Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Pathological lying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psysaucer

India
44 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  06:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Has meditation practices helped you come out clean to people? In theory I hate lies and secrets as anyone else, but I've been lying compulsively almost all the time for seemingly random reasons since when I was a kid.

Irrespective of the dire consequences the lies may bring about, it is not necessarily a negative thing as long as you don't bear guilt is it? Or is it just a cheap excuse?

Edited by - psysaucer on Sep 07 2015 06:55:52 AM

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  07:34:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meditation gives you a lens to better witness your actions and their consequences, on you and others. As you nurture inner silence, you also purify your heart, which leads you living respectfully and honorably, doing no harm to yourself or others. The attraction to lying loosens over time, you see it for what it is, a facade, a mask to hide your true self behind. As you purify, your Self prefers to come out from the shadows and bask in the light of life.
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  3:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it has. As my practice deepens, I find it difficult to get away with immoral actions. The backlash is much greater because I am much more sensitive. To avoid this backlash, I avoid immoral activities.

"Irrespective of the dire consequences the lies may bring about, it is not necessarily a negative thing as long as you don't bear guilt is it? Or is it just a cheap excuse?"

Asking this question, you already know its a cheap excuse. A pure heart would not be able to stop the negative backlash of an immoral act. There's a quote in buddhism. To an immoral person, an act of immorality is like an eyelash falling on his hand, he can barely feel it. But to a moral person, an immoral act is like an eyelash falling into his eye, he can barely bear it.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  02:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear psysaucer,

The mere fact that you have posted shows you are bearing guilt about it. There is no escaping guilt /karma - you may have ignored it in the past but with a little bit of AYP and already it is rearing its head, asking to be addressed. So yes, the meditation practices will make you come clean, to yourself primarily, then to others. It is all about purifying the nervous system - right? House-cleaning.

Good luck!

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  7:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been going through some major house clearing with this lately, so I can empathize.

Meditation has, piece by piece, been bringing up aspects of my past behaviour that at one point seemed normal and acceptable, but with growing moral sensitivity, have become reprehensible by myself. These are things that to other people sometimes are offensive, but most of the time as seen as minor or insignificant. Nonetheless they have come up to be addressed.

What helped me was continuing with meditation, reaching out for help (as you are doing here), being willing to begin dealing with this (perhaps begin with a safe person, e.g therapist) and begin to build awareness and courage.

I've really been through the mill with this the last few months, I'm wishing you all the best.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000