Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Sound vibrations and the open body
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  7:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I know this is "looking under the hood"...but it's good to discuss, so that the best "owner's manual" can be made.

Has anyone else noticed how deeply vibrations effect the opened body. What I mean by opened body is...well I guess I should ask if anyone has experienced this: feeling as if that ecstatic conductivity is coming through the cells, and feeling like the nadis are very open? Like you're porous on a very small level?

Alright so anyone who has experienced that...have you noticed that your voice sometimes can travel all throughout your body? I was just sitting here listening to some music, and I began to hum to it and noticed the sound reaching down to my feet and shaking them somewhat. It has some effects on consciousness, too. Different sounds just feel different.

I was talking to Shweta about her birthday, and how it felt like a good day. Kind of like how the word banana just feels kind of silly when you say it. That kind of feeling.

So saying a certain syllable, like "ung", feels a certain way and makes things happen in the body as a result. Then contrasting, "sha" feels completely different. They work in different areas, and have different effects.

When in this opened state of mind and body, spiritual work must be really powerful. I totally avoid it now, except for standing chi kung, because I like being able to think clearly. Not be zoning out. I like to be in the now..and not stuck in my head.

Anyway, enough about my subjective experiences...has anyone else noticed these things, and have anything to add?

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  09:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't felt anything like it, but I directly think of my yoga nidra tape... Every chakra has a sound - ram, lam etc. I guess it has an origin and perhaps it is just the thing you describe.

I experience the opposite... I wake up in the night and my whole body is vibrating and there is a sound like a motor going nearby. I think it is energies working on my body at night, doing the purification job for me. It is a very pleasent feeling to wake up and lie in this dark, humming sound and feel the body being caressed by vibrations.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  10:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for responding EMC...I thought no one was interested in this.

What you said about chakras having their sounds - that may be what I'm talking about. When I change pitch with my voice, the vibrations in the body will move. When I do different sounds, like a "shh" versus a "ha", it will affect different areas.

I think there's something more to a chakra area of the body having a specific sound. I think it also has a specific pitch. If you chant the sound for the root chakra area, and the pitch it off, it won't affect that area.

So I think effective chanting would definitely be a precise science, and take someone with a fairly awakened body to figure out.

Anyway, it's cool to hear that you're enjoying your situation. I hope it continues to go very well for you.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  10:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

Ifeeling as if that ecstatic conductivity is coming through the cells, and feeling like the nadis are very open? Like you're porous on a very small level?

Alright so anyone who has experienced that...have you noticed that your voice sometimes can travel all throughout your body? I was just sitting here listening to some music, and I began to hum to it and noticed the sound reaching down to my feet and shaking them somewhat. It has some effects on consciousness, too. Different sounds just feel different.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your observations. I often experience the sense of what you so ably described:

"ecstatic conductivity is coming through the cells, and feeling like the nadis are very open? Like you're porous on a very small level?"

This evening, I was listening to some music, just like you describe, and I felt that "open" feeling, and, remembering your post, I tried some humming.

Sure enough, I felt it all over, including, very noticeably, the bottoms of my feel. I tried it without sound -- attention alone (energy follows attention) -- and I got a little tingle; however, when I hummed again, the movement of energy was much more noticeable.

It reminds me of when, on one occasion, I heard a Tibetan monk chant. I could feel it through my whole body.

Again, thanks for the observation -- scenery on the path to enlightenment.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  10:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What a great reply! Good work, bewell.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  11:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely, Scott. I had a thought just yesterday and wanted to tell a friend of mine. It was about sound, and how powerful it affects the body. Of course, my friend can't appriciate this yet.

Its like visualizations, they affect the body, you just can't feel it. Without being open, that is. Sound is going right through us.

I've read the yoga sutras and I can certainly understand the emphasis of om.

During one experience where the vibration took hold of my body, it felt like I was stepping outside of the universe some. I mean, how else can we feel the vibration all throughout our body. In order to be the moment, in order to be the witness, you would have to witness the opera of vibration going through your body at every moment.

It is no wonder that letting go gives the best results. By letting go of a particular part of the body you remove yourself to the witness perspective, where all of the activity of the inner body becomes felt.

Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  04:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So, why shouldn't we be humming the AYAM-vibration ?
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  10:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Am I missing something?

I thought that was a recommended mantra?
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  07:48:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the AYP-lessons it is explained that we should form
the mantra in our mind, that is we do not produce
physical vocal vibrations ...
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  08:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
There are different effects when either reading, listening,chanting aloud or chanting silently any mantra.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  10:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang

In the AYP-lessons it is explained that we should form
the mantra in our mind, that is we do not produce
physical vocal vibrations ...

Good point Wolfgang. It is fun to experiment with stuff.. but make sure we don't mix it up with our practice.

I have seen, when I listen to a mantra CDs.. and repeat them aloud.. and focus them on different chakras.. the pitch of the mantra changes depending on which chakra I am focusing on... and that part of the body sort of buzzes if you have the pitch right... Another interesting observation was focusing on a sound.. any sound.. alike "aaaaa" .. or "om"... when you say the sound aloud in C or "sa"(Indian music notations).. it will vibrate closer to your root... in D or "re".. it is at your 2nd chakra.. E or 'ga' is at your solar plexus.. and so on. I don't know if this is true.. haven't read up on it.. so don't want to misguide anyone.. but this is what I have seen so far.
Also, it is powerful.. so if you are playing around with it be careful..
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  10:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
So, why shouldn't we be humming the AYAM-vibration ?

quote:
Am I missing something?
I thought that was a recommended mantra?

