it worked. It felt safer :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000