In AYP a specific form of meditation is taught, called deep meditation, where the mantra, as Wolfgang says, is intoned mentally in the mind, and we let it refine itself, if it happens by itself, to get to more and more quiet levels. This has the effect of over time creating inner silence, or one can also see it as the noises of the mind get eliminated so the inner silence, which has been there all the time, can come to fruition within us.

In AYP it is recommended that we don't chant aloud the same mantra (I AM) as we use for deep meditation. As Yogani writes in Lesson 59: http://www.aypsite.org/59.html "The reason is that we use the mantra for going inward to stillness of mind and body. Chanting is an outside activity. We want the habit with the mantra to be going in."
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  11:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Another interesting observation was focusing on a sound.. any sound.. alike "aaaaa" .. or "om"... when you say the sound aloud in C or "sa"(Indian music notations).. it will vibrate closer to your root... in D or "re".. it is at your 2nd chakra.. E or 'ga' is at your solar plexus.. and so on. I don't know if this is true.. haven't read up on it.. so don't want to misguide anyone.. but this is what I have seen so far

Yes the western mystery tradition took it even further and designated a musical note to every letter of the alphabet like this

I ............................... G
J ............................... G#
K .............................. B
L .............................. F
M ............................. D
N ............................. A
O ............................. C
Oe ........................... D#
P .............................. B
R .............................. C
S .............................. G#
Sh ............................ C
T .............................. F
U .............................. B
W ............................. G
Y .............................. C#
Z .............................. G

I think the Indian and Tibetan systems are much purer and simpler for some reason the western systems made a habit of over complicating things like this, how you are supposed to combine the sounds of the letters into mantras i don't know.

Also as Shanti says this is extremely powerful stuff. Attempted without guidance i think it could cause major energy problems

Edited by - Richard on Oct 07 2006 12:22:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  1:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool!

quote:
Also as Shanti says this is extremely powerful stuff. Attempted without guidance i think it could cause major energy problems

Very true. There is a specific way the energy is supposed to flow, and if you don't know what you're doing, which is highly likely the case, you'll without a doubt get problems.

Shanti suggested to borrow me her mantra cds and I had to tell her no for this very reason. I suspect that very few people know how to effectively create mantras, because it takes knowing exactly where the energies will flow as a result, and also knowing where they should flow to still be healthy as well as spiritually uplifting.

To those curious souls: don't do it!
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  2:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All

emc wrote:

quote:
I experience the opposite... I wake up in the night and my whole body is vibrating and there is a sound like a motor going nearby.

I hear the hum (the vibrating "motor") all day and night. Several tones - both high and low pitches, but the one that seems to always hum the strongest is the key of F. It seems to be the....fundamental sound. It is audible always. I intoned the sound some months ago (I hummed with it) - and when I stopped, the whole room reverbated with the sound for a long time afterwards.....as if someone had struck an enormous bell....

Anyway....
I don't focus on it now. Every time I did, the Kundalini immediately skyrocketed....so I stopped "looking" at the sound. After all - it is an appearance in space. Not space itself. I stay home. I am inwardly quiet as often as I can. A couple of days ago I noticed that what I "feared" already happens: I explode whenever I relax (inwardly relax). Many, many times a day. But - amazingly enough - I am still "in the body". Or rather - I am both within and without . Exploding didn't kill the body! I still think I would have harmed myself if I had allowed the explosion earlier. Also - now I didn't decide...it happens by itself....in spite of me, not because of me. Even if my body survives, I am "dying to myself" more and more.....it is as if the whole identity is being ecstatically vacuumed away....The pain I wrote about a few says ago is but a vague memory. After all...pain needs a referance point to be continued. The "me" is this dot....when the me is seen, the pain felt and allowed, the residue is....just more space.

Sorry....I sidetracked....but I am certain of this:
Sound....vibration...is pure power.

Be careful.

Over and out
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  5:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Katrine

Sound....vibration...is pure power.

Be careful.

Over and out

Thank you very much for verifying this .........I agree with you completely

Namaste

Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  10:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It always felt like to me, as far as mantra is concerned, that the guru would bring that out as well.

Like an instrument that tunes itself.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  09:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

It always felt like to me, as far as mantra is concerned, that the guru would bring that out as well.

Like an instrument that tunes itself.

I feel the same way.. but I believe the inner guru does it.. maybe you are talking of the same..
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  9:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd agree that the iam mantra creates a sort of cellular light. Thousands of tiny lights.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  02:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Whoohooo!

I think we push each other by communicating here! "It is difficult to stay unaware in company of awareness".

In my meditation yesterday I felt the humming motor-vibrations coming from the root and spreading, but it stayed in the lower part of the body! And suddenly a noice came from the street and I felt it go into the ear and spread as a vibration all over the cheeks, as if the body was very porous and the cells were picking up the soundvibrations.

Cool! Thank you for starting this subject!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000